The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Anyone applying for 2015 @ Lancaster?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Applied to Lancaster, Man met, manchester, uclan and leeds. Got all offers:smile: but putting lancaster as my firm choice. Youl get the offers soon xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Got my offer for computer science and IT for creative industries

First year D* D*
Reply 102
Economics offer for AAB!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Applying for: Biomedical Sciences
Predicted grades: A*AA
What i need: AAB

I got an offer the other day for this course starting in october. I was just wondering will my freshers week start in october since most students' courses start in september?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an conditional offer (AAB) for English and Film :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
I've applied for Earth and Environmental Science with a year abroad, and I've got an unconditional offer. I was also worried about the night life, as Lancaster only has a few clubs, however, I have heard that it is a good night out.
Original post by JaneHJ
I've applied for Earth and Environmental Science with a year abroad, and I've got an unconditional offer. I was also worried about the night life, as Lancaster only has a few clubs, however, I have heard that it is a good night out.

Congrats!
I'm worried about the nightlife too, I hope it's not too bad..
Reply 107
Original post by charley17
Congrats!
I'm worried about the nightlife too, I hope it's not too bad..

Thank you:smile:!
I doubt it will be awful... As long as you go with a fun group of people haha
Original post by imaanicus
Applying for: Biomedical Sciences
Predicted grades: A*AA
What i need: AAB

I got an offer the other day for this course starting in october. I was just wondering will my freshers week start in october since most students' courses start in september?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your freshers week will be at the same time as everyone else, i.e the last week of September (or thereabouts), you will start lectures the week after that in October :smile:
Original post by JodieW
Your freshers week will be at the same time as everyone else, i.e the last week of September (or thereabouts), you will start lectures the week after that in October :smile:

Oh that makes sense thank you! I just found out recently that i got an unconditional for biomed 😀 what course are you applying for?
Oh that makes sense thank you! I just found out recently that i got an unconditional for biomed 😀 what course are you applying for?

Congrats! That's awesome ^__^
I'm already a student at Lancs, I'm a first year. I do accounting and finance. If you have any general questions about Lancaster feel free to ask!
Original post by JodieW
I'm already a student at Lancs, I'm a first year. I do accounting and finance. If you have any general questions about Lancaster feel free to ask!

You must get this all the time but what in your opinion is the best college on the campus? Im conflicted between bowland and furness, both of them are central which i like what college are you in?
You must get this all the time but what in your opinion is the best college on the campus? Im conflicted between bowland and furness, both of them are central which i like what college are you in?

I am in Furness so I would be biased hehe xD I think Bowland and Furness in terms of location on campus are both good since, like you said, they're both pretty central. However given the size of the campus, I wouldn't say any of the colleges are significantly far away from anything (except perhaps Cartmel and Lonsdale). Apart from geographical location and the activities that go on during freshers week (Furness is definitely the best for freshers week, no question), I don't think the college you are in plays much of a big factor.. people only really bother about it because of the whole light-hearted 'college rivalry' thing :smile: Overall though, Bowland and Furness are good choices because of location. Other than that, I don't think any other quality of any of the colleges make them any better than the others :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by JodieW

Waa, if feels like a dream to finally find someone!! I got an offer for the same course as you and I'd be interested in anything you have to say about it :biggrin: any advice, tips, things you did or did not expect there, everything. Please share some information with a new possible student :smile: pleaseee
Original post by iama
Waa, if feels like a dream to finally find someone!! I got an offer for the same course as you and I'd be interested in anything you have to say about it :biggrin: any advice, tips, things you did or did not expect there, everything. Please share some information with a new possible student :smile: pleaseee

I've been here for one term and I can definitely say that time goes so quickly. Each week passes just like that, and even though for me accounting and finance was initially stressful (I've never studied accounting before so I was quite overwhelmed learning from scratch), uni is definitely the most fun you'll ever have :smile: Freshers week felt like the longest week ever since you always have something to do and you're up way into the early hours of the morning - by Friday/Saturday I was absolutely shattered and just wanted to go to sleep xD For me, I'm not much of a drinker/clubber so freshers week was more of an opportunity to meet as many new people as I could rather than get as wasted as possible :biggrin:

Be sure to talk to as many people in your course as possible and don't be scared to make friends because everyone is on the same boat. I am a pretty shy person but I've made a ton of friends from my course. In fact, my housemates for next year are all from my lectures.

Are there any specific questions you have about life at Lancaster?
Reply 115
Original post by JodieW
I've been here for one term and I can definitely say that time goes so quickly. Each week passes just like that, and even though for me accounting and finance was initially stressful (I've never studied accounting before so I was quite overwhelmed learning from scratch), uni is definitely the most fun you'll ever have :smile: Freshers week felt like the longest week ever since you always have something to do and you're up way into the early hours of the morning - by Friday/Saturday I was absolutely shattered and just wanted to go to sleep xD For me, I'm not much of a drinker/clubber so freshers week was more of an opportunity to meet as many new people as I could rather than get as wasted as possible :biggrin:

Be sure to talk to as many people in your course as possible and don't be scared to make friends because everyone is on the same boat. I am a pretty shy person but I've made a ton of friends from my course. In fact, my housemates for next year are all from my lectures.

Are there any specific questions you have about life at Lancaster?

Good information :biggrin: (because I've also never studied accounting before, I don't like to get wasted and I could be classified as shy in some regards too). I see, so freshers week will be fun xD great. Getting friendly with 'classmates', that's perfect, I was afraid it wouldn't be as easy.
Sigh, I'd really like to ask you, but since I don't know much about uni there I have no idea what, haha. This would be enough for now, I think, many of my worries have vanished :smile: Ooh, accomodation confuses me a lot, what's the best college that's close to the couse building(s)? Would you recommend yours?
Original post by iama
Good information :biggrin: (because I've also never studied accounting before, I don't like to get wasted and I could be classified as shy in some regards too). I see, so freshers week will be fun xD great. Getting friendly with 'classmates', that's perfect, I was afraid it wouldn't be as easy.
Sigh, I'd really like to ask you, but since I don't know much about uni there I have no idea what, haha. This would be enough for now, I think, many of my worries have vanished :smile: Ooh, accomodation confuses me a lot, what's the best college that's close to the couse building(s)? Would you recommend yours?

I'm in Furness and that's not really far away from anything which is good. I picked it because it's one of the few colleges that have extremely basic accommodation - I would have picked Grizedale but I think all the rooms there are ensuites and I wanted to live as cheaply as possible. Since you're doing accounting you'll pretty much be in George Fox for almost all your lectures during your first year, the second year onwards you'll also be making more use of the management school building which is just opposite George Fox. The only lectures you'd have outside of George Fox are possibly the ones for your minor subject. The closest college to George Fox is Grizedale, which is literally opposite (you could walk across to George Fox in like a minute), so I think if you don't mind paying more for ensuite accomodation then I would pick Grizedale! I think quite a lot of people apply for Grizedale however, so for your second choices you could consider Pendle which is also really close to the management buildings/lecture theaters but not too far away from anything else, either.
Reply 117
Original post by JodieW
I'm in Furness and that's not really far away from anything which is good. I picked it because it's one of the few colleges that have extremely basic accommodation - I would have picked Grizedale but I think all the rooms there are ensuites and I wanted to live as cheaply as possible. Since you're doing accounting you'll pretty much be in George Fox for almost all your lectures during your first year, the second year onwards you'll also be making more use of the management school building which is just opposite George Fox. The only lectures you'd have outside of George Fox are possibly the ones for your minor subject. The closest college to George Fox is Grizedale, which is literally opposite (you could walk across to George Fox in like a minute), so I think if you don't mind paying more for ensuite accomodation then I would pick Grizedale! I think quite a lot of people apply for Grizedale however, so for your second choices you could consider Pendle which is also really close to the management buildings/lecture theaters but not too far away from anything else, either.

Thank you! :smile: I was thinking on getting an ensuite, but since I don't have the maintanance loan I'll have to talk to my parents and hope they'll agree. (Now I know which one I'll pick if thy're ok with what I want)
Well, other than that, how do you like Lancaster as a city? How are the people, the weather, the shopping, etc, like? (The weather is not that important since I can find it myself, but maybe you have a specific opinion :smile: )
Original post by iama
Thank you! :smile: I was thinking on getting an ensuite, but since I don't have the maintanance loan I'll have to talk to my parents and hope they'll agree. (Now I know which one I'll pick if thy're ok with what I want)
Well, other than that, how do you like Lancaster as a city? How are the people, the weather, the shopping, etc, like? (The weather is not that important since I can find it myself, but maybe you have a specific opinion :smile: )

I'm from Manchester so I'm used to huge cities and a really busy life, Lancaster is definitely a lot quieter than what I'm used to but that's not necessarily a bad thing! The town centre is pretty small, I'm not gonna lie, the only good shops are a small Topshop, River Island and a medium sized New Look. For clothes shopping you'd probably want to do it online or even go to Manchester (a one hour train journey, only about £11 for an open day return with a rail card). At least for food shopping there is quite a lot of choice: a large Sainsburys, a Tesco metro, M&S, Iceland, Morrisons, and there's the farmers market that's there on Wednesdays and Saturdays where you'll get a lot of cheap food.

The people I've found are pretty polite in general, since it's not a huge city you won't usually get large crowds of rowdy chavs (which I'm used to seeing in Manchester lol). The weather is pretty much like how it is in the rest of England: wet and windy. I think the first few weeks of term were okay though, it was quite bright and sunny, however for the past two weeks or so it was hailing and raining like mad -.-
Reply 119
Original post by JodieW
I'm from Manchester so I'm used to huge cities and a really busy life, Lancaster is definitely a lot quieter than what I'm used to but that's not necessarily a bad thing! The town centre is pretty small, I'm not gonna lie, the only good shops are a small Topshop, River Island and a medium sized New Look. For clothes shopping you'd probably want to do it online or even go to Manchester (a one hour train journey, only about £11 for an open day return with a rail card). At least for food shopping there is quite a lot of choice: a large Sainsburys, a Tesco metro, M&S, Iceland, Morrisons, and there's the farmers market that's there on Wednesdays and Saturdays where you'll get a lot of cheap food.

The people I've found are pretty polite in general, since it's not a huge city you won't usually get large crowds of rowdy chavs (which I'm used to seeing in Manchester lol). The weather is pretty much like how it is in the rest of England: wet and windy. I think the first few weeks of term were okay though, it was quite bright and sunny, however for the past two weeks or so it was hailing and raining like mad -.-

Thank you soo much! x3 haha, at least there's food, yeah.
I'm from a small town and not from England so it being small might be ok. All heil Manchaster being close!! I have to go and at least visit there (and bring my wallet just in case). Hmm, guess weather it's one of those things you gotta get used to :-?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending