The Student Room Group

Girls (and guys I guess): why don't you use weights?

I almost never see other girls in the gym lifting weights in any capacity. In fact, the majority are on the treadmill for the entire duration of my workout. Doesn't that get so boring? I just wonder why no girls ever get curious about lifting and give it a go? There's such a big online community of women that lift (on Instagram for example) that I'm surprised it hasn't filtered down into real life and inspired more girls to give it a try. I understand it won't be for everyone but realistically.. Everyone's booties are gonna look a bit better if you squat :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Some girls think you can do bodyweight squats or that squat challenge bull**** to get an ass :rolleyes:
Don't want muscles obv. Just wanna get lean:rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by KittyRe-play

that would be much quicker if you lifted tbh. Cardio alone tends to just get you skinny-fat or at best around c. 14% body fat
Original post by h3isenberg
Some girls think you can do bodyweight squats or that squat challenge bull**** to get an ass :rolleyes:

Tell me about it. My housemates last year all decided to do that 30 day squat challenge and asked if I was gonna do it too.. And I was like, Erm.. I already kinda squat 50kg this morning so nah. That was back when I didn't even pay much attention to weightlifting, it just seemed like the logical thing to do over mindless amounts of bodyweight reps.
Original post by Riku
that would be much quicker if you lifted tbh. Cardio alone tends to just get you skinny-fat or at best around c. 14% body fat

Okay.
Reply 6
Okay.

just trying to help, it's a common misconception that either cardio alone can get you lean/'toned', or that weights will make girls 'bulky' :smile:
Scared of getting 'bulky' - just want to 'tone' :wink:

It does kill me a little inside when I hear girls saying that you should lift small weights.
Original post by Riku

That's a bit low for a female tbh but I do agree with the sentiment

This is the biggest misconception. Lifting weights won't give you massive muscles. It may slightly develop the muscles you already have, which, coupled with clean eating gives a really good lean physique. I've been lifting over a year (started doing it more seriously this summer) and I certainly don't look muscly, in fact no one would have a clue to look at me that I lift weights and would probably laugh if I told them.
Original post by Riku

The way some women think they are going to look like Ronnie Coleman after lifting weights is hilarious.
Original post by katehlouise
Scared of getting 'bulky' - just want to 'tone' :wink:

It does kill me a little inside when I hear girls saying that you should lift small weights.

I know, I heard a personal trainer telling a woman that the pink weights will help her develop 'lean, slim muscle' but anything higher and it would become bulky. I literally was about to ask where the hell she got her PT qualification from but I couldn't even be bothered.
Reply 11
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
That's a bit low for a female tbh but I do agree with the sentiment

This is the biggest misconception. Lifting weights won't give you massive muscles. It may slightly develop the muscles you already have, which, coupled with clean eating gives a really good lean physique. I've been lifting over a year (started doing it more seriously this summer) and I certainly don't look muscly, in fact no one would have a clue to look at me that I lift weights and would probably laugh if I told them.

sorry, working off male body fat levels :tongue:

you're looking at c.20-22% bf with cardio alone for a woman I reckon, no lower
Lol women thinking they are going to bulk from spending 3 days a week in the gym.

To gain muscle, big muscle you need to be eating like a beast, lifting heavy enough to poop internal organs and have been working out building solid foundations for years.

Women need to start lifting, getting sick of see saggy asses held up by underwear and shapeless legs, get fit, not thin.
I know, I heard a personal trainer telling a woman that the pink weights will help her develop 'lean, slim muscle' but anything higher and it would become bulky. I literally was about to ask where the hell she got her PT qualification from but I couldn't even be bothered.

It's a shame that so many people are given bad advice when it comes to training.

I've only ever dabbled in weights - never properly been able put time into it - but I joined the gym last week so finally have good access to them now. Looking forward to starting it tonight!

LOL

I would have said something.
Original post by Riku
Cardio alone tends to just get you skinny-fat or at best around c. 14% body fat

wat
They've never interested me. May give them a try at some point though...
Reply 17
Original post by illusionz
wat

how can cardio lower your body fat significantly without any use of weights or resistance :s-smilie:

You rarely see guys with six-packs that don't even lift. They tend to be fit in cardiovascular way but not aesthetic/significantly lean, just skinny
Reply 18
Original post by Riku
how can cardio lower your body fat significantly without any use of weights or resistance :s-smilie:

You rarely see guys with six-packs that don't even lift. They tend to be fit in cardiovascular way but not aesthetic/significantly lean, just skinny

Lots of cardiovascular workouts incorporate resistance, such as rowing and cycling. You're being way too simplistic here to form a valid point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by james1211
Lots of cardiovascular workouts incorporate resistance, such as rowing and cycling. You're being way too simplistic here to form a valid point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought so too, so weights are unnecessary for getting lean. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest