The Student Room Group

Can I park here for free for the whole day?

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/free/notting_hill/parking/
In the sainsbury's car park. 2 canal way
Usually you have to be shopping there, and there might be a maximum stay restriction.
Reply 2
If there's no maximum stay restriction, then just buy your lunch there every day and you'll be set to go.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Usually you have to be shopping there, and there might be a maximum stay restriction.

Yeah but surely they wouldn't know, right? They have 330 parking spaces. And by whole day I mean like 9 to 5, because I work close by, just need somewhere to park
Reply 4
You stay for up to a week there, feel free to leave your car.
Original post by daydreamer93
Yeah but surely they wouldn't know, right? They have 330 parking spaces. And by whole day I mean like 9 to 5, because I work close by, just need somewhere to park

They often have cameras etc.

I'm just saying that if they have rules saying you have to be shopping there and/or only stay for a maximum amount of time and if you got found out, you would probably get fined.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
They often have cameras etc.

I'm just saying that if they have rules saying you have to be shopping there and/or only stay for a maximum amount of time and if you got found out, you would probably get fined.

Original post by Nuffles
If there's no maximum stay restriction, then just buy your lunch there every day and you'll be set to go.

ahaha yeah I'll buy my lunch there in the morning, we'll see how it goes. Heres the place
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/storelocator/storelocator_detail_view.jsp?storeId=602&bmForm=store_details

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/w10_5aa/
Reply 7
Best thing to do is have a good scout around the whole car park for signs (while on a shopping trip there of course).

Not only will the signs tell you of any time limit, but if there's a clause of "leaving premises" or "remaining on premises".

If there are no signs, then you're good to go... but be aware that signs could spring up any day.
Reply 8
I thought all Sainsbury's car parks were 2 hours?
Reply 9
It'll almost certainly be managed by a private parking company you may use ANPR cameras or wardens to issue 'tickets'.

While these tickets can be easily fought, if you're going to get one every day it may be get rather time consuming and, depending on the company, may even prompt legal action.

You wouldn't ever be doing something illegal it may be more trouble than it's worth.
Original post by spyka
It'll almost certainly be managed by a private parking company you may use ANPR cameras or wardens to issue 'tickets'.

While these tickets can be easily fought, if you're going to get one every day it may be get rather time consuming and, depending on the company, may even prompt legal action.

You wouldn't ever be doing something illegal it may be more trouble than it's worth.

ooo man, no where to park for free in notting hill:mad:
Reply 11
Original post by spyka

Oohhhhhhhhhhh legal action. Scary stuff!

Their "fines" are none enforceable. They can only claim for actual loss of earnings anyway. In a free to park carpark that'll be £zero.
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
Oohhhhhhhhhhh legal action. Scary stuff!

Their "fines" are none enforceable. They can only claim for actual loss of earnings anyway. In a free to park carpark that'll be £zero.

Sorry but it's just not that simple anymore.

For a start, a number of parking companies (Parking Eye in particular, who operate a number of super market car parks) are launching thousands of court cases.

Legal action requires you to respond. If you don't the judge will rule in their favour, so even if it is unenforceable, you'll still have to put time and effort in and go before a court to argue you case - something a lot people either can't or don't want to do.

Secondly, a number of county courts have ruled in favour of parking companies, even when a strong defence has been submitted. There is actually an appeal against a key one of these cases scheduled for early next year, the result of which could potentially set quite a precedent.

Thirdly, if you're going to be getting these 'fines' every day, it's going to give the parking operator more reason to peruse you in court, the amount would be greater, as would interest and costs, and the judge will not look too kindly on you if you he thinks you were taking the piss.

Quick Reply

Latest