The Student Room Group

Exeter or Bristol?

I'm applying to do English at Cambridge, Cardiff, Warwick and Southampton so far - really stuck on my fifth choice! I won't have time to see either uni before applying and I like the look of both of them so which should I go for?
Reply 1
Original post by Sixteeen
I'm applying to do English at Cambridge, Cardiff, Warwick and Southampton so far - really stuck on my fifth choice! I won't have time to see either uni before applying and I like the look of both of them so which should I go for?

Personally I'd go for Bristol. Courses at exeter- even English- are very much steered towards the environment and environmental issues. I think it follows a more rigid and structured formula with less choice. Having said that that could be what you want. I'd look at the modules each uni offers, and choose whichever modules you like the sound of more.
Reply 2
I'm applying to Exeter for English - I honestly don't think there's much between the two, but as the previous poster says, Exeter is likely to be a bit more rigid on modules etc.. It depends what you like, I suppose.
Original post by gaba1411
Personally I'd go for Bristol. Courses at exeter- even English- are very much steered towards the environment and environmental issues. I think it follows a more rigid and structured formula with less choice. Having said that that could be what you want. I'd look at the modules each uni offers, and choose whichever modules you like the sound of more.

You're right about Exeter being fairly rigid and not giving much scope for choosing your own modules, however you're completely wrong about the environmental point.

Other than a few friends who do geography I don't know a single person here who has ever thought that the university pushes them towards the environmental side of things.
I'm applying to both. There's little difference in the courses, so see which type of uni you prefer maybe?
Personally I prefer the look of Exeter's course and campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to both. Bear in mind that for Exeter you can apply for English with study in North America :smile:
Reply 6

I am thinking of applying for English at Southampton but cannot make an open day before my UCAS will be sent off. Can you give me your opinion of it please?☺️
Reply 7
Original post by LJDRx
I am thinking of applying for English at Southampton but cannot make an open day before my UCAS will be sent off. Can you give me your opinion of it please?☺️

I really liked it! What other unis are you applying for?
It was quite modern, and the accommodation was really nice. I liked the course too but that's more a personal preference.

What I would say is that Southampton usually has places left in clearing, so if you're choosing between unis just bear that in mind. I personally don't want to risk it but I know people who are doing that. :smile:
Reply 8
I really liked it! What other unis are you applying for?
It was quite modern, and the accommodation was really nice. I liked the course too but that's more a personal preference.

What I would say is that Southampton usually has places left in clearing, so if you're choosing between unis just bear that in mind. I personally don't want to risk it but I know people who are doing that. :smile:

Ah sounds nice! Yes the Southampton module choice is so vast its great.

In the end I have decided on exeter, kent, warwick, loughborough and surrey. How about yourself?😊

Oh really? I never knew that, thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by LJDRx
Ah sounds nice! Yes the Southampton module choice is so vast its great.

In the end I have decided on exeter, kent, warwick, loughborough and surrey. How about yourself?������

Oh really? I never knew that, thanks!

Good choices! I went for Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Cardiff and Southampton :smile:

Got a conditional offer from Southampton today!!! Good luck with your application!
Reply 10
Good choices! I went for Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Cardiff and Southampton :smile:

Got a conditional offer from Southampton today!!! Good luck with your application!

Ah lovely choices!

Eeek how exciting!! Thank you, and you too, all the best!!
Reply 11
What did people think of English at Cardiff???
Reply 12
Original post by A.nonX
What did people think of English at Cardiff???

I thought it was pretty good, the building wasn't that nice but it was an alright course. Depends what you're looking for! Where else are you applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending