The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed - bad module grade(s), applying to Oxford

So here's the situation: I did my whole maths A-Level in year 12. I took two more maths modules than I needed, as some could be carried on to both further maths AS and A2. However, these modules aren't very good (C and D, I just don't want the latter grade to be seen, it feels like it puts everything down). I got AAAA (one is a maths A2) in my first year, and I am predicted A*AAA for the end of year 13 (physics, maths, further maths, chemistry - 4 full A-Levels), but I am retaking a couple of different maths modules to aim for A*A*AA.

I really do not want to retake the D module, I would rather take more modules this year from scratch and aim for high grades.

My deadline is tomorrow afternoon if I am applying for Oxford, so I need help to decide quickly. My GCSEs weren't grade but they weren't at a particularly good school, so that might factor into it - 3A*, 5A, 3B. Should I:

- Retake the module so it gets put down as pending
- Hide all module grades (disadvantaged/showing something to hide?)
- Put it down regardless, as I will have 4 full A-Levels at the end
- Forget about Oxford?
- Include module results but not the two that currently do not count to a cashed in award

There is an entrance test for the course I am applying to, which could help me out. I would appreciate any advice on what exactly to do. I would prefer to include all module results apart from the 2 that don't count at the moment, although this is probably not allowed. Thanks for any replies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AAT2014
So here's the situation: I did my whole maths A-Level in year 12. I took two more maths modules than I needed, as some could be carried on to both further maths AS and A2. However, these modules aren't very good (C and D, I just don't want the latter grade to be seen, it feels like it puts everything down). I got AAAA (one is a maths A2) in my first year, and I am predicted A*AAA for the end of year 13 (physics, maths, further maths, chemistry - 4 full A-Levels), but I am retaking a couple of different maths modules to aim for A*A*AA.

I really do not want to retake the D module, I would rather take more modules this year from scratch and aim for high grades.

My deadline is tomorrow afternoon if I am applying for Oxford, so I need help to decide quickly. My GCSEs weren't grade but they weren't at a particularly good school, so that might factor into it - 3A*, 5A, 3B. Should I:

- Forget about Oxford?
- Include module results but not the two that currently do not count to a cashed in award

There is an entrance test for the course I am applying to, which could help me out. I would appreciate any advice on what exactly to do. I would prefer to include all module results apart from the 2 that don't count at the moment, although this is probably not allowed. Thanks for any replies.

Are you applying for maths?
Reply 2
Original post by Principia
Are you applying for maths?

Physics, A*AA typical offer, with a PAT test - which doing the A-Level early gives me a slight advantage on
Reply 3
Anyone?
Don't take the following as proper advice - it's ONLY an opinion, completely unfounded, and may be totally wrong.

My instinctive response is to include all module marks.

They are additional modules, and that's additional to taking the whole A-level in one year. Even in an ultra-competitive environment like this, admissions tutors are going to expect an element of humanity, and they'll know you could have got around it by retaking, so they'll know you are honest. If you were applying for maths I might say differently, but Physics is slightly off to the side. You clearly come up to the entry requirement standards, so they'll be looking for some flair in the PAT or the interview.

I advise you to train for the PAT and interview. If you haven't sent your PS yet you could tell them you're doing STEP next year - it won't be part of your offer, and it might get you 'maths enthusiasm' points. However, the people who get in are those who meet the standards, and who impress in interview and admissions tests. My friend got in with a B in the subject they were applying for at AS - they were clearly a special case, but it does show Oxford favour their own admissions process.

Good luck either way, and don't give up on Oxford (though remember it's just extremely competitive, so if it doesn't work out it doesn't mean you weren't good enough)! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Octohedral
My instinctive response is to include all module marks.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your opinion on the matter, it's helped me! :smile:
Original post by AAT2014
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your opinion on the matter, it's helped me! :smile:

No problem. I just hope I'm right - someone else may contradict me. :smile:
Original post by AAT2014

- Forget about Oxford?

Again, just an opinion from hearsay:

(1) Retake module so it gets put down as pending - this does not sound right - if you retake an exam, you report both the original result and the retake

(2) Hiding module grades - this sounds OK - you are not penalised for reporting only the overall grade of each cashed in AS exam - and your referee can selectively report any superb UMS that need highlighting (I've seen it done successfully for good offers including Oxford) - but Minerva's advice is that module grades are sometimes used as tie-breaker, so there is a risk that you would miss out on an offer if you ended up as a borderline candidate for a course

(3) Put it down regardless - fine, but it is difficult to know how the C and D grades would be regarded by the admissions teams at each uni

(4) Provide all module results except the two that have not been cashed in - I'd ask your UCAS tutor for specific advice on whether this is permitted - but from the sound of it, if these modules have not been cashed-in (i.e. not used to certificate the AS result), then there might be no requirement to disclose (you must of course disclose the overall grade of each cashed in AS level, and you have the option to disclose all the module marks for the cashed in AS levels). Minerva adds (at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 )

"...The special case of Maths You should enter the AS level/s and module grades as awarded - if you have overall grades on your results slip the qualifications have been certificated. If they weren't certificated, just add in the modules under the pending AS and the pending A level as applicable.

If the qualifications are subsequently re-certificated because of the re-distribution of modules between Maths and Further Maths, you need to enter them all again - AS and A levels separately as appropriate.

If you resit a module or modules and a qualification is re-certificated as a result, but not as part of a redistribution, you'll need to enter the qualification again with the revised overall grade and/or module grades."
Original post by AAT2014

A module is not a qualification.

You should only enter your qualifications - that means your A and AS levels and any modules associated with those qualifications.

If you've taken modules that aren't yet (and may never be) associated with a formal qualification then you should not enter it on your UCAS application.
Reply 9
Original post by Holmstock
Again, just an opinion from hearsay

Original post by PQ
A module is not a qualification.

Also, thank you very much! The replies have been welcomed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending