The Student Room Group

Girls, have you ever asked a guy out?

How did the person respond?

Scroll to see replies

I asked my current partner out on OkCupid, Been in a LDR cause of Uni for nearly a year now, made plans to stay together after Uni so you could say it was a success. We're pretty much made for each other. :smile:
edit: He was the first and only guy I went on a date with on OkCupid, and the first guy I had sex with. :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've only ever asked one guy out.. he said yes so I don't think it went too bad?
Lol. No. Just no.
Several times... Always rejected.

:nothing: It's a strengthening experience...
Respond?? He didn't, not at all :frown:
Few times. Always a yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Presumably this question is aimed at any 14 year olds on tsr, because no-one over that age "asks people out". They just get on with it.

"will you be my girlfriend? / will you go out with me? / would you like to go on a date?" said no adult ever.
Yeah sure :smile: I kinda asked my ex out. He said that he was into running and I said well Ive got a new pair of running shoes did he want to help me break them in and after that we became boyfriend and girlfriend. Couldn't have ended that well though if he is now my ex :wink:
Original post by cole-slaw
Presumably this question is aimed at any 14 year olds on tsr, because no-one over that age "asks people out". They just get on with it.

"will you be my girlfriend? / will you go out with me? / would you like to go on a date?" said no adult ever.

I believe the terms of the youth are, "facing" "meeting" casual and steady.

How are adults supposed to do it? :confused:
Rejected by saying he just wanted to be friends. Few months later he asked me. Had a horrible break up so it didn't work out that well but everyone agrees that he's an ass so if you're thinking about it, don't base it off everyone else's experiences. Go for it :smile:
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I believe the terms of the youth are, "facing" "meeting" casual and steady.

How are adults supposed to do it? :confused:

Just hang out, have fun, and ****. After a while, you have "the chat".

You certainly don't go on "dates". This isn't an American sitcom.
Kinda. I'd been seeing my ex for a month or so when I drunkenly phoned him and asked if he would be my boyfriend.. I think he said no but jokingly, because he wanted to ask me himself when I was sober! (terrible decision anyway, don't know what I was thinking!)
Original post by kopi, ffs
Several times... Always rejected.

:nothing: It's a strengthening experience...

:console:
Original post by SirMasterKey
:console:

Ikr, so much sadness. After plenty of counselling and self-help books, I managed to get back on my feet.

..erm.. What?
Mhm, rejected because he wanted to 'just be friends'. :sadnod:

Me and my current partner just sorta drifted into our relationship... I asked him, after we'd been seeing one another a few months, if things were 'official', but no-one ever actually said 'will you be my boyfriend / girlfriend?' haha.

Different people do it in different ways. Some do it more organically like you say, others prefer the structure of going out and getting to know people in short, structured bursts. I've noticed that busy young professional singles prefer dates as they're usually workaholics and don't have time to hang out casually. :tongue: (Yeah I know, no fun eh?)
I've been "asked out" twice, but had to say "no" on both occasions, unfortunately. It was nothing personal against the girls in question; I just wanted to be single at the time. I stayed "just friends" with one of them though, and to this day (7 years later) she's one of the best friends I've ever had, so I think that worked out pretty well.

I don't know how it is for girls, but for me it was a bit of a startling experience. I'm completely okay with girls making the first move (because I'm one of those shy guys!) but I don't really like being unexpectedly "asked out". It seems to imply a certain level of commitment, when I've never even considered having a relationship with that person, and I'm being expected to make that decision and give an answer within a couple of seconds. Plus, if the answer's going to be "no", I have to quickly think of a way to do it without offending her, helping her save face etc.

I think it's much better to just suggest doing something together one day - lunch, cinema, coffee, whatever - and letting it develop gradually from there. And then when someone eventually talks about making it "official", it'd be much less of a surprise.
(edited 9 years ago)
No...its weird and stupid and more weird and more stupid and...It goes on and on! :biggrin:

Quick Reply