The Student Room Group

obsession with bowel movements

i appreciate this thread sounds like a bit of a joke, but ive become increasingly aware of my obsession with my bowel movements recently, moreover the obsession with feeling 'empty.' ive been fighting a battle with my eating habits for about 3 years now, having lost a lot of weight, and im always yo-yoing between keeping it off and putting some back on.

it's got to the point where i will not go out to a party/club etc or even any remote social event unless i have had a proper bowel movement right before i go and i feel genuinely empty. i do eat, sometimes more than i should, and sometimes i eat just to 'push out' whats already inside me. i think its to do with always wanting to look at my thinnest.

im not looking for advice or anything, i know i should probably go and talk to someone about this as its starting to control me a bit, but i just wondered whether there was anyone else out there with a similar thing? starting university in two weeks and im really beginning to get a bit worried about it. cheers.
Reply 1
Ummmm, yeah, I would seriously think about talking to someone about that, because that's definitely one of the weirder OCD things I've heard.
I don't blame you for being worried. Besides, having a **** doesn't make you look any thinner. :confused:

I'd see a doctor, to be honest.
Hi, wow. Haha, I actually googles "obsession about bowel movements" and this page came up. I have the same kind of feeling. I also don't want to go anywhere unless I feel "empty". I know what you mean, because you feel more bloated and "full" like your lower abdominal area is poking out and you can breathe easy. I also eat to "push out" what ever is in me. I'm not quite sure about it either, however it is partly somatic. I have realized for me anyway that to be "regular" I have times when I go and I essentially have to relax, or else I can't go, which makes me even more nervous which makes it even worse. Too, if you have an anxiety it may stop you from properly going, 'cause sometimes you're just to tense. It helps to try and think it out, i.e. I'm nervous and I am worried I might not be able to go. I'm afraid I might nott be able to go because etc etc. either that or try to just relax and not think about it, but if you cna't stop from obsessing thinking it out helps alot. It was sorely controlling my point at one life which may seem extreme, but I also knew that stressing over it was making it worse. You may just need to get to the root of the problem. See someone about it or try and rationalize it through your own mind. I wouldn't mind seeing someone, but at the moment I want to see if I'm strong enough to beat it my self
best of luck to you
<3 Kianni
Glad i found this post on The Student Room and not just on 'advice for the elderly' or 'mentally ill' forums. I've had an obsession with my bowel movements for yearssssss now and im only 20, can't really remember when it started! I remember going to the doctors all the freaking time when i was like 16 telling them i haddnt been to the loo for a year (it felt like that looool) then i was perscribed this stuff and with ages of perseverance, trail and error i found a method which made me go every single morning.. and subsequently got addicted to using the laxatives every night and drinking excess amounts of caffeine in the morning! I did this for about a year, i did lose weight but that wasnt why i did it. I just became so addicted to the empty feeling that it controlled my life. If i had been to the loo in the morning, i'd be in a good mood that day.. granted! And i would actually eat proper meals but if one or two days i didnt go, i'd be like totally depressed and refuse to eat! Over time i've managed to bring myself under control and realise i CAN go on my own and that i WILL go without using laxatives, but the problem is definately still there.. if i dont go for a couple of days, firstly i panic that i'll never go! Panicing definately doesn't help but i just get it in my head that i'm gonna explode or something and also i feel so disgusting that i pull out of social events (such as going out clubbing or for a meal) because i simply feel huge and minging and i wont be in the mood to speak to anyone or arrange anything untill ive cleared my system (which usually involves using stimulant laxatives and caffeine). I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder becasue i'm a healthy weight.. i'm just totally obsessed if i don't go to the toilet every day (or almost every day) which triggers a panic and acute need to use laxatives. I have met a couple of other people in my life who i can relate to in similar ways to this but i can't help thinking what i've got is like totally un heard of, would be good if anyone has had anything similar to this at a young age!
Glad i found this post on The Student Room and not just on 'advice for the elderly' or 'mentally ill' forums. I've had an obsession with my bowel movements for yearssssss now and im only 20, can't really remember when it started! I remember going to the doctors all the freaking time when i was like 16 telling them i haddnt been to the loo for a year (it felt like that looool) then i was perscribed this stuff and with ages of perseverance, trail and error i found a method which made me go every single morning.. and subsequently got addicted to using the laxatives every night and drinking excess amounts of caffeine in the morning! I did this for about a year, i did lose weight but that wasnt why i did it. I just became so addicted to the empty feeling that it controlled my life. If i had been to the loo in the morning, i'd be in a good mood that day.. granted! And i would actually eat proper meals but if one or two days i didnt go, i'd be like totally depressed and refuse to eat! Over time i've managed to bring myself under control and realise i CAN go on my own and that i WILL go without using laxatives, but the problem is definately still there.. if i dont go for a couple of days, firstly i panic that i'll never go! Panicing definately doesn't help but i just get it in my head that i'm gonna explode or something and also i feel so disgusting that i pull out of social events (such as going out clubbing or for a meal) because i simply feel huge and minging and i wont be in the mood to speak to anyone or arrange anything untill ive cleared my system (which usually involves using stimulant laxatives and caffeine). I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder becasue i'm a healthy weight.. i'm just totally obsessed if i don't go to the toilet every day (or almost every day) which triggers a panic and acute need to use laxatives. I have met a couple of other people in my life who i can relate to in similar ways to this but i can't help thinking what i've got is like totally un heard of, would be good if anyone has had anything similar to this at a young age!
I have the same anxiety. Especially after I have diarrhea because then I think I'm constipated and then want to take Miralax. Also my brain and mind tell me I will never poop again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending