The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

University of Surrey: 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KiwiMonkey96
I like the course, its what I've wanted to do for years. You'll probably find you'll love some modules and not so much others, it depends on individual preference. There's quite a lot in the lectures, for most modules there's just over 300, so most lecturers are unlikely to ever get to know who you are, and some students find it difficult to ask questions during the lecture because of this, but they always give you time at the end to come up to them individually if they can.
Your room will be clean when you arrive, if not complain, they should be cleaning it before you move in .

Oh I like the idea of big lecture theaters and a lot of people in them looool. Whats a typical week like for you? In terms of lectures, tutorials etc etc

As long as you want it and work for it hard enough, there is not a thing you cannot achieve. Mobile
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by JohnsHatun
Oh I like the idea of big lecture theaters and a lot of people in them looool. Whats a typical week like for you? In terms of lectures, tutorials etc etc

As long as you want it and work for it hard enough, there is not a thing you cannot achieve. Mobile

The timetable involves mainly lectures and practicals. The number of lectures varies per week, for example this week I have 8 hours but last week I had 12, it seems to be mostly between 8 and 14 hours per week. Practicals are more difficult to say. Each modules will have so many practicals, and these will be across the semester.
Are there many people who got put in Manor Park but didn't want to be? I've seen people saying it's really quiet, is that true? I feel like I might feel a bit 'out of it' if I was put there, especially for freshers etc :smile:
Original post by Alice9717
Are there many people who got put in Manor Park but didn't want to be? I've seen people saying it's really quiet, is that true? I feel like I might feel a bit 'out of it' if I was put there, especially for freshers etc :smile:

It is a bit outside, I can't say what it's like to live there of course, but it does have the down side of being at a further distance (feel sorry for those who get hazel farm). But then again chances are you'll be at a similar distance in second year onwards, depending where you find accommodation. The up-side to it is that the rooms are newer, and slightly bigger. I've never looked there myself so its coming from what I've heard. Again from what I've heard, it is generally more quiet as its out of the way. There are always people who want to move from manor park to campus and vice versa, its completely personal preference.
The timetable involves mainly lectures and practicals. The number of lectures varies per week, for example this week I have 8 hours but last week I had 12, it seems to be mostly between 8 and 14 hours per week. Practicals are more difficult to say. Each modules will have so many practicals, and these will be across the semester.

Roughly how many practicals have you done so far since September?

In first semester I had 3 in two modules, 4 in another and the final module didn't have any. This semester I've currently done 3 for one module and 2 for another. So 15 so far, I've still got another 3 to go for one module and the last module just has one full day of practicals, although most biomeds do the other optional module than I choose, and this semester they have a practical for that module basically every week, so it also depends on module selection
In first semester I had 3 in two modules, 4 in another and the final module didn't have any. This semester I've currently done 3 for one module and 2 for another. So 15 so far, I've still got another 3 to go for one module and the last module just has one full day of practicals, although most biomeds do the other optional module than I choose, and this semester they have a practical for that module basically every week, so it also depends on module selection

Interesting... Thanks for answering everything, I know I asked a lot of questions! I just firmed surrey. Cant wait to start!! 😋

I have a conditional offer of AAB for Biomedical Science, anyone else? :smile:

I'm going to the biosciences applicant day on 1st April - let me know if anyone else is going to!

Still trying to decide whether to put Surrey or Reading (conditional AAC/ABB) as my firm :/
Original post by LJennings3
I have a conditional offer of AAB for Biomedical Science, anyone else? :smile:

I'm going to the biosciences applicant day on 1st April - let me know if anyone else is going to!

Still trying to decide whether to put Surrey or Reading (conditional AAC/ABB) as my firm :/

I would say surrey defo! Secondly, Im firming surrey to study biomedical science too!! Congratulations!!!

I would say surrey defo! Secondly, Im firming surrey to study biomedical science too!! Congratulations!!!

Awesome! I've applied for the professional placement year too, have you? :smile: Thank you, congratulations to you also!:biggrin:
Original post by LJennings3
Awesome! I've applied for the professional placement year too, have you? :smile: Thank you, congratulations to you also!:biggrin:

I want to do graduate entry medicine so unless I change my mind in year 2 then I won't do the placement year. But if I do change my mind I definitely want to do the placement year.

How likely is it that I'll end up with my 3rd-7th choice of accommodation? Does anyone know people who were given one of their lowest choices :smile:?
Original post by Alice9717
How likely is it that I'll end up with my 3rd-7th choice of accommodation? Does anyone know people who were given one of their lowest choices :smile:?

I would think that is very unlikely. Most people seem to get their first choice if not then their second. Unless your first choice is band F, then its unlikely you'll get your first ☺.
Reply 353
Hello, can you help me a bit please?:smile:
I am applying for BA German and Management - Languages department. Currently I have no opportunity to visit the uni just to find the department, and I plan to apply for accommodation. What are the at least three-five nearest campuses to this department so for me to have any clue? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I know I want to live in band D accommodation but I have to put 7 preference. What do I put as they all my preferences have to be unique.

Usman
Original post by Usmanaftab18
Hi,

I know I want to live in band D accommodation but I have to put 7 preference. What do I put as they all my preferences have to be unique.

Usman

surrey's accommodation application is pretty weird yeah, i applied last night but i want band c so i put in order of preference c, d, b, a, e, f.

just put your first preference in the first box then one you wouldn't mind as a back up in the second. most people get their first or second preference but you have to fill them all.
Original post by Alevel4
Anyone applied for the accounting and finance course ?
I received an offer but stuck between surrey and birmingham

Yh I have What is your offer? Mine is AAB
Original post by elliemoriartyell
surrey's accommodation application is pretty weird yeah, i applied last night but i want band c so i put in order of preference c, d, b, a, e, f.

just put your first preference in the first box then one you wouldn't mind as a back up in the second. most people get their first or second preference but you have to fill them all.

Ahhh okay thanks yh I hope I get my 1st choice. I have also sent my off. Do you how long it takes for them to get back to us?
Original post by Usmanaftab18
Ahhh okay thanks yh I hope I get my 1st choice. I have also sent my off. Do you how long it takes for them to get back to us?

if you've got a conditional offer you'll find out after results come through in August, but if you're taking an unconditional offer I have no idea!
Original post by elliemoriartyell
if you've got a conditional offer you'll find out after results come through in August, but if you're taking an unconditional offer I have no idea!

It was mentioned at the applicant day I went to that Surrey don't offer unconditionals - but that might just be for psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending