The Student Room Group

How can I bring up my dad's snoring to him in a way which isn't rude/selfish?

I have already failed with an immature 'please do something about your very loud snoring' note at 2AM for him to read in the morning, but last night it was VERY loud, as in I could hear through the walls with the doors nearly shut. I then checked on Yahoo Answers where the average answer is 'idk about your dad's snoring, my Dad died of cancer when I was 16' which is making me feel guilty for mentioning it at all :frown:
Reply 1
"Yo. Dad. You've got a problem!"
Original post by nicatre
"Yo. Dad. You've got a problem!"

"I got 99 problems and your snoring is one!"
Reply 3
'Your snoring is pissing me off' should do the trick.
Reply 4
come on guys he might have severe sleep apnoea and be at risk of heart failure which his health check a few days ago failed to pick up on :/
Riku you aren't a doctor so don't go working yourself up over something you read on WebMD. Just up and tell your dad it bothers you and why, and not in a note, he is your dad just talk to the man he isn't going to shoot you.
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Riku you aren't a doctor so don't go working yourself up over something you read on WebMD. Just up and tell your dad it bothers you and why, and not in a note, he is your dad just talk to the man he isn't going to shoot you.

I'm more worked up now about the fact that I'm moaning about being unable to sleep due to his loud snoring and it might be because he's got a life-threatening condition. So I feel immature, rude, selfish etc.

He has gone to work and isn't in tonight, so I may need to discuss it tomorrow.
Original post by Riku
I'm more worked up now about the fact that I'm moaning about being unable to sleep due to his loud snoring and it might be because he's got a life-threatening condition. So I feel immature, rude, selfish etc.

He doesn't have a life threatening condition, stop getting worked up about it and just tell him you can't sleep.
Original post by Riku

So you're reluctant to bring up this (as far as you're concerned) potentially "life-threatening condition" for fear of seeming "immature"?

That's pretty immature.
Maybe I'm uninformed, but how is your dad able to stop his snoring? It's not a conscious thing.
Reply 10
Original post by NathanW18
Maybe I'm uninformed, but how is your dad able to stop his snoring? It's not a conscious thing.

he's not, which is why the note was a stupid idea
Reply 11
You checked the internet about snoring. I... dude, people snore. A lot of people snore, I saw a video of a hummingbird snoring.

Yes the 2am note was immature, so is worrying about it possibly being a life threatening condition.

Just straight up go an tell him "Dad, you're snoring very loud and I can't sleep" And then together either get him an anti-snoring pillow or you some earplugs.

Also, stop using the internet to research 'medical' things, 98% of the time you'll convince yourself you have cancer for farting.
Original post by Riku
I have already failed with an immature 'please do something about your very loud snoring' note at 2AM for him to read in the morning, but last night it was VERY loud, as in I could hear through the walls with the doors nearly shut. I then checked on Yahoo Answers where the average answer is 'idk about your dad's snoring, my Dad died of cancer when I was 16' which is making me feel guilty for mentioning it at all :frown:

While he is sleeping creep up next to him and place a pillow on his face. PRESS DOWN HARD!
I feel your pain :sad: My mum snores too and I could spend hours staring at ceiling like an owl :lolwut: Just tell your dad that you can hear him snoring but I doubt that's going to work. My mum still did not admit that she was snoring :teehee: She told me I was making all that up :hmmm: Everyone around me snores, my sister, nephew, sister's friend.. The friend snores like a bulldozer :ahhhhh: At least I don't snore :h:

Just tell him that his snoring is affecting your sleep. Or just put on some headphones and continue sleeping :smile:
How close are you to your dad. If it was me I would just say straight up "dad you are snoring, I can't sleep" even if it wakes him up...

You sound like a troll though, seriously.
Reply 15
Original post by Okorange
How close are you to your dad. If it was me I would just say straight up "dad you are snoring, I can't sleep" even if it wakes him up...

You sound like a troll though, seriously.

why do I sound like a troll I just didn't want to hurt his feelings re: an involuntary bodily response :s-smilie:
Original post by Riku
why do I sound like a troll I just didn't want to hurt his feelings re: an involuntary bodily response :s-smilie:

You sound like a troll because you think he has sleep apnea seriously? He's at risk of heart failure?

Is your dad morbidly obese? Is he incredibly low energy and always tired? If not, he probably doesn't have sleep apnea and unless he has heart problems as a child or he's again obese, eats unhealthy or most importantly has had a heart attack previously, he's unlikely to be in heart failure. Also, you said he had a health check? If he had a health check its likely to pick something up. A blood test and some BP measurements are a relatively decent indicator of any potential upcoming issues.

Tons of people snore, snoring has more to do with how your mouth and pharynx is shaped rather than any major health issues.
Reply 17
Original post by Okorange
You sound like a troll because you think he has sleep apnea seriously? He's at risk of heart failure?

Is your dad morbidly obese? Is he incredibly low energy and always tired? If not, he probably doesn't have sleep apnea and unless he has heart problems as a child or he's again obese, eats unhealthy or most importantly has had a heart attack previously, he's unlikely to be in heart failure. Also, you said he had a health check? If he had a health check its likely to pick something up. A blood test and some BP measurements are a relatively decent indicator of any potential upcoming issues.

Tons of people snore, snoring has more to do with how your mouth and pharynx is shaped rather than any major health issues.

I'm a hypochondriac, sorry. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest