The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Partners scheme question

I am thinking of applying to the partners scheme for accounting for next year and I know I have to go to a summer school but I was wondering if anyone has done the summer school for accounting through the partners scheme before and how hard is it? What did you learn in the summer school and how were you assessed at the end?
Original post by lukey96
I am thinking of applying to the partners scheme for accounting for next year and I know I have to go to a summer school but I was wondering if anyone has done the summer school for accounting through the partners scheme before and how hard is it? What did you learn in the summer school and how were you assessed at the end?

Hey I did the summer school in 2013 for mathematics. :smile:

You can find most information about the partners scheme here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/summer-school/subjects/

I'm not 100% sure which subject strand outline you would have to pick for accounting, I would possibly contact the partners team using the information on this page: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/contact/ to check with them which one you do.

Partners is a great way to get used to the uni, meet friends, and get a feel for the course. I felt a lot more prepared for my course as a result of doing my summer school, and I made a few friends too. :biggrin:

Best of luck for your A Levels & feel free to ask me anymore questions and I'll try to answer them. :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
Hey I did the summer school in 2013 for mathematics. :smile:

You can find most information about the partners scheme here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/summer-school/subjects/

I'm not 100% sure which subject strand outline you would have to pick for accounting, I would possibly contact the partners team using the information on this page: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/contact/ to check with them which one you do.

Partners is a great way to get used to the uni, meet friends, and get a feel for the course. I felt a lot more prepared for my course as a result of doing my summer school, and I made a few friends too. :biggrin:

Best of luck for your A Levels & feel free to ask me anymore questions and I'll try to answer them. :smile:

Thanks, how difficult did you find the summer school, was it a big step up from A levels or not? How much support did you receive from tutors? How much free time did you have and what could you do in your free time?
Original post by lukey96
Thanks, how difficult did you find the summer school, was it a big step up from A levels or not? How much support did you receive from tutors? How much free time did you have and what could you do in your free time?

Well this was for maths, but: we had a test that was just a level standard, and we had a project/assignment that was a bit more than a level. The lecturers replied to my emails pretty quickly to help me when I was stuck, and they had specific hours where you could go for help.

I had a lot of free time (I was only there for 4 days one week, then 3 the next and I finished at 12 a few days). You could go along and explore the university, do things with the people you meet in your summer school (so you might meet friends and they might want to go out for a meal or something, or you could suggest it). At the night times there were events also like a quiz and a night out 'on the town'.
Reply 4
Original post by rayquaza17
Well this was for maths, but: we had a test that was just a level standard, and we had a project/assignment that was a bit more than a level. The lecturers replied to my emails pretty quickly to help me when I was stuck, and they had specific hours where you could go for help.

I had a lot of free time (I was only there for 4 days one week, then 3 the next and I finished at 12 a few days). You could go along and explore the university, do things with the people you meet in your summer school (so you might meet friends and they might want to go out for a meal or something, or you could suggest it). At the night times there were events also like a quiz and a night out 'on the town'.

Did the assignment take much independent studying? Did many people fail the summer school? Do you stay in uni accommodation and if so what was it like?
Original post by lukey96
Did the assignment take much independent studying? Did many people fail the summer school? Do you stay in uni accommodation and if so what was it like?

For maths we are encouraged to work together and share ideas, but you can't copy other people's answers or anything like that!

I don't know if many people failed when I did it, but the year before I did it (so for 2012 entry), no one failed the maths one.

Sorry I didn't stay in accommodation.
Hi, I done partners a few months ago and I got into Newcastle to study Business Management.

To be honest, the summer school was p*ss easy...go to a few lectures, write a few notes etc. Nothing difficult at all tbf. Most other people I knew on the summer school had a pretty similar routine then had a 2000 word essay to hand in...and had 2/3 weeks after summer school to do so.

The only subject that seemed really heavy was Medicine...which you'd expect tbf. I'd thouroughly reccommend doing the scheme though...met a few mates through it and basically went out all of the time :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending