The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should women have to pay for their sanitary products?

The average British woman spends over £3000 on sanitary products in her life - enough to buy a car! Why are nicotine patches and condoms free, when smoking and having sex are choices and being a woman is not??

I'm not proposing the nationalisation of all sanitary product companies, but shouldn't there at least be a free alternative to women who can't afford to spend £6 every period? We can't help having them!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because nicotine patches and condoms benefit your health and sanitary products don't. They're free to encourage you to use them, I do understand what you're saying though and it would be so much better if our products were free :smile:
Reply 2
nicotine patches and condoms provide a cost benefit to society as they reduce unwanted pregnancies and smocking related illnesses, sanitary products do not. By your logic food and water should also be free as i don't chose to need them

however i do understand where youre coming from
I quite like having the choice of what I want to use, and realistically supermarkets and chemists cater to all budgets. Maybe if the NHS wasn't already stretched to breaking point, but there are far more important services that are already struggling to maintain.
Things that appear to be free have to be paid for somehow. The real issue is whether these products ought to be taxed; I don't think they should.
The government subsidising a product which can only benefit half the population is never going to go down well.
I don't think condoms and nicotine patches were a good comparison! Instead, medical products and medications etc. are free in the UK. Sanitary products are definitely hygienic and would (possibly?) reduce infection and disease. I think they should be free - it's not a realistic choice not to where sanitary products and to just, you know, bleed. Same with incontinence products - they should be free.
I wish food and water were free too, since I need those to live :moon:
Original post by susiehunt
x

By the same logic, toilet paper should also be free because ****ting is not an option either. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
We can't help having to eat, drink, or **** either, but we still have to pay for that.

Grow up, you are exposing feminism for what it's becoming, but what it should not be, a free lunch for women.

Some women in the developing world don't even have access to sanitary products.
Reply 10
£3000 over a lifetime is really not that much. With an average lifetime of 85 years, minus about 12 years for puberty, that works out to around three pounds per month.
Watered down communism :biggrin:
To anyone wondering about how to comprehend this debate, I'll sum it up thus:

"Wah wah wah, I want free ****, wah wah wah."
Such a pathetic thread you made it twice....

We can't help having to eat, drink, or **** either, but we still have to pay for that.

Grow up, you are exposing feminism for what it's becoming, but what it should not be, a free lunch for women.

They're VAT free thanks to Gordon Brown lol, I think that much is reasonable. But giving them away? Nah. :biggrin:
Original post by mikeyd85
The government subsidising a product which can only benefit half the population is never going to go down well.

So what your saying is that men are immature whiny babies that will throw their toys out the pram?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So what your saying is that men are immature whiny babies that will throw their toys out the pram?

You think it will be universally accepted?

The media would have a field day.
Politicians would have a field day.

Quite frankly, I can't be arsed with that. It'd be another thing that would get massively over-hyped for a month and then everyone would forget about it.
An interesting thought, but obvious flaws. Will think this one over and get back to you :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Huskaris

You obviously didn't read the whole article. At least be informed before you condemn.
Original post by susiehunt
You obviously didn't read the whole article. At least be informed before you condemn.

I read the whole article, but I completely disagree with it. There are costs men meet that women won't have to in a lifetime. We need approximately 20% more food than women do, over a lifetime, more than £3k.

On top of that, the extra money men will spend on things like dates, meals, drinks for women etc.

Just chalk it down to being a fact of life, like men do when they buy you a drink, and move on with your life.

As for calling me uninformed, you are retarded, I'm sorry, but if you think you should get a handout just because you are a woman, you are an idiot.

I DEMAND A 20% REDUCTION IN THE PRICE OF FOOD FOR MEN IN ORDER TO END THIS INEQUALITY.

Latest