The Student Room Group

Neighbours Being OTT on Noise?

Hi all,

I moved into my current student house at the start of September, I'm currently a second year student at this university.

The problem is that some of the neighbours at the rear of our property keep making noise complaints. The source of these is sometimes a mini speaker that we use in the kitchen (it can get to a high volume but we don't past 11pm). Occasionally people talk when having a cigarette out in the back garden.

We had a neighbour knock on our door at 5.30am this morning to say that once more and she'd try her hardest to get us kicked out(!?) (Because, y'know, we're really that noisy - right? [for those wondering, we're the type of people that watch all the films and TV series under the sun as well as have an extensive knowledge of Pokémon]).

The local community has a massive thing against students now, to the point where some are trying to start proceeds to shut down the uni.

So... Do we write a letter saying that we're sorry for any inconvenience caused - explaining the 11pm noise limit but include the noise complaints number of the local council?

Do we write a letter and just apologise and give them one of our phone numbers for future reference?

Do we go to the university and see what they say? (Currently they're dealing with a massive problem with a road over from us).

Wat do, TSR?

Scroll to see replies

bump
Original post by Roving Fish
bump

I would seek support from your uni SU :smile:

But it's worth trying to bond with your neighbours if you think it's salvageable? "Do we write a letter and just apologise and give them one of our phone numbers for future reference?" I think that sounds like a sensible idea :smile: Try and take the moral high ground.

How many of you live in the house? Are you in a resident's area or do other houses nearby home students?

So... Do we write a letter saying that we're sorry for any inconvenience caused - explaining the 11pm noise limit but include the noise complaints number of the local council?

I wouldn't include the curfew noise limit of 11pm in the letter. I see your point but just because 11pm is the curfew doesn't mean you have to make noise until that point and the residents will probably see it that way to so that will just wind them up.

What do you think? :smile:
Yeah just keep your volume down have some common decency?
As said by She-Ra, just send them a nice letter saying that you're aware of their complaints and you sympathise with them, and that you have a noise curfew in place for them :smile: And remember to make a copy of ALL correspondence you send and receive; this may be useful in the future... for instance if they decide to take it to court for whatever reason.
Original post by sarcasmrules
As said by She-Ra, just send them a nice letter saying that you're aware of their complaints and you sympathise with them, and that you have a noise curfew in place for them :smile: And remember to make a copy of ALL correspondence you send and receive; this may be useful in the future... for instance if they decide to take it to court for whatever reason.

That's a really good point :smile:

I'd log when they come and talk to you too.

I'm not sure what made them come and knock at your door at 5.30am in the morning but if they just did that out of spite then that is not ideal. So yes right down those kinds of occasions too.

We had a neighbour knock on our door at 5.30am this morning to say that once more and she'd try her hardest to get us kicked out(!?) (Because, y'know, we're really that noisy - right? [for those wondering, we're the type of people that watch all the films and TV series under the sun as well as have an extensive knowledge of Pokémon]).

Were you actually making noise at 5.30am, or did they come round to complain about previous noise?

If you were making noise that early (even if it's just standing outside talking loudly), they kind of have a point.
If you weren't making noise and they just came round to hassle you then you are dealing with crazy people - document your interactions with them, just in case.
Original post by She-Ra
That's a really good point :smile:

I'd log when they come and talk to you too.

I'm not sure what made them come and knock at your door at 5.30am in the morning but if they just did that out of spite then that is not ideal. So yes right down those kinds of occasions too.

Yes, definitely! I think OP should make a noise complaint because they were disturbed at 5:30 :tongue:
Hi all,

Sorry for the late responses - was in lectures and meetings all day yesterday so have only just been able to check this. :smile:

Original post by ManifoldManifest
Were you actually making noise at 5.30am, or did they come round to complain about previous noise?

We were all asleep at 5.30am. :frown:

Original post by Bill_Gates
Yeah just keep your volume down have some common decency?

The thing is, we do. We've never had a noise complaint before (two houses merged into one, we both lived about 10 mins walk from this place and next to the same kind of residents) with the same kind of volume.

If we're going on a night out then we'll be in the kitchen, which faces the back, to play drinking games as it's bigger than the front room. We'll have left to go out by about 11pm - the last time we did this we didn't get a noise complaint. If we're not going out then we'll be in the living room - the only time that they complain is the 5 or 10 minutes every now and then that people are talking in the back garden.

It's not like we've got an entire speaker set up in our back garden, blasting music until the early hours of the morning. Occasionally it'll be a small bluetooth speaker on a moderate level with some talking whilst the smokers are smoking.

Anyway... An update on the situation!

We spoke to the university who said: A) Not to worry as we wouldn't get kicked out. B) They've had a lot worse complained about and nothing come of it.

We spoke to our landlord to pre-warn him of any noise complaints, who said: A) People smoke that late at night, they'll just have to deal with it. B) People have parties and as long as the music isn't loud that we're shouting to each other out in the garden then it's fine. C) The residents are in a renowned student area. D) He's not going to lose any sleep about them complaining.

(Post 1 of 2)
Original post by She-Ra
I would seek support from your uni SU :smile:

But it's worth trying to bond with your neighbours if you think it's salvageable? "Do we write a letter and just apologise and give them one of our phone numbers for future reference?" I think that sounds like a sensible idea :smile: Try and take the moral high ground.

How many of you live in the house? Are you in a resident's area or do other houses nearby home students?

I wouldn't include the curfew noise limit of 11pm in the letter. I see your point but just because 11pm is the curfew doesn't mean you have to make noise until that point and the residents will probably see it that way to so that will just wind them up.

What do you think? :smile:

We've talked to our uni who tend to have to deal with the complaints, they said not to worry and it could be worse.

We were going to write the letter and include our phone numbers... Until that neighbour knocked on the door at 5.30am, not sure that I'd want her to have my phone number?

6 of us in the house but we frequently have 2 more over (they used to be housemates with 2 people who lived here and they're mutual friends of all of ours). It's not a loud affair, 9 times out of 10 it'll be watching a TV show or film.

It's a bit of both when it comes to residents area / student homes. As the university has grown, was made a uni in 2005, more houses have been converted into HMOs but the council has now placed a HMO restriction. Around the area it's a lot of residents vs students. This area is quite student orientated though, as I said on our phone call I can see my uni building from my window.

Within the 5.30am wake up conversation, the neighbour was adamant that it was 10.30pm curfew. We wouldn't include that but sigh.

We've recently learnt that one of our neighbours (not the complainants) is a police officer and is having no issue with noise at all.

Meh.
Hi all,

Sorry for the late responses - was in lectures and meetings all day yesterday so have only just been able to check this. :smile:

We were all asleep at 5.30am. :frown:

The thing is, we do. We've never had a noise complaint before (two houses merged into one, we both lived about 10 mins walk from this place and next to the same kind of residents) with the same kind of volume.

If we're going on a night out then we'll be in the kitchen, which faces the back, to play drinking games as it's bigger than the front room. We'll have left to go out by about 11pm - the last time we did this we didn't get a noise complaint. If we're not going out then we'll be in the living room - the only time that they complain is the 5 or 10 minutes every now and then that people are talking in the back garden.

It's not like we've got an entire speaker set up in our back garden, blasting music until the early hours of the morning. Occasionally it'll be a small bluetooth speaker on a moderate level with some talking whilst the smokers are smoking.

Anyway... An update on the situation!

We spoke to the university who said: A) Not to worry as we wouldn't get kicked out. B) They've had a lot worse complained about and nothing come of it.

We spoke to our landlord to pre-warn him of any noise complaints, who said: A) People smoke that late at night, they'll just have to deal with it. B) People have parties and as long as the music isn't loud that we're shouting to each other out in the garden then it's fine. C) The residents are in a renowned student area. D) He's not going to lose any sleep about them complaining.

(Post 1 of 2)

tbh its not like you are aware of how much noise you are actually making when you are intoxicated. You wont be as silent as a mouse playing drinking games, be realistic have some empathy for your neighbours and keep it down.

Better yet, just go out drinking before hand? Plenty of establishments need the business.
tbh its not like you are aware of how much noise you are actually making when you are intoxicated. You wont be as silent as a mouse playing drinking games, be realistic have some empathy for your neighbours and keep it down.

Better yet, just go out drinking before hand? Plenty of establishments need the business.

We don't drink when we watch films, what'd be the point? :wink:

Like I said when it came to when we had drinking games in the kitchen - no complaints so that's not the issue here. :smile:

As much as I'd love to say we have the funds to go out for drinks, we don't as we pay a lot for this house.
We don't drink when we watch films, what'd be the point? :wink:

Like I said when it came to when we had drinking games in the kitchen - no complaints so that's not the issue here. :smile:

As much as I'd love to say we have the funds to go out for drinks, we don't as we pay a lot for this house.

Fair enough but just a group of people together is going to cause enough noise, especially with the poor construction standards in the UK.
Fair enough but just a group of people together is going to cause enough noise, especially with the poor construction standards in the UK.

Even more so when the neighbours all seem to sleep with their windows wide open :confused:
Even more so when the neighbours all seem to sleep with their windows wide open :confused:

Yes of course but surely you are not trying to dictate how they open their windows or not?

You sound quite arrogant tbh.

Put it this way, not everyone is a student

People have work to go to work, kids to look after and people rarely enjoy any peace and quiet these days as it is. So once you get back home you want to open your window and enjoy a quiet book then why should that be ruined by some overly excited students?
Tell them, to **** off, they're already trying to evict you anyway, no reason to be polite anymore.
X

You are right, I am not trying to dictate whether someone should open their windows or not.

I have to go to work at 6am on some days, so go to bed quite early but still don't get woken up. xD

I'm not trying to sound arrogant and I completely understand that not everyone is a student. However, it's not frequent - it's occasional.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Tell them, to **** off, they're already trying to evict you anyway, no reason to be polite anymore.

They seem like the type of person that could make your life hell for the rest of the year... :/
You are right, I am not trying to dictate whether someone should open their windows or not.

I have to go to work at 6am on some days, so go to bed quite early but still don't get woken up. xD

I'm not trying to sound arrogant and I completely understand that not everyone is a student. However, it's not frequent - it's occasional.

Tbh i live on a quiet street and any parties on this street go well noticed so i'm not sure what the local residents are use to. But definitely telling them to **** off won't help.
Update: We contacted our landlord and the university who both said that it wasn't an issue.

We've had a visit from both university PCSOs (Uni employs them), one was to talk to us and the other was for next door but checked on us. They said they could see we weren't the kind of people that the complainants painted us to be.

Today we had a letter from the university saying the following:

The above is part of one neighbour's hate campaign against students, using the slight noise and hyping it up in complaints.

As a result of the letter, two of my housemates went to talk to all of the neighbours. Everyone was fine, apart from one neighbour - the one who keeps making complaints. Everyone else said that they've not been able to hear us or there has been some noise but they've not been kept awake at night by it. The majority of neighbours (i.e. all but one) are fine with us having a Halloween party.

We've responded to the letter from the university. see this in the spoiler tags:

Spoiler

We await the outcome...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest