The Student Room Group

Political differences between the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems

What are the political differences between the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems? I'm trying to understand the political system a bit more

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Labour are left wing,and air towards a welfare state.

Tory are centre right,and we're more about people paying low taxes, and making money via; large business. China (there economy is growing by something like 9% a year) are investing large sums of money into this country simply because business are able to make more money here. Also, there has been a vast amount of money being invested in infrastructure.

Libs dems are there to speak when spoken too.
Contrary to what the above poster is claiming, Labour is not left wing. They're slightly more left than the conservatives, but still very far from the left hand side of the political spectrum.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
Contrary to what the above poster is claiming, Labour is not left wing. They're slightly more left than the conservatives, but still very far from the left hand side of the political spectrum.

I was meaning to change it to centre left, but I'm too lazy.
Original post by Scott.
I was meaning to change it to centre left, but I'm too lazy.

Let's be honest, they're hardly centre-left. The only reason why you're saying that is because they're relatively left in comparison to many other UK political parties. I'd argue that they're centre-right.
Original post by Chlorophile
Let's be honest, they're hardly centre-left. The only reason why you're saying that is because they're relatively left in comparison to many other UK political parties. I'd argue that they're centre-right.

I'd say they are left of the British centre :wink:
Original post by rubyamelia
What are the political differences between the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems? I'm trying to understand the political system a bit more

Thank you :smile:

Policies change and leaders change so its difficult to give a detailed answer - for all I know it;'d change tomorrow XD so here's an extremely simplified summary. Quote me if you have any Qs :smile:

Labour - Social Democrats - Based around working together etc. Founded to protect worker's rights, has achieved great things historically but appears to be suffering an identity crisis atm Traditionally favours higher wages over high employment.
Conservative - Neo-liberal (arguably all the main parties have fit into this bracket since Thatcher) - Based more around individual enterprise and achievement rather than the group ('social' achievement). Traditionally favours lower unemployment over high wages.
Liberal Democrats - An amalgamation of the old Liberal Party and the Social Democrat Party (an off-shoot of Labour) - soft Tory policy, pro-EU, pro-human rights, 'liberal' social policy
Reply 7
Original post by RayApparently
I'd say they are left of the British centre :wink:

Which is a bit of a 50:50 chance in a two party system...
Original post by Quady
Which is a bit of a 50:50 chance in a two party system...

UKIP winning a national election skews the British centre more right than it would normally be. Labour and the Tories may be the only big players but they don't alone define the nation's politics.
Reply 9
Nothing much other than fluff to try and suggest they are different from one another.
Reply 10
UKIP winning a national election skews the British centre more right than it would normally be. Labour and the Tories may be the only big players but they don't alone define the nation's politics.

They are a single issue party in an election was about that single issue.

They they have other policies which are to the right, but people weren't voting for them on that.
Original post by Quady
They are a single issue party in an election was about that single issue.

They they have other policies which are to the right, but people weren't voting for them on that.

Well technically it wasn't...
And the 2nd statement is indefensible...

What exactly are you arguing anyway lol? That Labour is centre-right? Because in all fairness that's subjective.
Reply 12
Well technically it wasn't...
And the 2nd statement is indefensible...

What exactly are you arguing anyway lol? That Labour is centre-right? Because in all fairness that's subjective.

Really? Who was voting for UKIP for any other policy than leaving the EU?

No, I'm arguing they are both centre, having two parties which can be separated with tracing paper so that one is technically left of the other is pretty meaningless.
Reply 13
labour are centre left for me

but right wing policies seem to work well for this country
There is none - the biggest difference between them are their party colours. None of them represent ordinary people, disparity in wealth continues to be perpetuated regardless of who is in government, none of them feel able to express what they actually think for fear of being labelled extreme in their views, they all come from the same elite class whose privilege is only sustained by the system which they control. The idea that there even is a political spectrum in mainstream British politics is a joke.
Original post by plasmaman
There is none - the biggest difference between them are their party colours. None of them represent ordinary people, disparity in wealth continues to be perpetuated regardless of who is in government, none of them feel able to express what they actually think for fear of being labelled extreme in their views, they all come from the same elite class whose privilege is only sustained by the system which they control. The idea that there even is a political spectrum in mainstream British politics is a joke.

If only Tony Benn had won the Leadership.
Original post by Quady
Really? Who was voting for UKIP for any other policy than leaving the EU?

No, I'm arguing they are both centre, having two parties which can be separated with tracing paper so that one is technically left of the other is pretty meaningless.

No one's denying it wasn't a huge factor but it'd be plain silly to suggest UKIP's rise isn't also related to the agitation and growth of the centre-right traditional Tories who feel Cameron's centrist approach just sin't cutting it.

Well if you check out the party conferences its clear Labour is considerably centre-left if we're calling the Tories centre.
No one's denying it wasn't a huge factor but it'd be plain silly to suggest UKIP's rise isn't also related to the agitation and growth of the centre-right traditional Tories who feel Cameron's centrist approach just sin't cutting it.

Well if you check out the party conferences its clear Labour is considerably centre-left if we're calling the Tories centre.

Could you perhaps explain what benefits (no pun intended, I think) a Labour government would bring to the country?

I'm new to politics (started getting interested a year ago), and can't for the life of me see why anyone wouldn't vote Conservative?
Reply 18

The Tories were down less than 4%

The BNP was down less almost 5%, the collpase of the BNP has meant UKIP have picked up votes from a bunch of racists. Thats not a rise in the vote of the right.

Given Labour hasn't explained anything on how its going to approach the pulic sector finances I think thats pretty much impossible to say.
They all believe in the Thatcherite consensus. Yet you get the situation where Tories somehow blame labor of the financial crisis even though they are all equally responsible. People are politically illiterate.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending