The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do 12 year old girls really need to show off their assets at that age? I don't know about you, but I think that miiiiight just attract some paedophilic attention.

:rolleyes:
Reply 2
By that logic why not walk around airports with your vagina out then complain when pilots crash cause they shouldn't find it distracting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
if 12 year old girls are too young to be wearing slightly revealing clothes then they're also too young to be constantly sexualised by their male counterparts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emgraceb2804
I remember recently (before moving schools) being told by a teacher to pull my skirt down as I was a 'distraction' to the boys. Being the feminist that I am, I was outraged.

Seriously? I'm at all an all-girls and they tell us to do this. It's reasonable, get over it. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
If you're wearing a uniform then by all means yes... you should have your skirt at an appropriate length. Teenage boys are more than likely to react to a short skirt which is why your uniform is designed that way to prevent this from happening as it can cause a distraction for yourself and others.
No, I am not saying that girls should go to school naked. I am questioning the way girls are told constantly in schools and also by society as a whole to 'cover up'. Why is this? Should we not be looking at this in a different way and start blaming the boys and teenagers in schools who are the ones making comments and often hurtful remarks, damaging girls' often already broken self confidence?
Original post by Jacknya
If you're wearing a uniform then by all means yes... you should have your skirt at an appropriate length. Teenage boys are more than likely to react to a short skirt which is why your uniform is designed that way to prevent this from happening as it can cause a distraction for yourself and others.

we should be teaching boys not to over-sexualise girls as well, surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Seriously? I'm at all an all-girls and they tell us to do this. It's reasonable, get over it. :rolleyes:

In some respects I do agree with you I think it was more that the teacher in question had ignored remarks said by boys around me and had targeted me to be the one at fault (my skirt wasn't that short btw I'm talking a few inches above my knee it wasn't ridiculous).
No, I am not saying that girls should go to school naked. I am questioning the way girls are told constantly in schools and also by society as a whole to 'cover up'. Why is this? Should we not be looking at this in a different way and start blaming the boys and teenagers in schools who are the ones making comments and often hurtful remarks, damaging girls' often already broken self confidence?

i don't know about holistically blaming boys and teenagers. but i definitely think this is not entirely a girl's issue and should not be treated as such. there's a long way to go yet in teaching children basic respect and courtesy from an early age to prevent things as small as cat-calling or as big as rape and sexual assault in the future (crimes committed by both men and women).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
i don't know about holistically blaming boys and teenagers. but i definitely think this is not entirely a girl's issue and should not be treated as such. there's a long way to go yet in teaching children basic respect and courtesy from an early age to prevent things as small as cat-calling or as big as rape and sexual assault in the future (crimes committed by both men and women).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see where your coming from completely and I agree. And of course it isn't all boys and teenagers who do it I just know from experience that the few who do ruin the reputation of the vast majority who are respectful - resulting in girls who aw uncomfortable and defensive around boys in general which is wrong. And of course it does happen the other way around but it must be said that it is more commonly seen where men are at fault?
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow. Some of the replies. Seriously though, why should we have to hide our ****ing legs just because males are unable to not stare. Isn't that essentially victim blaming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah no one is disputing that boys should be taught to respect girls. And there's nothing wrong with covering up and being classy, but if you choose to wear revealing clothes and look trashy that is your own choice. And people freely can criticize you if they want to as well.
Teaching pubescent boys not to sexualise women....

Good luck; though you'd probably have better fortune just castrating us all at birth, well and truly before the testosterone starts flowing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14

As a Fourth Wave Feminist - can you please make up your mind what you're all about, please?

Are you (as a woman) being told by "society" to "cover up"; or are you being hyper-sexualised by society? Because it plainly can't be both.
Original post by tania<3
Yeah no one is disputing that boys should be taught to respect girls. And there's nothing wrong with covering up and being classy, but if you choose to wear revealing clothes and look trashy that is your own choice. And people freely can criticize you if they want to as well.

I just think that it is essentially a girls choice to wear exactly what makes her feel good about herself. If people make comments that is essentially wrong but it is the girls job to deal with these in whatever way she chooses. What is wrong is when girls are told what to wear and how to dress.
Reply 16
Original post by Obiejess
Wow. Some of the replies. Seriously though, why should we have to hide our ****ing legs just because males are unable to not stare. Isn't that essentially victim blaming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should you even get offended by staring? Legs are attractive, you have them in plain view, I want to see, so I will look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip
As a Fourth Wave Feminist - can you please make up your mind what you're all about, please?

Are you (as a woman) being told by "society" to "cover up"; or are you being hyper-sexualised by society? Because it plainly can't be both.

I'm fourteen, I'm really sorry if I'm not making much sense but I'll give it a go... I think it can. I think teenage boys are sexualising girls and this is being condoned by teachers telling girls to cover up which is essentially victim blaming? I think that makes some kind of sense?
Reply 18
Original post by tanyapotter
we should be teaching boys not to over-sexualise girls as well, surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget that the other gender isn't innocent to over-sexualising boys too... As long as they aren't physically or verbally harassing you then there isn't really a problem. You can't blame either gender, they're both guilty to hormonal instinct. xD
Original post by james1211
Why should you even get offended by staring? Legs are attractive, you have them in plain view, I want to see, so I will look.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not offended by staring at all. Go for it, rather flattering actually. But that appeared to be this teacher's problem so that is why I mentioned it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)