The Student Room Group

Weights for a newbie

Scroll to see replies

This thread has gone to the dogs

OU - go to a physio, get your shoulder sorted. Then come back :smile: If you think it's fine however SL5x5, or one of the routines in the female FAQ written by powerlifter.

Original post by BKS
Women don't need women specific programmes. Yes, most programmes assume the user is male but the same principles of training apply to all people. They might want to start OHP on less than 20kg and they might want to use smaller weight increases (or switch to smaller after a bit) but the programme can still be the same as a man would use.

This

Spoiler

Neuro-muscular junction efficiency is a hell of a thing

As for Genocidal - I think SS in this instance is daft. Unless your absolute prime focus is strength it's not for you. That coupled with OP being female and not having the added bonus of testosterone in her veins, SS is not advisable.

Going around flaming users with silver back gorilla taunts also does not aid you in your argument.
Reply 21
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Why the heck is female training different to male training?! We have the same muscles don't we? Just use a lighter weight.

Do you even understand the art of sculpting your body?

Female training is different because girls want a nice arse and legs and mostly train legs. On the other hand boys just train chest and want big arms.

There is no difference at all!

Original post by Angry cucumber
This thread has gone to the dogs

OU - go to a physio, get your shoulder sorted. Then come back :smile: If you think it's fine however SL5x5, or one of the routines in the female FAQ written by powerlifter.

This

Spoiler

BB.Com forum is troll but have toy actually read the articles, their workout programmes and body space for logging progression. I never mentioned misc, full of idiots.

natty said aye, another guy who fools the nation.

I may have come across as some what big headed but I got called out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AMG44
Do you even understand the art of sculpting your body?

Female training is different because girls want a nice arse and legs and mostly train legs. On the other hand boys just train chest and want big arms.

There is no difference at all!

BB.Com forum is troll but have toy actually read the articles, their workout programmes and body space for logging progression. I never mentioned misc, full of idiots.

natty said aye, another guy who fools the nation.

I may have come across as some what big headed but I got called out.

What? Are you being sarcastic or actually serious?

So why was OP advised against doing a routine like ss or sl 5x5 as they're not a 'female routine'? Guys shouldn't just be training chest and arms, and women shouldn't be just training legs...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AMG44

I have done it and had to stop doing as it was too taxing hence my post. you have to give it your all every workout

And so you should. If you aren't putting your all into every workout stop wasting your time.

Original post by AMG44

Why have you jumped to the assumption she just wants to do a powerlifting program?

We don't really know what type of programme she wants to do, and judging by the post she doesn't either yet. It seemed pertinent to bring up such powerlifting programmes because that was the direction of the thread. Although I will say Stronglifts is actually a hybrid between powerlifting and hypertrophy due to the higher reps per set.

Original post by AMG44

Actually own SS and have read it in full unlike you, i'm assuming, even been to seminars hosted by top power lifters i.e. ed coan and dan greene.

Assuming things you know nothing about. And just because you went to a seminar doesn't mean a damn thing. It doesn't mean you actually took the information in.

Original post by AMG44

A doctor can only advise, only OP knows the extent of her injury and has to make her own decision. what do most clinically obese doctors know about fitness?

I agree here, but I'd rather take a medical professional over someone who knows practically nothing about what she's doing yet. Granted, I wouldn't personally visit a doctor. I'd just go for it and see what happens, but I acknowledge most people probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

Of course, she could go to one of those sports therapy clinic things. I've never been, but the chances are it's better than a local 'obese' GP.

Original post by AMG44

once again, never been to a competitive power lifting even in my life before. an manipulated my weight to get a higher wilks

Is in no way an indicator of knowledge at all. It's not complex stuff.

[QUOTE="AMG44;50733277"]
Please, oly lifting is full of peds, it would be naive to think otherwise, what has mark riptoe actually won or had his clients won?

All forms of lifting are full of drugs, so that's a pretty redundant argument. And it's entirely irrelevant whether Mark Rippetoe has coached at the top level or not. His programme is a basic novice programme not designed for competitive powerlifters or professional athletes.

Original post by AMG44

Only been lifting over 8 years, no gym experience what so ever. Only train in the same gym as the strongest man in the world. no biggie.

By that logic anyone who has ever happened to train in the same gym as a professional athlete must be an expert. If I wanted to be a bodybuilder and for some unknown reason Kai Greene decided he wanted to choose my local gym to train at, that fact would not automatically make me an expert in the slightest.

And lifting length has absolutely no bearing on knowledge at all. You can train for years and still be a novice if you've ****ed around with all the broscience workouts and whatever else is around the local gyms these days.

Original post by AMG44

end of the day SS is ok to learn compound lifts, or do it for a few months. it isn't a great as you think it is. to much max weight and not enough volume.

It is. And really you shouldn't be on SS or any other similar programme for more than say six months, depending on how you progress. The goal is to milk as much out of it as possible, whilst incorporating deloads. Some people with good genetics can last on the programme for up to a year and still make big gains.

Original post by AMG44

I actually get better strength gains doing 4x 20 reps than 3x5 on squats. of corse that isn't true? well how the flipping hell would I know know that if I haven't of experimented for years.

Well that's nonsense because even the most basic guide would tell you doing tonnes of volume will never be as effective as ramping up the weight for pure strength gains. I acknowledge that you can't max out forever after the noob gains have ended, but to say that they're overall more effective is just plain wrong.

Now when you get to the higher levels everyone knows you're going to have some imbalance and you may need to do more volume on certain areas of the body that have lagged behind. If you're alternating between high reps and low reps, fair enough, but if you're exclusively doing these huge sets then you've wasted a huge amount of those eight years.
Original post by illusionz
lol it's a hell of a lot better than TSR fitness section if you know where to look.

I guarantee AMG is a more experienced and stronger lifter than you. Pretty much everything he said is correct, you're making yourself look like a fool.

Yeah? And who are you supposed to be when it comes to making guarantees, random person on the Internet? :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by Genocidal

Although I will say Stronglifts is actually a hybrid between powerlifting and hypertrophy due to the higher reps per set.

Assuming things you know nothing about. And just because you went to a seminar doesn't mean a damn thing. It doesn't mean you actually took the information in.

Is in no way an indicator of knowledge at all. It's not complex stuff.

By that logic anyone who has ever happened to train in the same gym as a professional athlete must be an expert. If I wanted to be a bodybuilder and for some unknown reason Kai Greene decided he wanted to choose my local gym to train at, that fact would not automatically make me an expert in the slightest.

It is. And really you shouldn't be on SS or any other similar programme for more than say six months, depending on how you progress. The goal is to milk as much out of it as possible, whilst incorporating deloads. Some people with good genetics can last on the programme for up to a year and still make big gains.

Well that's nonsense because even the most basic guide would tell you doing tonnes of volume will never be as effective as ramping up the weight for pure strength gains. I acknowledge that you can't max out forever after the noob gains have ended, but to say that they're overall more effective is just plain wrong.

Now when you get to the higher levels everyone knows you're going to have some imbalance and you may need to do more volume on certain areas of the body that have lagged behind. If you're alternating between high reps and low reps, fair enough, but if you're exclusively doing these huge sets then you've wasted a huge amount of those eight years.

SS is predominately strength not muscle building. cba to have the debate on rep range and fibre types. it isn't even high rep, there is no high rep about it.

Seminar/coached by think I took some things in.

Powerlifting is not complex? many people thing it is simply brute strength, it isn't... it can take time to master your technique.

Again, trained with.

Agreed.

Alternating on 6 weeks period, you can't lift heavy all the time fact. the reason behind it as i've stated before is the back is the limiting factor. back gives out at higher weights before legs.

1 high rep of 260kg back squat, ok.... 227.5 for 5x3 the back fails.

180kg for 4x 20 allows for the first set to work on speed, by the 4h set comes it becomes a mental challenge, that I can overcome.

powerlifting is just mental, so If i can do that, 1 rep is easy right?

Quick Reply

Latest