The Student Room Group

Operating Department Practice 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by sbraders11
Can I add you on facebook, I'm Shannon Kathleen Bradley I can't wait to get starteds_

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have Facebook but if u have twitter follow me up @Ikhlass_Habibty sorry for the late reply :smile:
Reply 581
Anyone here been accepted into /applied to UCLAN?
Original post by Amarog
Anyone here been accepted into /applied to UCLAN?

Me, I got interview on 3rd
Reply 583
Original post by hamzahamjad
Me, I got interview on 3rd

Congrats:biggrin: , I can't give details but the interview isn't anything to worry about, staff are friendly and as long as you talk you'll be fine:smile:
No Canterbury, students yeeeet? I'm so lonely!
Reply 585
Original post by Elliebeanie
No Canterbury, students yeeeet? I'm so lonely!

Should start a thread for each Uni to find peoples on the course. Think I'll give it a try in a bit.
Original post by Amarog
Should start a thread for each Uni to find peoples on the course. Think I'll give it a try in a bit.

I might have to try that! I'm hoping to find some people once accommodation is all confirmed and stuff.
Hi Ellie! Congrats on your offer,I have also been given an unconditional offer for September 2015! Woooo! See you there x
Anyone have been to bedfordshire uni for Maths and English test?
Please someone help
Hi,

I just recently had my baby who's only 10weeks old, I'm trying to get myself better and getting ready to start uni in September. I just hope I have the confidence and not still have a baby brain when I start my course in bcu. Can anyone advise me what is the best book in practice I should get for odp I would much appreciate your help.
Original post by Miss little
Hi,

I just recently had my baby who's only 10weeks old, I'm trying to get myself better and getting ready to start uni in September. I just hope I have the confidence and not still have a baby brain when I start my course in bcu. Can anyone advise me what is the best book in practice I should get for odp I would much appreciate your help.

Congrats on the babu! I'm sure your baby brain will have levelled out a bit by sept haha :smile:

As for reading, I don't know about anything in particular, I would research perioperative care books. However, they are not cheap, especially if you want an up to date one. A lot of them cost around £40 from what I have seen :s
Fellow Anglia Ruskin students, does anyone know the timetable for this september, more so the days we are on placement?
Original post by mariam2020
Anyone have been to bedfordshire uni for Maths and English test?
Please someone help

I went today and it went well!
Hi all,
Is anyone going to be studying ODP at Portsmouth university? I have a conditional offer (firm) and am yet to find anyone else doing the course at Portsmouth and just thought that it would be nice to meet some people before we start.

Sammy:smile:
Did they give you any feed back
Reply 595
Hiya, I have and interview and BCU on monday and wonder if anyone could give me any information on what I could expect on the day and anything you think would be useful to know. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hannah
Woah woah woah is Operating Department Practice an actual degree which focuses on surgery? Instead of studying medicine? I've never heard of this before and I really want to be a surgeon.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by geniequeen48
Woah woah woah is Operating Department Practice an actual degree which focuses on surgery? Instead of studying medicine? I've never heard of this before and I really want to be a surgeon.

Nope. Not at all. You want to be a surgeon, you need to study medicine.
Original post by lilly80
Nope. Not at all. You want to be a surgeon, you need to study medicine.

Oh okay thank you lol. So what is it exactly?
Original post by geniequeen48
Oh okay thank you lol. So what is it exactly?

It's for working in the 3 area's of the operating department. You train to assist the anaesthetist in anaesthetic room e.g set up for the case, do the WHO, make sure all the paperwork is correct, position the patient in the operating room and the lights etc. Most importantly making sure you do everything possible to maintain the patients dignity.

Assist in the actual case in the scrub role, passing instruments etc or in the circulating role you pass things that the scrubbed person or surgeon needs in a sterile way and doing the paperwork, WHO etc.

Lastly you could be recovering a patient after an operation until they are well enough to be discharged in a day case or back to the ward.

If you want to be a surgeon you will come across plenty of ODP's

Quick Reply

Latest