The Student Room Group

Learner Legal Motorbikes (125cc)

What is the best and cheapest 125 available atm?

CT: How our members found super cheap motorbike insurance quotes
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In terms of build, stability, reliability, mileage, longevity etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Search Autotrader for used Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki 125 bikes. Take your pick from whichever ones take your fancy. :yep:
Reply 3
If it's the best it wont be the cheapest.
If it's the cheapest it won't be the best.
Yamaha YBR or a Honda CBR.
Reply 5
Original post by JC.
If it's the best it wont be the cheapest.
If it's the cheapest it won't be the best.

Yeah true
Main thing is reliability and handling

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
Yamaha YBR or a Honda CBR.

For what reasons?
I've heard about the cbr125

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Dez
Search Autotrader for used Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki 125 bikes. Take your pick from whichever ones take your fancy. :yep:

Which one would you reccomend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darab_1496
For what reasons?
I've heard about the cbr125

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both reliable, both as nimble a motorbike as you'll get really. Piss easy to ride too.
Reply 9
Yeah true
Main thing is reliability and handling

Posted from TSR Mobile

... so you don't want a cheapo then!

I had a Honda Varadero XL125, a Honda Shaddow VT125 and a Yamaha virago 125 at the same time last year.
All good bikes, the virago was the slowest being a single cylinder.

Varadero was my favourite to ride, shadow was the nicest to look at.

Varadero cost me £1500 with 10k miles on the clock
Virago cost me £900 with 6300 miles on the clock
Shaddow cost me £1750 with 3600 miles on the clock

Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha YBR. Or a Honda CBR, or a Suzuki GS125. Really, it all comes down to more secondary factors, since it's kinda hard to find a Japanese-made 125 that isn't reliable and easy to handle. Mainly that means price (and insurance group), practicality/design, and personal preference.

Personally, I went for a YBR since I wanted a bike I could fit a top box onto, and one that was reasonably priced. Although looks-wise, I'd definitely favour a Suzuki Marauder, or maybe the Virago JC posted. :teeth:
Reply 11
Original post by Dez
Well, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha YBR. Or a Honda CBR, or a Suzuki GS125. Really, it all comes down to more secondary factors, since it's kinda hard to find a Japanese-made 125 that isn't reliable and easy to handle. Mainly that means price (and insurance group), practicality/design, and personal preference.

Personally, I went for a YBR since I wanted a bike I could fit a top box onto, and one that was reasonably priced. Although looks-wise, I'd definitely favour a Suzuki Marauder, or maybe the Virago JC posted. :teeth:

Yeah, the virago was a beautiful bike. It was on an X plate and had basically been unused for 8 years.
I bought it as a none runner. When I got it home I discovered It would start and idle with full choke but wouldn't rev. I had to strip the carb and clean it - it was full of jelly from stale petrol. Once I'd got it running right I just put an MOT on it and then sold it to a dealer for considerably more than I paid for it.
Normally Virago's being so old are wrecked, but this one was a bit special...

(edited 9 years ago)
Virago is quite nice
Cruisers aren't a favourite of mine though I do quite like the look of the cagiva raptor but I prefer the naked sports bike type look
Where did you get your varadero for under 2 grand?

Yeah once I save up a bit I might just go for the YBR
But if there's a better bike available someone's able to suggest, I'm all ears :

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by JC.

That thing's pristine. :eek: Then again I suppose it would be if it's gone unused for 8 years. Pity you sold it to a dealer, else I might've been interested. :p:

Virago is quite nice
Cruisers aren't a favourite of mine though I do quite like the look of the cagiva raptor but I prefer the naked sports bike type look
Where did you get your varadero for under 2 grand?

Yeah once I save up a bit I might just go for the YBR
But if there's a better bike available someone's able to suggest, I'm all ears :

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has anyone mentioned the YZF yet? If you like sporty it's probably more up your street than the YBR. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Dez
That thing's pristine. :eek: Then again I suppose it would be if it's gone unused for 8 years. Pity you sold it to a dealer, else I might've been interested. :p:

So long as I make my money I don't care who I sell to.
As nice as the virago was, my shadow made it look rough. Now that really was mint.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dez

Has anyone mentioned the YZF yet? If you like sporty it's probably more up your street than the YBR. :smile:

YZFs nice too, someone I know has one

What about equipment like jackets, helmets,jeans etc?
Was looking at the axo air cage and speed and strength jacket
Any brands or specific items anyone has had good experiences with when in crashes or whatever would help
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
In terms of protection, get the most you can afford. Its your life, your body and the risk is huge.

In saying that, check out this website http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ before buying a helmet as most expensive doesn't always mean best. However, the more expensive means more comfortable at higher speeds, but given its a 125, I doubt that will be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honda Varadero 125.

You can easily pick one up for around £1,500 with relatively low mileage, and for that you get a bike that is the same size as a big engined bike, so you're nice and visible and have good visibility over other vehicles, a very good riding position if you're new to motorbikes, they're very comfortable and of course you have the typical Honda reliability which means that it's pretty much bulletproof.
Original post by mackemforever
Honda Varadero 125.

You can easily pick one up for around £1,500 with relatively low mileage, and for that you get a bike that is the same size as a big engined bike, so you're nice and visible and have good visibility over other vehicles, a very good riding position if you're new to motorbikes, they're very comfortable and of course you have the typical Honda reliability which means that it's pretty much bulletproof.

What would the insurance on that be though?
I really like the varadero but was considering the cbr or yzf if it meant cheaper insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would the insurance on that be though?
I really like the varadero but was considering the cbr or yzf if it meant cheaper insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Insurance wise all 125cc bikes are pretty much the same, if they're around the same value. Obviously a £500 wreck would be cheaper to insure than a £8,000 brand new bike but if you're buying in the £1,000 to £1,500 range then there is virtually no difference between them.

Quick Reply

Latest