The Student Room Group

Girls (and guys I guess): why don't you use weights?

Scroll to see replies

I would love to, I just need to be reassured that I'm using them properly. And yet I can't approach anyone without looking like a complete idiot.
Reply 21
Original post by Riku
I thought so too, so weights are unnecessary for getting lean. :s-smilie:

Of course weights aren't necessary to get lean. I'm assuming by weights you mean free weights or machines that incorporate weights but no cardio element. I cycled every weekend for 4 years and built big leg muscles from the pedalling that lots of gym nerds would dream about and at the same time burned lots of body fat and dropped about five per cent body fat from the cardio workout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I know, I heard a personal trainer telling a woman that the pink weights will help her develop 'lean, slim muscle' but anything higher and it would become bulky. I literally was about to ask where the hell she got her PT qualification from but I couldn't even be bothered.

there is no excuse for this kind of ignorance if you're a ****ing personal trainer in the year 2014 with the internet etc, this is BASIC fitness stuff and it's your damn job to know about it, this is the equivalent of someone being a biology teacher and not knowing the equation for photosynthesis, that's how bad it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
I almost never see other girls in the gym lifting weights in any capacity. In fact, the majority are on the treadmill for the entire duration of my workout. Doesn't that get so boring? I just wonder why no girls ever get curious about lifting and give it a go? There's such a big online community of women that lift (on Instagram for example) that I'm surprised it hasn't filtered down into real life and inspired more girls to give it a try. I understand it won't be for everyone but realistically.. Everyone's booties are gonna look a bit better if you squat :tongue:

Slowly but surely I think it is increasing in popularity. I started lifting a few months ago and know several girls who lift and my gym always has a decent amount of girls in the weights area. I predict in the next few years girls will stop buying into the lots of cardio bull****. Also I attend Bodypump classes every once in a while and they are nearly all girls, suggesting women do know the benefits of weightlifting, but are perhaps still intimidated by that corner of the gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Riku
how can cardio lower your body fat significantly without any use of weights or resistance :s-smilie:

You rarely see guys with six-packs that don't even lift. They tend to be fit in cardiovascular way but not aesthetic/significantly lean, just skinny

nah, cardio alone can actually get you to sub 8% bf (all that's actually needed is a calorie deficit regardless of exercise type), but you will lose a ton of muscle along with it and be on that auschwitz mode by the end of it so you'll look like **** either way
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Riku
just trying to help, it's a common misconception that either cardio alone can get you lean/'toned', or that weights will make girls 'bulky' :smile:

Yep I agree, sorry if I sounded a bit sarky, I had to go back to school from my break
:h:
I just don't care about it. I cycle, walk, rock climb and once in a blue moon I run.Non of these activities require insane arm strength either. I just stay clear of gyms anyway. Would rather be outside.

Also this skinny fat stuff is rubbish. If you do lots of cycling/running you will loose weight. With cycling, especially your legs and bum :tongue: Whilst I don't have a six pack I do actually have some stomach muscle strength from cycling as well. Climbing up steep gradients requires good overall body strength, including your arms.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
.If you do lots of cycling/running you will loose weight.

Nah you won't m8.
Original post by Shawshank
Nah you won't m8.

I'm sorry but I can't take anyone seriously that talks/types like that.
I dont want biceps or triceps all puffed up.
Because there are far more interesting and fun ways of getting fit/toned/muscle than repeatedly lifting something for ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
too weak to lift anything worth lifting :frown:

Original post by Greg Jackson
that auschwitz mode

:teehee:
Original post by Riku
how can cardio lower your body fat significantly without any use of weights or resistance :s-smilie:

You rarely see guys with six-packs that don't even lift. They tend to be fit in cardiovascular way but not aesthetic/significantly lean, just skinny

Under-developed abs= look like a prepubescent boy in the stomach region even if really lean. Its also pretty much impossible to avoid building reasonable abs if you do enough heavy standing compound lifts (squats, deads, OHP etc even weighted chins hit them hard).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NerdyMeg
I dont want biceps or triceps all puffed up.

Lol ok

Original post by It's_Ailie
Because there are far more interesting and fun ways of getting fit/toned/muscle than repeatedly lifting something for ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure, there's loads! But why not do both? Lifting can improve performance in a lot of sports. It's also great for people like me who have zero co ordination and suck at pretty much every competitive sport! Plus, wouldn't it be hard to carry out most hobbies.. Say cycling for example, to the intensity level to get similar results to lifting?

Yeah sure, there's loads! But why not do both? Lifting can improve performance in a lot of sports. It's also great for people like me who have zero co ordination and suck at pretty much every competitive sport! Plus, wouldn't it be hard to carry out most hobbies.. Say cycling for example, to the intensity level to get similar results to lifting?

Well cycling is more on your legs and cardiovascular system. The problem I have with going to the gym is that I can just stop whenever. If I am 30 miles from home I have no choice but to cycle to get home. That's just me anyway.
Jen selters butt :coma:
Misinformation is the answer to your thread

For the rest of it - no-one built a big set of legs off cycling a lone (anyone who brings Christ Hoy etc up is an idiot) and cardio leads to being skinny or skinny fat

Bradley Wiggins when he won the tdf was sub 3% bf so swinging arbitrary numbers around for how light you can get off cardio alone is daft

Original post by Riku

It's called a skinny pack
Reply 37
too much effort
Lifting at home gym is fine as it's pretty empty but going to uni gym is so intimidating.
There's always the rowing team or rugby dudes travelling in packs and if it's a small gym and none of the weights you want are free you're left standing around. And then you feel really pathetic if they're waiting for you to finish squat rack or whatever and then they go and lift 3 times as much as you. They don't care either way but it's still makes me feel like I don't belong in the weights room.
But with cardio machines if the one you want is taken then it's not too much both to hop on a different one for 10 minutes.
Original post by Dancelikejones
Lifting at home gym is fine as it's pretty empty but going to uni gym is so intimidating.
There's always the rowing team or rugby dudes travelling in packs and if it's a small gym and none of the weights you want are free you're left standing around. And then you feel really pathetic if they're waiting for you to finish squat rack or whatever and then they go and lift 3 times as much as you. They don't care either way but it's still makes me feel like I don't belong in the weights room.
But with cardio machines if the one you want is taken then it's not too much both to hop on a different one for 10 minutes.

As you say, no one cares so you should really try and shake that feeling! :tongue:

Quite often when its busy you have to ask people to work in with them or you just wont get anywhere. You also have to be assertive in occupying a just finished in use piece of equipment/bench (of course share with others if they ask) or yes you'll just be standing around for hours until you get lucky!

Quick Reply

Latest