The Student Room Group

Morning-After Pill

I'm 17 years old and a virgin. There's this guy who I've been dating, and we both like each other. I think we will end up having sex pretty soon, and I want to be ready for it.

As I don't take the Pill anyway, I would have to take the morning-after pill.

I've researched which morning-after pills require a GP prescription, and which ones you can buy over-the-counter. I know I can buy Levonelle One-Step over the counter.

Is it as simple as this: I walk into Boots, go to the Pharmacist, request Levonelle One-Step, and then buy it? (like one does with cigarettes?) lol.

Please forgive me for sounding so naiive, but I have no idea about these things; I'm absolutely gormless! I'm too embarrassed to ask my friends.

Would be happy for someone to not judge or make a sarcastic comment please, but just some sound advice!

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17 years old and a virgin. There's this guy who I've been dating, and we both like each other. I think we will end up having sex pretty soon, and I want to be ready for it.

I've researched which morning-after pills require a GP prescription, and which ones you can buy over-the-counter. I know I can buy Levonelle One-Step over the counter.

Is it as simple as this: I walk into Boots, go to the Pharmacist, request Levonelle One-Step, and then buy it? (like one does with cigarettes?) lol.

Please forgive me for sounding so naiive, but I have no idea about these things; I'm absolutely gormless! I'm too embarrassed to ask my friends.

Would be happy for someone to not judge or make a sarcastic comment please, but just some sound advice!

Thanks

Hey - please don't rely on the morning after pill. This should only be taken in emergencies or in case of accidents like condoms splitting, etc. You can make an appointment with your GP or Sexual Health Clinic to get the contraceptive pill - it's easy and shouldn't be any hassle. :smile: Also, the contraceptive pill is free, whereas emergency contraception is really expensive!!

You need to use condoms to protect yourself and your partner against STIs, and you should both go for a check up to make sure that you're okay before you have sex without a condom. :smile: You shouldn't have sex without a condom unless you're in a monogamous relationship, and once you're sexually active you need to go for regular check ups. :smile:

Thanks

Brook has a handy tool to help you decide which contraception will be best for your situation. My Contraception tool It is highly likely that there will be a sexual health clinic or a brook clinic in your area for under 25s. Many of them have walk ins. I highly recommend you go to one of these with your partner to discuss your options. The nurses and doctors who run this are trained in contraception and sexual health and will be able to advise you well and put you at ease.

If you know you're likely to be having sex in the near future, think about contraception now and involve your partner. The pill is not your only option and contraception is a joint responsibility. Seriously, talk to your partner. If you don't feel able to talk to your partner about contraception, you need to seriously think again about whether you're ready to be having sex with this person, or at all just yet.

There are lots of contraceptive options. Not just pills/morning after pills. Condoms are a good option when you first start having sex with someone new as they protect from STIs too Do your research and make an educated decision about whats going to be right for you, your relationship, your body. Also make sure you understand fully how your body works. I'm not saying this to be patronising, but because a hell of a lot of women have no idea how their menstrual cycle works, and how various forms of contraception can affect that. You have the internet available, there is no excuse to not educate yourself

Relying on the morning after pill as your main form of contraception is NOT a good idea at all. It is called emergency contraception for a reason, as Puddles said, its for when you forget to take a pill or a condom splits or you make a stupid one off mistake of not using contraception.

Thanks

Have him use a condom instead. Ensure that he is okay with using one before having sex with him. If he says he doesn’t want to use a condom, do not have sex with him. It is 98% effective in protecting against both pregnancy and STIs. It isn’t necessary to use both a contraceptive and a condom.

Sorry if this information is patronising, I don’t know how much you know. Most female contraception suppress the body’s natural cycles and dysregulates a woman’s hormones, stopping her from having periods. This is not natural and can be very harmful to a woman’s health. For example, hormones influence our mood, so female contraceptives may cause anxiety or depression. Some evidence suggests that it increases the risk of certain types of cancer. Aside from pregnancy, the female contraceptive methods you mentioned also don’t protect against STIs (whereas the condom does).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by charlottelyra
Have him use a condom instead. Ensure that he is okay with using one before having sex with him. If he says he doesn’t want to use a condom, do not have sex with him. It is 98% effective in protecting against both pregnancy and STIs. It isn’t necessary to use both a contraceptive and a condom.

Sorry if this information is patronising, I don’t know how much you know. Most female contraception suppress the body’s natural cycles and dysregulates a woman’s hormones, stopping her from having periods. This is not natural and can be very harmful to a woman’s health. For example, hormones influence our mood, so female contraceptives may cause anxiety or depression. Some evidence suggests that it increases the risk of certain types of cancer. Aside from pregnancy, the female contraceptive methods you mentioned also don’t protect against STIs (whereas the condom does).

She probably knows a fair bit as this happened 6 years ago... nevermind your comment, in the unlikely event they reads it, is extremely patronising. Not to mention medically dubious.
Thread is now closed as it is 6 years old :smile:

Latest