The Student Room Group

Homophobia? or their business, their right?

Scroll to see replies

Homophobia.

Also, why Anon?
Both.
it's her right to refuse costumers on the grounds of religious beliefs (that are outdated and stupid) but this doesn't mean it's not homophobic?

you'll find that rights and homophobia coexist quite often

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by RayApparently
Homophobia.

Also, why Anon?

My right?
Original post by Anonymous
My right?

No doubt, just wondering why you don't want to be associated with this post - its not that controversial by TSR standards.
This is difficult. On the one hand, I don't think a business should be forced to serve anyone since it is their business. On the other hand, this is blatantly extremely homophobic and I have absolutely zero sympathy with the bakers. I'm not sure whether or not this should be law, but I can't say I'm sorry about their business going flat.
Original post by Chlorophile
This is difficult. On the one hand, I don't think a business should be forced to serve anyone since it is their business. On the other hand, this is blatantly extremely homophobic and I have absolutely zero sympathy with the bakers. I'm not sure whether or not this should be law, but I can't say I'm sorry about their business going flat.

Haha, I on the other-hand do think it should be the law - but feel sorry for the bakers' business woes.
Original post by RayApparently
Haha, I on the other-hand do think it should be the law - but feel sorry for the bakers' business woes.

I'd like it to be law, but I'm not sure how I could justify it. I don't think it's fair to force people to be nice, but I do think it's entirely fair that they should face the consequences of being unpleasant. I would rather the definition of "good" lie with the public than in law.
Reply 9
If this is OK then it should also be OK to refuse service to someone because they are black.
Well...I mean, yes, a little homophobic, but...it is their business- surely it is their right to refuse business to anyone they choose. The actual problem is the reason they gave.
Original post by james22
If this is OK then it should also be OK to refuse service to someone because they are black.

Agreed, sexuality should be equal to race in the eye of the law.

It's funny how these mega principled Christians only take it out on gays. I mean, I bet they'd make me and my girlfriend (atheists) a cake.
Well unless the baker decided to stone the couple to death, she's not following her faith to the letter anyway. Pretty sure that all most religions have to say on the matter, pretty sure there aren't rules about baking cakes for people in religion.
Original post by Gwilym101
Well unless the baker decided to stone the couple to death, she's not following her faith to the letter anyway. Pretty sure that all most religions have to say on the matter, pretty sure there aren't rules about baking cakes for people in religion.

Well, there might be rules about what you can and can't put in the cake.
There are better ways to handle such a situation.

I do believe that's punishment in Islam ... not Christianity ...
I do believe that's punishment in Islam ... not Christianity ...

Leviticus 20:13 If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
Leviticus 20:13 If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

You said 'stoned' to death lol .... and barely anyone actually follows Levictus.
You said 'stoned' to death lol .... and barely anyone actually follows Levictus.

Granted it doesn't say stoned, but the passages in Leviticus are the reasons gay people have been persecuted for hundred of years. It is a God given decree to kill people for their sexuality.

This woman is citing religious objections based on this passage and Leviticus 18:22. Yet she doesn't follow what her faith actually says regarding gay people. Given she's not following the rules of her faith why bother refusing to serve them in the first place?
Granted it doesn't say stoned, but the passages in Leviticus are the reasons gay people have been persecuted for hundred of years. It is a God given decree to kill people for their sexuality.

This woman is citing religious objections based on this passage and Leviticus 18:22. Yet she doesn't follow what her faith actually says regarding gay people. Given she's not following the rules of her faith why bother refusing to serve them in the first place?

Maybe because she has common-sense? ... Levictus doesn't tell *you* personally to kill gays, but in fact that they will be killed [by someone else].

I'm definitely not Christian, I refuse to follow a book of lies and deception, but I do not care for what others follow either - do what you want.

Gays weren't persecuted over hundreds of years solely because of a stupid passage in a stupid book, they were oppressed because it was believed it was inhumane by most people - minus the Greeks.

I do not oppose gay people, I don't care if they want to get married - they can, good for them - but I do not condone what they do and it definitely should be kept to themselves - like hetero sex is.

Another fact is that homophobia, xenophobia, racism and discrimination will ALWAYS be here in our society. We won't EVER be able to eradicate it. because there will always be one person or a culture that refuses to accept it. I think we all just need to understand that and move on forward, whilst they move back? Don't you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending