The Student Room Group

I think I want to speak to a doctor about my eating habits, what to say?

For a while now I've been a bit worried about my eating habits. I'm obsessed with calories, weigh all my food etc, am obsessed with being a certain weight- but also the thing causing me the most concern is that I go through phases where 2-3 times a week I will binge. Like, absolutely mental amounts of calories will be consumed. An example, today I ate in a binge: a big chicken mayo and bacon baguette, a tub of ben and jerry's ice cream, a banana loaf and four bowls of cereal. Obviously this is a ridiculous amount of calories for a 5'5 girl who weighs 55kg. I think I've been restricting my intake so much that my survival instinct has kicked in. I can't remember the last time I went more than a week and half without binging, but there are times when they happen a lot more often than others. I always try and compensate my doing a lot of cardio, restricting calories and I am now attempting to make myself sick after every binge too (although I have never been fully successful).

Does this behaviour sound serious enough to warrant a doctor's appointment or will I be laughed out the place? I just want this silliness to stop and to be happy and healthy because it's getting to the point where I feel like food is controlling my life.
Hi it does sound as though you could be starting some sort of eating disorder but it's good that you recognise this. Your doctor will take you seriously and won't laugh. You should discuss this with someone you trust , if not your own GP. It sounds as though your eating habits are something that you can control - perhaps other aspects of your life are out of your control? If you are on here, I guess you are a student - you don't want this to affect your studies and your future, so tackle it now and Good Luck x
Reply 2
No one will laugh at you. It doesn't sound quite right to me. :frown: Have you tried coming up with a week of food which is considered a normal amount and sticking to that and see how it goes?
Reply 3
Original post by 8472
No one will laugh at you. It doesn't sound quite right to me. :frown: Have you tried coming up with a week of food which is considered a normal amount and sticking to that and see how it goes?

I write meal plans for every day, but when the urge to binge hits I literally feel helpless. I feel like there is someone else controlling me and I am powerless to it.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I write meal plans for every day, but when the urge to binge hits I literally feel helpless. I feel like there is someone else controlling me and I am powerless to it.

Have you tried eating a little more but spread throughout the day? Is there anything which happened or started to happen around the time this started?
Reply 5
If you're restricting your intake, that's exactly why you're binging. Try increasing your intake to 2000+ calories a day, and stick to it, and once your body begins to repair itself the binge urges should pass.
But definitely speak to a doctor- it sounds like you have, or are developing a problem and it's better to seek treatment now than wait until you get worse/sucked further into disordered eating! Writing a list of your symptoms to bring with you is helpful to make sure you mention everything. Good luck! xx
Reply 6
Original post by 8472
Have you tried eating a little more but spread throughout the day? Is there anything which happened or started to happen around the time this started?

I am currently trying to lose weight so while I can increase my calories slightly throughout the day, I am trying to create a defecit in my calories so am never eating what my body truly wants- do you think if I were to give up the weightloss thing and eat at my maintenance level it might stop the urges to binge so much?

I've always had bad body image and a negative relationship with weight and food, but I never truly binged until about 3-4 months into my weightloss. I overate at times, sure, but never to the same extent.
Reply 7
Original post by falling
If you're restricting your intake, that's exactly why you're binging. Try increasing your intake to 2000+ calories a day, and stick to it, and once your body begins to repair itself the binge urges should pass.
But definitely speak to a doctor- it sounds like you have, or are developing a problem and it's better to seek treatment now than wait until you get worse/sucked further into disordered eating! Writing a list of your symptoms to bring with you is helpful to make sure you mention everything. Good luck! xx

Thank you very much, very helpful. I am a healthy weight for my height and can rationally see I do not need to lose any more, but infact it may result in weight gain in the long run if I carry on restricting
Reply 8
Hi,

It sounds like a good idea to see your GP- s/he might diagnose you with EDNOS (Eating disorder, not otherwise specified) or might refer you on to another service for an assessment/support.

You have a BMI of about 19, which by some definitions is considered underweight so it might be that your binges are just a way of your body getting the nutrients it needs.

I've found my binge-eating has improved by doing structured eating- so I eat only at set meal and snack times most of the time i.e.:
10am Breakfast
1pm Lunch (aim for bulky foods like vegetable soups, wholemeal bread)
3.30pm Snack (e.g. piece of fruit/ low calorie yoghurt/biscuit)
7pm Dinner
9pm Small dessert (e.g. low cal chocolate mouse/ scoop of ice cream)
(If necessary can add late night snack of 100 cals)

Most meals should include one small portion of protein for satiety/fullness, one portion of carbs (e.g. a slice of wholemeal bread, a handful of pasta, a few tablespoons of couscous/rice) and a big half-plate portion of vegetables or a side of veg soup/salad.

I think that if you're trying to lose weight despite a low BMI and your eating habits are dysfunctional then your GP is very likely to want to help you :smile:
Reply 9
This is classic disordered eating for those at risk of developing an ED. Please speak to your GP soon.

In the meantime this is a great support thread if you are ever struggling

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1605712

good luck, drop me a line if you are struggling and I will tell you my new account username :hugs:
Thanks for your support everyone, I have now booked an appointment so see my doctor a week today. Now I need to decide exactly what I am going to say- do I talk about the restriction/ obsession with my weight or purely about the binge eating? I feel like no one is going to take me seriously either way, given that I'm a healthy weight.
Reply 11
Explain everything. That way you can get the best help for you. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your support everyone, I have now booked an appointment so see my doctor a week today. Now I need to decide exactly what I am going to say- do I talk about the restriction/ obsession with my weight or purely about the binge eating? I feel like no one is going to take me seriously either way, given that I'm a healthy weight.

Definitely mention everything- the restriction is most likely causing the binging, and your habits are definitely disordered so your doctor will get a better picture of what's going on and how to help you (like referring you to an ED service for example) if you give them the full picture. Hope it goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest