The Student Room Group

Best books for studying/exams?

I'm currently preparing for my national 5 exams in May and prelims in January. Also the unit assessments throughout the year. I was wondering what are the best books for my exams and for studying.

I am doing all National 5s in Business Management, Geography, History, Maths and Chemistry.

also if you have used certain books what grade did you get?
(edited 9 years ago)
How to pass is useful for maths.
havevyou checked the reviews on amazon
Reply 2
I have always found the Bright Red revision books to be useful
For National 5 History I used the How to Pass book and a textbook on one topic and I just kept on practing the different types of questions over and over again and I ended up getting an A. The How to Pass book is good for some practice questions but there isn't really that many and you could probably just ask your teacher for some too.
Reply 4
Original post by Larissa14
How to pass is useful for maths.
havevyou checked the reviews on amazon

Does anyone know if the MODEL practice papers in the "SQA Specimen Paper, 2014 Past Paper National 5 Mathematics & Hodder Gibson Model Papers" book are the same as those in the 2013 version f the book? also how many practice papers are in each book?
thanks soo much
Don't know about Nat 5, but I found how to pass books useless, the same with Success Guide books. Although specimen papers are brilliant, any book that will give you worked through harder examples is a safe bet too (but that's maths).

For social science I think books that are pretty much are course notes are handy as they could possibly present a different perspective than your teachers.
The national 5 how to pass books are definitely the best - for most subjects.

For history, I got an A. It was my favourite subject and I studied like mad for it.

The night before the exam I made "summery notes" for every section of each of the three units. That worked fantastically!! I'd do that if I was you!

At my school, for history we studied, history and nazi German, changing Britain, and migration and empire! Changing Britain wasn't enjoyable but the other two were!

Good luck and try and enjoy the subject, also make sure you master your skills questions, like memorise the 3/4 formats now, and practice them, it makes life a lot easier!!
Reply 7
The Bright Red book is great for Geography, but the chemistry one has a LOT of writing and the diagrams are very different to the simplified versions I have been taught.
I borrowed different textbooks from our school library and discovered which ones were best for me that way - each person has a different view; I don't like the bitesize textbooks, yet my friend uses them for everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending