The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Uni Faculty of Life Sciences: could I get in with less than ABB?

Helloo,

I'm currently doing biology, chemistry and physics A2s and have BBC at AS level. Hoping to apply to bsc biotechnology at manchester in 2015.

Predicted ABC and wondering if anyone has gotten onto any life sciences courses with less than the typical offered grades (ABB), as I am doubting whether I will get that :frown:

Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by woffletoffle
Helloo,

I'm currently doing biology, chemistry and physics A2s and have BBC at AS level. Hoping to apply to bsc biotechnology at manchester in 2015.

Predicted ABC and wondering if anyone has gotten onto any life sciences courses with less than the typical offered grades (ABB), as I am doubting whether I will get that :frown:

Thank you!!

If their typical offer is ABB then it's pretty likely they will give you that (if they choose to give you an offer). There will be cases of students on here that have missed their offer of ABB and still been accepted. Whether or not you get accepted is very situational and cannot be predicted in any way, because it depends exactly on how many other people hold conditional offers, and how many of them miss their grades too.

Your situation is really why there's an insurance choice though. If you do choose to apply, get an offer, and firm it, then i'd throw everything you have at getting the grades. I certainly don't believe it's out of your reach, but you may need to approach your tutors about it. They can help you put together revision plans, or target your work towards your weaker areas. Plan for a much more realistic or safer insurance choice that you want to go to.

If you really are convinced that you'll never make that offer then it may be time to reconsider whether or not to apply. I honestly wouldn't pin anything on a hope that you can get through on results day by effectively sheer luck.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
If their typical offer is ABB then it's pretty likely they will give you that (if they choose to give you an offer). There will be cases of students on here that have missed their offer of ABB and still been accepted. Whether or not you get accepted is very situational and cannot be predicted in any way, because it depends exactly on how many other people hold conditional offers, and how many of them miss their grades too.

Your situation is really why there's an insurance choice though. If you do choose to apply, get an offer, and firm it, then i'd throw everything you have at getting the grades. I certainly don't believe it's out of your reach, but you may need to approach your tutors about it. They can help you put together revision plans, or target your work towards your weaker areas. Plan for a much more realistic or safer insurance choice that you want to go to.

If you really are convinced that you'll never make that offer then it may be time to reconsider whether or not to apply. I honestly wouldn't pin anything on a hope that you can get through on results day by effectively sheer luck.

Thanks for the info and you're right about speaking to my tutors - going to do that tomorrow and talk more about resits.

Definitely sticking at least 2 insurance choices down as well.

Thanks!!
Reply 3
Original post by woffletoffle
Thanks for the info and you're right about speaking to my tutors - going to do that tomorrow and talk more about resits.

Definitely sticking at least 2 insurance choices down as well.

Thanks!!

Good luck. Remember, you won't have to firm and insure until much later on, so you can make a judgement on how well the year has been going as to whether it's still realistic.

Would he/she be able to qualify for the foundation year though since they are taking 3 science subjects?
Bournemouth do life sciences courses and ask for at least 260 points! I got in with BDD!
Reply 7
Original post by andystephen
Would he/she be able to qualify for the foundation year though since they are taking 3 science subjects?

Unfortunately they don't - looked into that a while ago and it's only for people who take non-science subjects :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by 2007PSanHa
Bournemouth do life sciences courses and ask for at least 260 points! I got in with BDD!

Do you like the uni and the course so far? :smile:
I'm actually studying biological sciences but it comes under the faculty of life sciences! I'm loving it, everyone's so friendly and the lecturers make jokes etc! There are 58 people on my course so it's a nice size.
I don't think they'd give you an offer unless your personal statement is beyond amazing.. I went to an open day at manchester and they said they had to reject someone who got BBBB at A2 because they didn't meet the entry requirement :/
But then again, you have nothing to lose if you apply there, so it's up to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending