The Student Room Group

what university for a MA in journalism?

I still have 1 year before I apply for a MA in journalism, but anyway.. I'd like to do a master in journalism, not in a particular areaof journalism .. I'd rather do a MA in multimedia journalism to have more options. But I don't really know what university/ city to choose from ?

Just so you know, I'm a student from France ( currently in 2nd year of a degree in english studies), and I'd like to settle in England to work after I'm done with my MA, so I'd rather do my MA in an area with work in the journalism field. I don't want to go to London though because I don't like huge cities, and because it's too expensive for me. I was thinking maybe Manchester ? I don't really know, I just know that I want a university which is not too big, and not in a too big city either =).
Reply 1
If you don't want to go to London, than there's only really two options for you:

Cardiff and Sheffield.

Don't be put off by the fact that Cardiff doesn't have a multimedia journalism course as such, you can either do the International Journalism one or the Magazine or Newspaper Journalism one, both cover 'multimedia' journalism. If you're going for Magazine / Newspaper than you've got to mention in your application that you would want to work in the UK thereafter, because these courses are specifically designed for the UK market. International Journalism as the name suggest isn't.

Cardiff's advantage over Sheffield is that it is the capital city of Wales, and being the top university in Wales, you'll get plenty of opportunities. Their staff is also made up of former world class journalists, including a former BBC Director for Global News or something to that effect.
Original post by c2uk
If you don't want to go to London, than there's only really two options for you:

Cardiff and Sheffield.

Don't be put off by the fact that Cardiff doesn't have a multimedia journalism course as such, you can either do the International Journalism one or the Magazine or Newspaper Journalism one, both cover 'multimedia' journalism. If you're going for Magazine / Newspaper than you've got to mention in your application that you would want to work in the UK thereafter, because these courses are specifically designed for the UK market. International Journalism as the name suggest isn't.

Cardiff's advantage over Sheffield is that it is the capital city of Wales, and being the top university in Wales, you'll get plenty of opportunities. Their staff is also made up of former world class journalists, including a former BBC Director for Global News or something to that effect.

I've looked at Sheffield's courses, and they seemed really specific ( ex broadcast, print..) not really what I'm looking for. As for Cardiff, I'm not really interested by moving to Wales :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by skinnylove25
I've looked at Sheffield's courses, and they seemed really specific ( ex broadcast, print..) not really what I'm looking for. As for Cardiff, I'm not really interested by moving to Wales :frown:

Seriously? Why not Wales? I've lived in a lot of places - Cambridge, Brighton, Edinburgh, and now Cardiff, and Cardiff isn't any different than those four (broadly speaking), and Cardiff is a great place with quite a few opportunities here, particularly for journalists.

And don't be put off with broadcast, print etc classifications, they do a lot of multimedia journalism nowadays too.

Anyway, Sheffield and Cardiff are quite likely the two best universities for journalism outside of London, feel free to go to a lesser universities - I made that mistake myself and regret it ever since.
Reply 4
The brutal truth is that City, Cardiff and Sheffield are the best UK journalism programmes. Let's see, you ruled yourself out of two for dubious reasons and regard Sheffield as too specific. Choose whatever you want.
Reply 5

Have you ever been there? If not, at least visit. Then decide if you like the area or not
Reply 6
Original post by AdamCee
Have you ever been there? If not, at least visit. Then decide if you like the area or not

Are you referring to his disinterest in Wales? He's from France, might be as easy as him thinking that everybody talks Welsh instead of English.
Reply 7
Original post by c2uk
Are you referring to his disinterest in Wales? He's from France, might be as easy as him thinking that everybody talks Welsh instead of English.

Yep that's what I was referring to. And yeah could be, I was just trying to say that before he dismisses it completely to at least look into it a little further
Original post by AdamCee
Yep that's what I was referring to. And yeah could be, I was just trying to say that before he dismisses it completely to at least look into it a little further

I'm a girl , and no I know that people in Wales speak english lol, I'm studying a degree about everything related to the english language and the english speaking world civilization and literature, so I'd be pretty stupid to not know that haha. I've never been to Wales, or England. Actually I'm going to do my 3rd year as an erasmus student, I'd like to go to Ireland, and then do my master in England, but I actually know close to nothing about Wales so yeah you're right I should maybe look it up. It just doesn't make me "dream" lol but anyway.. Apart from these 2 universities, what are good universities for jounrnalism ( even if they are "less good" than those 2) ? and in a "cheap" location would be better because I'm gonna ruin myself to pay for this master so I don't have the money to live someplace where stuff are expensive.
Reply 9
I'm a girl , and no I know that people in Wales speak english lol, I'm studying a degree about everything related to the english language and the english speaking world civilization and literature, so I'd be pretty stupid to not know that haha. I've never been to Wales, or England. Actually I'm going to do my 3rd year as an erasmus student, I'd like to go to Ireland, and then do my master in England, but I actually know close to nothing about Wales so yeah you're right I should maybe look it up. It just doesn't make me "dream" lol but anyway.. Apart from these 2 universities, what are good universities for jounrnalism ( even if they are "less good" than those 2) ? and in a "cheap" location would be better because I'm gonna ruin myself to pay for this master so I don't have the money to live someplace where stuff are expensive.

Whoops my bad. And my bad again lol but just to be sure... Although in some parts they do speak Welsh as a first language I think? Not entirely sure there myself.

I understand what you mean about it not being your dream so ultimately it's up to you; would you sacrifice your degree's reputation slightly for a nicer location, or prefer to get a slightly better degree in an area you aren't interested in so much (although.. Never know - may love it there!)

Cardiff is a cheap location iirc :P

I've never actually looked up Irish uni's although I have a feeling Dublin is quite a respectable one - if you look at any league tables it won't be on there though as it's not in the UK.

Other than that I'm not sure of best uni's for journalism, sorry
Reply 10
I'm a girl , and no I know that people in Wales speak english lol, I'm studying a degree about everything related to the english language and the english speaking world civilization and literature, so I'd be pretty stupid to not know that haha. I've never been to Wales, or England. Actually I'm going to do my 3rd year as an erasmus student, I'd like to go to Ireland, and then do my master in England, but I actually know close to nothing about Wales so yeah you're right I should maybe look it up. It just doesn't make me "dream" lol but anyway..

Wait a second, you learn about everything related to the English language, and the English speaking world civilization and literature, and you know next to nothing about Wales?

Let's get started:

1. Caerphilly castle (ca. 10miles north of Cardiff) is the second largest castle in the UK - after Windsor. True, it's not properly intact any more but it's still a historic site.
2. I believe Wales has more castles per square mile than any other country in the world
3. Cardiff was once the biggest coal port in the world - the port has been completely redeveloped and is now quite a posh area (Cardiff Bay)
4. It is believed that the third Marquess of Bute - a Cardiffian - was once the richest man in the world, thanks to the coal export. He also rebuilt Cardiff Castle and established Bute Park.
5. the first cheque over a million £ was also signed in Cardiff
6. Closer to the here and there, Doctor Who is filmed here (and Sherlock every once in a while, you may know Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman) and Cardiff University has served as a location in quite a few of these. There's the Doctor Who experience in the Bay, and the BBC studios, the second biggest outside London.
7. Wales is a devolved nation, with its own National Assembly, based in Cardiff
8. The Gower Peninsula, about 1.5 hours by car from Cardiff, has one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe - and yes, the weather allows you to enjoy it. There are also very nice beaches closer to Cardiff.
9. We have dolphins: in 2013 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20964647 and just this weekend: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-29418014

I came to the UK (Brighton to be precise) about 10 years ago (I'm German), and the first week was terrible and I wanted to go home immediately. The cultural differences I experienced were quite drastic. I came to really like the country though. I lived a year and a half near Brighton (pebble beaches, very active night life, not much else), then three and a half years in Cambridge - very historic town, a lot of tourists and international students, no night life, no shopping, not much of anything apart from sightseeing. After that 2 years in Edinburgh - had everything, a great city but gets very dark during the winter months and slightly too spread out. Cardiff, isn't all that different from these cities but in my opinion combines a lot of the good things - has a good night life, has a good city centre (none of the other cities really had a good city centre) with decent shopping opportunities - though Edinburgh had better independent shops, and so had Brighton (the North Laine, and the Lanes), got a castle right in the city centre and a fairly large park.

Apart from these 2 universities, what are good universities for jounrnalism ( even if they are "less good" than those 2) ? and in a "cheap" location would be better because I'm gonna ruin myself to pay for this master so I don't have the money to live someplace where stuff are expensive.

Journalism these days is a very tough career, you want to go to the best university. I made the mistake of not doing this, and I regret it.

And yes, Cardiff is one of the more affordable university cities, definitely the more affordable one when compared to similarly sized (and bigger) university cities.
Cardiff has an excellent art gallery, concert house and great hiking in nearby hills. I know a few English students who studied in Cardiff and they had positive experience. The MA journo course is top 3 and taught by some well known journalists. Living cost is lower than most cities and Cardiff still offers a city experience
Original post by c2uk
Wait a second, you learn about everything related to the English language, and the English speaking world civilization and literature, and you know next to nothing about Wales?

Let's get started:

1. Caerphilly castle (ca. 10miles north of Cardiff) is the second largest castle in the UK - after Windsor. True, it's not properly intact any more but it's still a historic site.
2. I believe Wales has more castles per square mile than any other country in the world
3. Cardiff was once the biggest coal port in the world - the port has been completely redeveloped and is now quite a posh area (Cardiff Bay)
4. It is believed that the third Marquess of Bute - a Cardiffian - was once the richest man in the world, thanks to the coal export. He also rebuilt Cardiff Castle and established Bute Park.
5. the first cheque over a million £ was also signed in Cardiff
6. Closer to the here and there, Doctor Who is filmed here (and Sherlock every once in a while, you may know Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman) and Cardiff University has served as a location in quite a few of these. There's the Doctor Who experience in the Bay, and the BBC studios, the second biggest outside London.
7. Wales is a devolved nation, with its own National Assembly, based in Cardiff
8. The Gower Peninsula, about 1.5 hours by car from Cardiff, has one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe - and yes, the weather allows you to enjoy it. There are also very nice beaches closer to Cardiff.
9. We have dolphins: in 2013 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20964647 and just this weekend: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-29418014

I came to the UK (Brighton to be precise) about 10 years ago (I'm German), and the first week was terrible and I wanted to go home immediately. The cultural differences I experienced were quite drastic. I came to really like the country though. I lived a year and a half near Brighton (pebble beaches, very active night life, not much else), then three and a half years in Cambridge - very historic town, a lot of tourists and international students, no night life, no shopping, not much of anything apart from sightseeing. After that 2 years in Edinburgh - had everything, a great city but gets very dark during the winter months and slightly too spread out. Cardiff, isn't all that different from these cities but in my opinion combines a lot of the good things - has a good night life, has a good city centre (none of the other cities really had a good city centre) with decent shopping opportunities - though Edinburgh had better independent shops, and so had Brighton (the North Laine, and the Lanes), got a castle right in the city centre and a fairly large park.

Journalism these days is a very tough career, you want to go to the best university. I made the mistake of not doing this, and I regret it.

And yes, Cardiff is one of the more affordable university cities, definitely the more affordable one when compared to similarly sized (and bigger) university cities.

I know nothing about Wales because i think the class about Wales is in 3rd year. . Thanks for all the info :smile:. So do you know if its hard to get in this uni? And is there a lot of international students? And is cardiff a cosmopolitan city ?
Reply 13

I'm from nearCardiff and have lived in London for years, I'm going to be moving back soon as I miss the city so much. Compared to lots of British (well..) cities, it has a lot to offer, especially culturally since it's the Welsh capital.
Reply 14
Here are some pictures of the city:

house-sitting-uk-cardiff_01_l.jpg
cardiff-christmas-lights-2010-14.jpg
house-sitting-uk-cardiff_02_l.jpg
Cardiff-Bay-at-night_.jpg
towns-cardiff-castle-large.jpg
2014-07-09-14-40-33-plan-your-visit-23-1-image1.jpg
cardiff-bay-december-2011-13.jpg
42995873.jpg
tk-max-cardiff.jpg
Reply 15
So do you know if its hard to get in this uni? And is there a lot of international students? And is cardiff a cosmopolitan city ?

1. You need a 2.1 equivalent (not sure what that would be for France), and show an interest in journalism, e.g. have written something already - can be something like your own blog.

2. There are quite some international students, the majority of which study at the Business School, the Law School and the School of Engineering, Journalism also gets a decent amount but their MA/PgDip Journalism (Broadcast, Newspaper, Magazine) is purely relevant for the UK industry. There's also a variety of cultural societies, including a French society: http://www.cardiffstudents.com/activities/societies/list/

3. That depends how you define cosmopolitan. It's got a lot of things going for itself, including a variety of festivals (not in the same league as Edinburgh though), there's an international food festival
I'm Welsh and have spent the last 3 years studying for a BSc in Cardiff. I'm now studying for a MSc full time.

95% of my University friends were not Welsh (mainly English, French, German and also 1 girl from Zimbabwe!)
Since finishing the BSc, only 5 out of about 20 of my 'closest' friends have returned to their home towns - the others loved Wales and Cardiff so much that they've decided that this is where they want to continue to live, work and eventually bring up a family!

I don't speak Welsh (though Welsh kids are forced to learn a little while at school) and I don't know anybody that speaks Welsh as a first language - North Wales is known for speaking Welsh, while the South (where all but 2 of the universities are) are known for not being able to speak a word of it haha!

I can honestly say that Cardiff is able to offer everything you can think of! Pubs, clubs, bars, restaurants, gardens, riversides, fields, bays, water views, mountain views, woodland, art galleries, theatres, concerts, museums, outdoor dining, indoor dining, cinemas, outdoor concerts, fairgrounds, ice skating and so much more!! Honestly!
Reply 17
Original post by Marcia107
I'm Welsh and have spent the last 3 years studying for a BSc in Cardiff. I'm now studying for a MSc full time.

What are you studying?
My BSc was in Physical Geography and my MSc is in Environmental Management.
My 'best uni friend' studies International Journalism :smile:
Thanks for all your advice, it was helpful =). But it's hard to make up my mind haha, but I still have until september to decide where to apply, and I'm doing my last semester abroad in Dublin next year, so who knows maybe I'll like Ireland and decide to do my MA in Dublin !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending