The Student Room Group

Confused about Entry Requirements for Computer Science

I am currently doing a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Animation. I am worried this may not be an acceptable entry to university for computer science(I do have the required GSCEs including a B in mathematics). I have contacted countless universities via phone and email and the replies are always different.

Queen Mary's won't accept this for computer science, but may accept if for computer science and multimedia. City Uni London won't accept it for computer science whilst Kent University will accept it if I also have the GSCEs even though Kent is ranked above City for computer science. I have inquired to a few more London area universities but currently no replies.

The reason I choose to do computer science is because I enjoy programming and computing (In which I spend most of my time doing), I also know how to code in JavaScript and I'm starting to learn C.

Some help or advice would be great, thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
The majority of universities will only accept the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT, since BTEC animation hasn't really got anything to do with it. You could do a foundation year, this will help you to apply to higher rank universities and give you a thorough grounding in Computer Science.
Original post by cnova
The majority of universities will only accept the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT, since BTEC animation hasn't really got anything to do with it. You could do a foundation year, this will help you to apply to higher rank universities and give you a thorough grounding in Computer Science.

Yeah I noticed most of them only accept it in IT but I'm also wondering if that includes software development as I may switch to that. I will take a look at a foundation year.
Cheers!
Can't you achieve a better GCSE maths result? Make your personal statement stand out and tell the uni that you know Java etc.. I honestly think you at least Need BTEC in IT ? But not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by PlainWhiteTee
Yeah I noticed most of them only accept it in IT but I'm also wondering if that includes software development as I may switch to that. I will take a look at a foundation year.
Cheers!

BTEC in Software Development? it's the same as BTEC Ended Diploma in IT. It's just a particular pathway of the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending