The Student Room Group

PGCE Maths Secondary: Avoiding Rejection in Apply

I wasn't able to obtain a place at any of my choices in Apply 1 for Maths Secondary. In trying to avoid 5 rejections on the bounce, I would love advice on Universities that will actually accept my application and give me an interview based on my situation. I studied Economics some 20 years ago and degree has less than 50% Maths content. I believed this has not been in my favour with some institutions and I want quality advice from TSR members on universities/Training institutions I can apply to to increase my chances of a place.
Original post by KennyOye
I wasn't able to obtain a place at any of my choices in Apply 1 for Maths Secondary. In trying to avoid 5 rejections on the bounce, I would love advice on Universities that will actually accept my application and give me an interview based on my situation. I studied Economics some 20 years ago and degree has less than 50% Maths content. I believed this has not been in my favour with some institutions and I want quality advice from TSR members on universities/Training institutions I can apply to to increase my chances of a place.

I think there must be more to it than this. If I'm wrong and the rest of your application is strong you should apply to an institution that offers Subject Knowledge Enhancement.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
I think there must be more to it than this. If I'm wrong and the rest of your application is strong you should apply to an institution that offers Subject Knowledge Enhancement.

What more do you think could have stood in my way? I had a 2:1 that was verified by NARIC to be equivalent to a UK qualification. I spent a day in a secondary school to obtain subject knowledge and a week in a primary school. My personal statement may have been the only obstacle then.
Afaik they like you to spend 1 week minimum in a secondary school for secondary pgce. That's classed as school experience, not subject knowledge.

Tbh you could have asked at the time for feedback on why you weren't successful, this would have given you chance to make a polished application this cycle.
What more do you think could have stood in my way? I had a 2:1 that was verified by NARIC to be equivalent to a UK qualification. I spent a day in a secondary school to obtain subject knowledge and a week in a primary school. My personal statement may have been the only obstacle then.

It is possible your personal statement might contain a number of oddities such as thinking school experience is related to subject knowledge. I'd definitely recommend more experience in the correct phase as one day is unusually low.
You definitely need more experience in a secondary school Maths department. If you get as much experience as possible then you will know if teaching secondary Maths is for you, and it will also give you more to talk about in your personal statement.
Reply 6
A BIG thank you to all contributors.
The unanimous conclusion is that I get more days in a school for the sake of experience. My issue with this was that when I applied to the School Experience Programme and was introduced to a Secondary school, the school only allowed me a day to come over and observe teachers. I requested for more days but was declined. I sent out several letters to school around me but I didn't get any reply. Please does anyone knows how to approach this so as to get the requisite one week school experience?
A BIG thank you to all contributors.
The unanimous conclusion is that I get more days in a school for the sake of experience. My issue with this was that when I applied to the School Experience Programme and was introduced to a Secondary school, the school only allowed me a day to come over and observe teachers. I requested for more days but was declined. I sent out several letters to school around me but I didn't get any reply. Please does anyone knows how to approach this so as to get the requisite one week school experience?

That's a shame. The SEP is usually a good way to get into a school. The purpose of the first day is to agree a series of other visit days. The school does not get paid if you do not attend the additional days. Did something happen at the introductory day that put them off?

You can try letters to local secondary schools again. If you can address them personally to the Head of Maths (their name will usually be on the school website) do so as they will have more chance of getting to the right person. Otherwise address your letter to the Headteacher by name. Follow the letter up with a telephone call a few days later. Phone at lunchtime or straight after school (check the timings of the school day on the website).
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
That's a shame. The SEP is usually a good way to get into a school. The purpose of the first day is to agree a series of other visit days. The school does not get paid if you do not attend the additional days. Did something happen at the introductory day that put them off?

You can try letters to local secondary schools again. If you can address them personally to the Head of Maths (their name will usually be on the school website) do so as they will have more chance of getting to the right person. Otherwise address your letter to the Headteacher by name. Follow the letter up with a telephone call a few days later. Phone at lunchtime or straight after school (check the timings of the school day on the website).

Hi Mr M,
Nothing bad happened at the intro. The co-ordination explained that they have exams coming up and that won't allow me the opportunity to observe Maths classes. I'll try the option you mentioned and post my feedback here. Tx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending