The Student Room Group

Vet med Q+A

Hi! I am a first year vet student at RVC and I have set this thread up to answer the questions of future vet applicants!
I can't promise to know every single detail but I will do my best...
Fire away!
Original post by trasitszy
Hi! I am a first year vet student at RVC and I have set this thread up to answer the questions of future vet applicants!
Fire away!

Hi! I've just found your thread :smile: I've applied to study vet med next year, and the thing that worries me most is the work load. I know you have to do a LOT more work than for A levels, but I was wondering how much? I mean, around how many hours do you find you have to do outside lectures on a normal day? Do you feel you have enough time to do other things?
Oh and one more thing; are you enjoying it? :smile:
And congratulations on getting into such a competitive course!!
Original post by forgetmenot13
Hi! I've just found your thread :smile: I've applied to study vet med next year, and the thing that worries me most is the work load. I know you have to do a LOT more work than for A levels, but I was wondering how much? I mean, around how many hours do you find you have to do outside lectures on a normal day? Do you feel you have enough time to do other things?

4th Year Liverpool vet student here!

The work load is high, of course it is, but they generally ease you in gradually. No different to a step up from GCSE to A levels - you get used to it. However, there is no room for complacency so you have to put the work in and keep on top of things since no one will chase you up for not doing any work or failing to turn up! If you have personal reasons why you cannot attend or are struggling then the onus is on YOU to tell someone.

I personally had plenty of free time in years 1-3 (in 1st year I joined 3 societies, but dropped down to 2 societies and still had almost every weekend off so long as I worked in the evenings during the week. By 3rd year I only really had time to commit to one society but still had time to catch up with friends / go out every so often). It depends how you learn though - I was happy to just read through notes, draw some diagrams/pictures and highlight stuff so it didn't take me as long as some of my other friends who didn't print notes but hand wrote everything.

4th year is more difficult - I am lucky to have one day/evening without any work and am still a bit behind! I hear that on rotations you can work variable and possibly long hours including night shift - an older student told me she started at 8am and finished at 7pm!

I love vet school but am getting bored of lectures at the minute but we finish lectures in February so I can't wait for them to be over and to start rotations :smile:
Original post by SilverstarDJ
4th Year Liverpool vet student here!

The work load is high, of course it is, but they generally ease you in gradually. No different to a step up from GCSE to A levels - you get used to it. However, there is no room for complacency so you have to put the work in and keep on top of things since no one will chase you up for not doing any work or failing to turn up! If you have personal reasons why you cannot attend or are struggling then the onus is on YOU to tell someone.

I personally had plenty of free time in years 1-3 (in 1st year I joined 3 societies, but dropped down to 2 societies and still had almost every weekend off so long as I worked in the evenings during the week. By 3rd year I only really had time to commit to one society but still had time to catch up with friends / go out every so often). It depends how you learn though - I was happy to just read through notes, draw some diagrams/pictures and highlight stuff so it didn't take me as long as some of my other friends who didn't print notes but hand wrote everything.

4th year is more difficult - I am lucky to have one day/evening without any work and am still a bit behind! I hear that on rotations you can work variable and possibly long hours including night shift - an older student told me she started at 8am and finished at 7pm!

I love vet school but am getting bored of lectures at the minute but we finish lectures in February so I can't wait for them to be over and to start rotations :smile:

Thank you! That's actually quite reassuring :smile: The gradual increase in work load over the years sounds like it gives you a chance to get used to it, and is definitely better than a huge jump. Hopefully the fact that it'll be interesting stuff will make it easier to put the work in :smile: I'd also like to maybe try something new, so the fact you had time for societies is great. Wow, those rotations hours sound long! Luckily I have a part time job, so I'm used to standing up for hours (though not quite that long) which I hope will stop it being too much of a shock to the system :smile:
Thank you again, that was really helpful. Good luck with your last two years of study!!
Reply 4

Hi sorry for late reply
I am finding the work load quite high but manageable. I have about 2 lectures per day, then maybe 1 group work session or practical session, Then I usually aim to do 1-2 hours per day of work outside that, though I do sometimes get distracted by netflix or similar! And yes I have time to do other things- e..g I do cinema trips with friends, meals out, visit family nearby, and all the usual social stuff.
Very good luck! What unis have you applied for?
Hi sorry for late reply
I am finding the work load quite high but manageable. I have about 2 lectures per day, then maybe 1 group work session or practical session, Then I usually aim to do 1-2 hours per day of work outside that, though I do sometimes get distracted by netflix or similar! And yes I have time to do other things- e..g I do cinema trips with friends, meals out, visit family nearby, and all the usual social stuff.
Very good luck! What unis have you applied for?

Hi, thank you! It is definitely comforting to hear the work load isn't too high, and that you do have time to live too! :smile: A few hours independent work a day does sound quite fair. I applied to Bristol, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have an offer from Bristol (yay!) an interview at Glasgow and have withdrawn my application from the other two, though I did get an interview invitation for Nottingham.
I hope you enjoy your time at uni :smile:
Hi, thank you! It is definitely comforting to hear the work load isn't too high, and that you do have time to live too! :smile: A few hours independent work a day does sound quite fair.

Two lectures and one practical a day sounds a little too good to be true...

In all honesty don't expect to work less than 9-5 most days of the week and then to have commuting and self study on top of that:wink: Sure there was the odd day where a practical might finish early or we had a lecture cancelled but it was rare. A practical might not sound much but you could be in the lab or DR for 3-5 hours at a time.

The complexity of what you are learning is not the issue (and I would agree it is not much above A-level) rather the volume. I filled 4 lever arch files with notes over the course of 2 years doing A-levels, I did the same in the first 1-2 terms of vet school (ie; 10-20 weeks).

Original post by SilverstarDJ
I hear that on rotations you can work variable and possibly long hours including night shift - an older student told me she started at 8am and finished at 7pm!

It depends a lot on how busy the hospital is, how many patients you have in and the size of your group. I would say that an 11 hour day is actually not too bad (expect to work similar hours in practice).

Normally patient checks have to be done before rounds and before your 8am official start time. So for example, if I had a lot of checks I would be in the hospital for 7am and if it was a busy day I could have been working up until 10pm (and then you could be on call that night!).

I can also remember one extreme example where I worked for 36 hours straight in the equine hospital because there was a timetable clash and there just weren't the students free to relieve us.

Then again I know of people who did 3 weeks in the equine hospital and never got called out - good and bad depending on how you look at it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Fire away!

Hello, I realise that you posted this quite a while ago but I was just wondering about transport while you are at vet school. When you are doing EMS for example do you find that you need a car to get to most places or can you rely on public transport/getting lifts with friends etc.?
Reply 8
Original post by Claireey97
Hello, I realise that you posted this quite a while ago but I was just wondering about transport while you are at vet school. When you are doing EMS for example do you find that you need a car to get to most places or can you rely on public transport/getting lifts with friends etc.?

I am doing AHEMS at the moment, I made sure to do my driving test as soon as I could! Basically I try and do most of my placements within easy driving distance from home (easy enough for me as I live in somerset with loads of farms etc, but not for others I realise!) and my mum has a car that I am insured on and borrow, so I am pretty lucky,

Others take a train/bus to their placements, quite a lot of farmers are happy to provide accommodation so you only have to worry about transport once.

I am planning to get a car in my 4th year I think, before I start clinical rotations.

Hope that answers your question! Basically yeah it is a bit of a struggle for some, and it does depend on where you live.
Original post by Claireey97

You must have done placements before applying - how difficult have you found it getting there? if you can't drive then you will be limiting your options of where to do EMS (some places book up 2 years in advanced and some large animal vets may expect you in the morning their house rather than their office!) and the reality is that public transport can be variable and doesn't always get you everywhere but will depend on your location. Most vet students either have their own car or are able to borrow their parent's car.
Reply 10
Fire away!

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me!

I have a deferred place to study vet med at rvc to start in September.
I am 21 and have been out of education for several years partly due to illness.

I am worried about the workload and transition to vet school. I am also worried about living in London and finances.

Do you have any advice you can give me about how to prepare for the course/living in London/general rvc stuff?

Many thanks,

Megan
Reply 11
Original post by m.ben
Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me!

I have a deferred place to study vet med at rvc to start in September.
I am 21 and have been out of education for several years partly due to illness.

I am worried about the workload and transition to vet school. I am also worried about living in London and finances.

Do you have any advice you can give me about how to prepare for the course/living in London/general rvc stuff?

Many thanks,

Megan

Hi! Big congratulations on your place! I am loving RVC and London at the moment :smile:
For the workload/transition part I would suggest going over old work (e.g. if you did A levels making sure you can remember a fair bit of it, especially biology) and try and get yourself into a fairly disciplined mindset where so you can keep up. BUT don't stress out too much, they have students from loads of different countries who have gone through different education system- so the first term or two seem to be easing in fairly gently, and making sure everyone has the same basic background knowledge.

There are loads of people I know at RVC in the first year who are your age- lots of Americans who did a pre vet course, and a few Brits too so I don't think you will feel too left out :smile:
To be honest I am not too sure about finances if you are over 19 at the start of the course- but if (as I did) you get a student loan, then it should be manageable especially if your parents help you a bit. If not, then there are various bursaries on offer, and you can generally get help if you need it, at least in my experience from talking to other students. I am not going to lie accommodation in London is very expensive, but it is only for 2 years and out in potters bar it is lovely and cheap by comparison. Other than accommodation, I am not finding cost of living much more than usual, though I rarely go out to clubs and I think that nights out are pricier in London. I am very much a country person and was very unsure about London but I have grown to love it and will be quite sad to move out next year!
I hope that answers your questions and reassures you a bit! Feel free to reply or pm if you want.
Reply 12
Hi! Big congratulations on your place! I am loving RVC and London at the moment :smile:
For the workload/transition part I would suggest going over old work (e.g. if you did A levels making sure you can remember a fair bit of it, especially biology) and try and get yourself into a fairly disciplined mindset where so you can keep up. BUT don't stress out too much, they have students from loads of different countries who have gone through different education system- so the first term or two seem to be easing in fairly gently, and making sure everyone has the same basic background knowledge.

There are loads of people I know at RVC in the first year who are your age- lots of Americans who did a pre vet course, and a few Brits too so I don't think you will feel too left out :smile:
To be honest I am not too sure about finances if you are over 19 at the start of the course- but if (as I did) you get a student loan, then it should be manageable especially if your parents help you a bit. If not, then there are various bursaries on offer, and you can generally get help if you need it, at least in my experience from talking to other students. I am not going to lie accommodation in London is very expensive, but it is only for 2 years and out in potters bar it is lovely and cheap by comparison. Other than accommodation, I am not finding cost of living much more than usual, though I rarely go out to clubs and I think that nights out are pricier in London. I am very much a country person and was very unsure about London but I have grown to love it and will be quite sad to move out next year!
I hope that answers your questions and reassures you a bit! Feel free to reply or pm if you want.

Thank you so much for your reply. How have you found the free time? Have you been able to join many societies? What is the atmosphere like at RVC? I am worried it will be very competitive and stressful.

Thank you for reassuring me about London... I am very unsure as a country girl too! But good to know it is manageable and enjoyable.

Reply 13
Original post by m.ben
Thank you so much for your reply. How have you found the free time? Have you been able to join many societies? What is the atmosphere like at RVC? I am worried it will be very competitive and stressful.

Thank you for reassuring me about London... I am very unsure as a country girl too! But good to know it is manageable and enjoyable.

No problem :wink: I have more free time than I thought actually- I do have time to relax. I am in all the nerdy societies (trust me lol) which are actually kind of academic and have talks in the evenings (small animal, emergency and critical care, zoological etc.) as I am not the most sporty person but the talks are really good, and you get wednesday pm off each week too so if you are in a sports society you can play matches/practice/booze to your heart's content!
I find the atmosphere pretty easy going actually- the main competition is getting in to be honest, but the vast majority of people are pretty friendly and down to earth. The one thing I would say is that there is a lot of drinking associated with the sports societies which sadly kind of put me off, because I can't drink due to a health condition.
Also in my free time I hang out with friends and do things like going ice skating in winter, or go to see a west end show which is pretty cool (there are some cheap student tickets avaliable!)

Haha yeah I almost dismissed RVC out of hand without even going to the open day because I was like "nope I definitely don't want to live in London" but my good old mum made me go, which I am very greatful for :smile:
Reply 14
No problem :wink: I have more free time than I thought actually- I do have time to relax. I am in all the nerdy societies (trust me lol) which are actually kind of academic and have talks in the evenings (small animal, emergency and critical care, zoological etc.) as I am not the most sporty person but the talks are really good, and you get wednesday pm off each week too so if you are in a sports society you can play matches/practice/booze to your heart's content!
I find the atmosphere pretty easy going actually- the main competition is getting in to be honest, but the vast majority of people are pretty friendly and down to earth. The one thing I would say is that there is a lot of drinking associated with the sports societies which sadly kind of put me off, because I can't drink due to a health condition.
Also in my free time I hang out with friends and do things like going ice skating in winter, or go to see a west end show which is pretty cool (there are some cheap student tickets avaliable!)

Haha yeah I almost dismissed RVC out of hand without even going to the open day because I was like "nope I definitely don't want to live in London" but my good old mum made me go, which I am very greatful for :smile:

Thank you again so much :smile: Any tips on accomodation? Do you find you have much holiday time or is it all taken up with EMS? Are there any oppurtunities to get a job while studying?
Reply 15
Original post by m.ben
Thank you again so much :smile: Any tips on accomodation? Do you find you have much holiday time or is it all taken up with EMS? Are there any oppurtunities to get a job while studying?

Erm well most people go into Mary Brancker halls in their first year, with a few in college grove and a few elsewhere. I am in college grove and it is awesome how close it is to lectures (seriously getting up at 8:40 for a 9 am lecture!) BUT you have to be lucky to get in if you aren't international, and also most of my friends are in Mary B so it isn't so easy to visit them. Also Mary B is a bit more modern and nicely furnished. I am currently looking for a flat/house for next year with friends which is pretty tricky but we are getting there!

Holiday wise- in first year at least we get 5 weeks off for easter and most people (including me) are doing 3-4 weeks of placements, and about 12 weeks off for summer and I am planning to do 5 weeks of placements, so that I will have to do less next year and have more holiday. So you get a decent bit, but realistically not as much as a typical first year uni student :frown: But on the upside it is practical work with animals and usually pretty good fun.

Job wise- RVC offer quite a few opportunities e..g. student ambassador, running the bar or su shop, walking the dogs they have on site etc.These are great because they are quite flexible and RVC want you to prioritise studies over everything else. But people do get part time jobs elsewhere and seem to manage fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Erm well most people go into Mary Brancker halls in their first year, with a few in college grove and a few elsewhere. I am in college grove and it is awesome how close it is to lectures (seriously getting up at 8:40 for a 9 am lecture!) BUT you have to be lucky to get in if you aren't international, and also most of my friends are in Mary B so it isn't so easy to visit them. Also Mary B is a bit more modern and nicely furnished. I am currently looking for a flat/house for next year with friends which is pretty tricky but we are getting there!

Holiday wise- in first year at least we get 5 weeks off for easter and most people (including me) are doing 3-4 weeks of placements, and about 12 weeks off for summer and I am planning to do 5 weeks of placements, so that I will have to do less next year and have more holiday. So you get a decent bit, but realistically not as much as a typical first year uni student :frown: But on the upside it is practical work with animals and usually pretty good fun.

Job wise- RVC offer quite a few opportunities e..g. student ambassador, running the bar or su shop, walking the dogs they have on site etc.These are great because they are quite flexible and RVC want you to prioritise studies over everything else. But people do get part time jobs elsewhere and seem to manage fine.

Thank you again!! Very helpful :smile: Are there many british people in college grove? I've had it recommended to me by one of the student support staff but not sure whether there would be less oppurtunities to make friends and socialise. Have you found that a problem? It is cheaper though and closer as you say!

Also one more question... sorry! Did you go to an offer holders day and if so was it helpful? I haven't received any information about it but have heard about it from others and was wondering whether it's worth asking to attend? Might help even more with my worries?
Fire away!

Hi thanks for the help! Do you have any tips on accommodation? I' currently thinking of the UoL accommodations because I would like get to know people outside of RVC. However I'm worried that it would be hard for me to get to know the RVC people and miss out on social stuff.. :frown: Also I've generally had the feedback that Mary B is better than College grove but college grove is a lot closer. How far away is Mary B away from the actual lecture halls?
Original post by chololatee
Hi thanks for the help! Do you have any tips on accommodation? I' currently thinking of the UoL accommodations because I would like get to know people outside of RVC. However I'm worried that it would be hard for me to get to know the RVC people and miss out on social stuff.. :frown: Also I've generally had the feedback that Mary B is better than College grove but college grove is a lot closer. How far away is Mary B away from the actual lecture halls?

I believe it's about a twenty minute walk - aka. a short cycle ride or a slighty dodgy 25-minute bus. My parents wanted me to go into UoL Halls, but I've persuaded them into Mary B - it's so nice and new. In terms of meeting people outside of the RVC, you can easily become a member of the UoL union, which has societies common to all the institutions - these socs tend to meet on different nights to the RVC socs so you can join more than one quite comfortably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending