The Student Room Group

Lost my motivation

Hello

I just started College and for the whole year my plan was to do Chemistry, Physics, Maths and History. I have always wanted to go to Cambridge Uni and study general engineering there. Therefore when it came to induction day, the Oxbridge dude said that if I have any likely chance of wanting to go there I needed to pick further maths. (He showed me the website and Cambrdige said Yeah i pretty much have tooo) I did not want to drop my other subjects as I loved them, thus I picked 5.

However 3 weeks in and 5 subjects is all read straining me, it is just the further maths module. If I dropped either Chem ,physics or history I think I could handle it but doing all 5 I cannot. Plus I love these 3 so I will not drop them. SO now I am likely considering dropping further maths and going back to 4. I really thought I could do it, considering I am a very determined person. This is really hard though because I know if I drop it, my dream of going to Cambridge has pretty much gone. I feel really upset and distraught and my motivation for everything has just gone. I feel like I have failed. Everyone says 4 A's is better then 3A's and 2B's etc but my mentality is 5A's is better then 4. But like i Said getting them 5A's is too hard but if i keep it at least I tried? :wink: Please can someone help with what to do, I am really confused. I thought I could hack I but I cannot.

Thanks
Original post by sam19972014
Hello

I just started College and for the whole year my plan was to do Chemistry, Physics, Maths and History. I have always wanted to go to Cambridge Uni and study general engineering there. Therefore when it came to induction day, the Oxbridge dude said that if I have any likely chance of wanting to go there I needed to pick further maths. (He showed me the website and Cambrdige said Yeah i pretty much have tooo) I did not want to drop my other subjects as I loved them, thus I picked 5.

However 3 weeks in and 5 subjects is all read straining me, it is just the further maths module. If I dropped either Chem ,physics or history I think I could handle it but doing all 5 I cannot. Plus I love these 3 so I will not drop them. SO now I am likely considering dropping further maths and going back to 4. I really thought I could do it, considering I am a very determined person. This is really hard though because I know if I drop it, my dream of going to Cambridge has pretty much gone. I feel really upset and distraught and my motivation for everything has just gone. I feel like I have failed. Everyone says 4 A's is better then 3A's and 2B's etc but my mentality is 5A's is better then 4. But like i Said getting them 5A's is too hard but if i keep it at least I tried? :wink: Please can someone help with what to do, I am really confused. I thought I could hack I but I cannot.

Thanks

I'm taking 5 as well. I really wanted to do four but now I don't know what one to drop (for different reasons to yours though). My suggestion is to stick with the further maths, it might be hard, but it will help you get where you want to be in the end.Though I have just looked at the website and it doesn't say you specifically need further maths as you do chemistry, maths and physics. You might want to check it out for yourself.
Don't feel you have to drop something else to make room for it. If you love the other subjects don't get rid of them because at A level it is meant to be about doing the things you love. Besides if you drop something else for further, chances are you won't do as well in further anyway. It will make it harder to do the course you want but will make it easier for you to get the grades you want.
Reply 2
Why not drop history and read about it as your hobby?

Most of top uni don't care whether you did a history A level for science course. They want the ability and passion for their course. When you could choose FM, choosing histort will appear to be weird - they might think that you're not good enough for their highly mathematical course like engineering.

A level is a passport to further step in the life. You should be doing something you enjoy, but nobody said you had to have a qualification in everything you enjoy.

I'd definitely drop history if I were you. I don't know what aspect of history you like, but you can always read about it on the train or whatever for fun. Whereas you need to prove that you're mathematically able by taking FM exams and get high score if you are aiming for the top uni such as Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If Engineering is your dream then you'll either need to figure out how to balance 5 or drop History.
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
If Engineering is your dream then you'll either need to figure out how to balance 5 or drop History.

'Nuff said. Engineering/Maths/Computer Science/maybe Physics at the top unis need further maths for your application to stand a good chance. *Especially* if your school offers it. History does seem like your 'odd' subject that doesn't match science so perhaps drop that? Chemistry isn't vital either, so you could drop that (unless you are interested in chem engg.)

Quick Reply

Latest