The Student Room Group

Staying motivated with your A-Levels?

At the moment I am really struggling to stay motivated with my A-Levels. I'm exhausted and I get homework from every teacher every lesson.
I don't mind this as I understand this is what sixth form is like however despite doing work in my free lessons, I never seem to have a less load of work.
On the days I finish early I come home and i'm writing up notes from the lessons, revising and finishing homework - usually i'm doing this until 10pm and at the moment i'm struggling to stay motivated with it all.
Does anybody have any recommendations of how to get through the work quicker and stay motivated?
Original post by cnstudy
At the moment I am really struggling to stay motivated with my A-Levels. I'm exhausted and I get homework from every teacher every lesson.
I don't mind this as I understand this is what sixth form is like however despite doing work in my free lessons, I never seem to have a less load of work.
On the days I finish early I come home and i'm writing up notes from the lessons, revising and finishing homework - usually i'm doing this until 10pm and at the moment i'm struggling to stay motivated with it all.
Does anybody have any recommendations of how to get through the work quicker and stay motivated?
Unless you actually enjoy the subject you are studying, then staying focussed will be a big hurdle for you.

If you have a university course/career in mind and are focussed on achieving that, it will help to keep it at the forefront of your mind, that you are doing this as a means to an end. The more you want it, the harder you are likely to work for it.

Draw up a syllabus list and tick off the items you cover to give yourself a sense of progress and achievement.

Take scheduled breaks, go for walks or do some sports to clear your head and keep you fit and those endorphins flowing.

Line up some rewards for yourself when you achieve a goal - like music time, or a night out at the cinema/with friends etc. If you can, set up some study groups where you get together/help each other. A problem shared is a problem halved!

Switch off distractions like phone and stay off the internet unless it is for proper study.

Keep a pillow to punch and take out any frustrations when it all gets too much! At which point, take a break and get a good nights sleep!
Sorry but why are you writing up notes and revising?? Start revising in May, and write up notes...never. Honestly doing the homework then revision and past papers at the end when you have exams is by far the most efficient way of doing things, fatiguing yourself early and causing a break down isn't going to help you, my friend.
you've just got to get into the right mind set. for me I did really badly at the start of my AS year and I was at a college were generally people achieved very high. I just felt the need to keep up and prove I could do it.
What I do is break up my revision into chunks (30 minute chunks for me). Then take breaks in between. This way you're not working until you absolutely can't. And you're rewarding yourself in between.

I think you also need to remember why you chose Biology. Doing that will motivate you.

Also I wouldn't work the whole week. Give yourself a day of relaxation. I know you might be like 'but I've got so much work'. Yes, you probably do but you also need to take care of yourself. You can't do well in school with a crappy mental state.

Also working until 10pm: big no no. Stop at 9pm the latest.
Original post by shutyourquiznak
What I do is break up my revision into chunks (30 minute chunks for me). Then take breaks in between. This way you're not working until you absolutely can't. And you're rewarding yourself in between.

I think you also need to remember why you chose Biology. Doing that will motivate you.

Also I wouldn't work the whole week. Give yourself a day of relaxation. I know you might be like 'but I've got so much work'. Yes, you probably do but you also need to take care of yourself. You can't do well in school with a crappy mental state.

Also working until 10pm: big no no. Stop at 9pm the latest.

and also don't keep all the stress bottled up. Tell people how you're feeling, like people who will support you. Honestly, having people who support and encourage you will be a big help.

Quick Reply