The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

American Student: Do I have a chance at Edinburgh?

Hi everyone! I am a senior (4th year) at an American High School. I'm applying to four schools in the UK and would like to know if anyone with experience can tell me if I have a chance at being accepted.

My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.6 (low I know, math is a killer)
SAT: 800 Reading, 600 Math, 640 Writing (1400 on 1600 scale, 2040 on 2400 scale)
ACT: 31 Composite
APs: 4 on American History; 4 English Language and Composition; 4 US Government. I will be taking European History, English Literature, and Spanish Language this year. I am projected to get 4s and 5s on those tests as well.

Extra Curricular: Environmental Endeavors, Spanish Honor Society, Spanish Club (Vice-president), International Relations Club, violin (private lessons, orchestra, music festivals), varisty tennis captain, Mandarin Chinese lessons

I am wanting to study International Relations or Political Science. I have a global background and speak four languages. My guidance counselor has never had a student want to study in the UK before, so I am on my own when it comes to applying. I just would like to know if I have even a remote shot of being accepted to a uni overseas (even if it is just a conditional offer). My top choice is Edinburgh, I visited the campus and fell in love with the city and the uni. So my main question is: do I have any chance of being accepted to Edinburgh?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

prolly, endiburugh is no cambridge and noone cares about ECs in england other than oxbridge.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
This is from 2013 but it says at the bottom in fine print that Edinburgh will accept any international student that meets the minimum requirements.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.135305!/fileManager/Final%202013%20for%20web.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yourgirlbribri
This is from 2013 but it says at the bottom in fine print that Edinburgh will accept any international student that meets the minimum requirements.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.135305!/fileManager/Final%202013%20for%20web.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I was just looking at that page but I didn't even notice that! Thanks so much! That makes me feel better...of course I won't get complacent but I've met the requirements so I feel more confident. :smile:
Original post by nellybelly29
Hi everyone! I am a senior (4th year) at an American High School. I'm applying to four schools in the UK and would like to know if anyone with experience can tell me if I have a chance at being accepted.

My stats are as follows:

SAT: 800 Reading, 600 Math, 640 Writing (1400 on 1600 scale, 2040 on 2400 scale)
APs: 4 on American History; 4 English Language and Composition; 4 US Government. I will be taking European History, English Literature, and Spanish Language this year. I am projected to get 4s and 5s on those tests as well.

Extra Curricular: Environmental Endeavors, Spanish Honor Society, Spanish Club (Vice-president), International Relations Club, violin (private lessons, orchestra, music festivals), varisty tennis captain, Mandarin Chinese lessons

I am wanting to study International Relations or Political Science. I have a global background and speak four languages. My guidance counselor has never had a student want to study in the UK before, so I am on my own when it comes to applying. I just would like to know if I have even a remote shot of being accepted to a uni overseas (even if it is just a conditional offer). My top choice is Edinburgh, I visited the campus and fell in love with the city and the uni. So my main question is: do I have any chance of being accepted to Edinburgh?

Thanks!

You'll probably get in, IR at Edinburgh is pretty competitive so I wouldn't say your chances are guaranteed though.
Reply 5
Idk about Edinburgh but I'm an American applying to Oxford, LSE and KINGS for a mix of gov/politics/IR and I have some bad news. All 3 want APs, and by that I mean 5's. Maybe predicted grades will help, but LSE wants 5 scores of 5 from Americans and Kings wants 3 scores of 5. There are other aspects to the application so don't feel downtrodden. I wish you the best of luck, contact me with any questions I've already submitted and am an American who has gotten help from many British peers on the application process.
Original post by derek15
Idk about Edinburgh but I'm an American applying to Oxford, LSE and KINGS for a mix of gov/politics/IR and I have some bad news. All 3 want APs, and by that I mean 5's. Maybe predicted grades will help, but LSE wants 5 scores of 5 from Americans and Kings wants 3 scores of 5. There are other aspects to the application so don't feel downtrodden. I wish you the best of luck, contact me with any questions I've already submitted and am an American who has gotten help from many British peers on the application process.

I know British schools rely heavily on APs, I've done extensive research. But my top schools is Edinburgh and I have the scores they ask for, so I'm hoping. Best of luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

My stats are as follows:

Thanks!

I got an offer today, american student! Pretty much same stats. 32 ACT and 1950 SAT. 3.8 GPA UW and 4.2 GPA W.
3,3,3,4,5 ap scores
Basically same ECs too, spanish club president, honors stuff. Have great volunteer stuff. But, one thing unique is my work experience that is incredibly applicable to my major. So that definitely helped.
Conditional offer that requires a 4 on Calc AB.
Majoring in computer science.

You definitely have a good chance. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dster77
I got an offer today, american student! Pretty much same stats. 32 ACT and 1950 SAT. 3.8 GPA UW and 4.2 GPA W.
3,3,3,4,5 ap scores
Basically same ECs too, spanish club president, honors stuff. Have great volunteer stuff. But, one thing unique is my work experience that is incredibly applicable to my major. So that definitely helped.

When did you submit your application? I'm also American.
Reply 9
Original post by kurofune
When did you submit your application? I'm also American.

September 25
Original post by Dster77
September 25

I sent mine a bit afterwards. Anyways, congratulations! The Times Higher Education rankings put Edinburgh within the top 40 universities of the world. Enjoy your senior year!
Original post by Dster77
3,3,3,4,5 ap scores

Congrats on your offer!! That's great! Thanks for the reply...since we have similar stats I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I submitted the 29th so I hope an offer comes soon.

Did you apply anywhere else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sent mine a bit afterwards. Anyways, congratulations! The Times Higher Education rankings put Edinburgh within the top 40 universities of the world. Enjoy your senior year!

What are you applying for? And what schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you applying for? And what schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for Politics, Economic & Social History at Edinburgh, Econ History @ LSE, and PPE @ Oxford, UCL, and KCL.
I'm applying for Politics, Economic & Social History at Edinburgh, Econ History @ LSE, and PPE @ Oxford, UCL, and KCL.

Ahh, good luck! I didn't even try to apply to Oxbridge, I knew I didn't have the AP scores for it. Good luck on your apps! Did you find it hard to write a PS on so many subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh, good luck! I didn't even try to apply to Oxbridge, I knew I didn't have the AP scores for it. Good luck on your apps! Did you find it hard to write a PS on so many subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't too bad. They're pretty connected because they deal with multidisciplinary aspects-especially history and social phenomena. Finding specific examples I was interested in took a while, because I had to make sure it met with all the unis, but talking about how economics influence politics and vice versa, and using historical examples is definitely possible!
Good luck! I'm from the US and came over to the UK for postgrad, which is always an option for you if undergrad in the UK doesn't work out (and if it does, you can always stay!).

:smile:
It wasn't too bad. They're pretty connected because they deal with multidisciplinary aspects-especially history and social phenomena. Finding specific examples I was interested in took a while, because I had to make sure it met with all the unis, but talking about how economics influence politics and vice versa, and using historical examples is definitely possible!

I can see how that would work!
Reply 18
Congrats on your offer!! That's great! Thanks for the reply...since we have similar stats I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I submitted the 29th so I hope an offer comes soon.

Did you apply anywhere else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, Manchester, York, St. Andrews and cambridge. Responded as unconditional from St. Andrews, conditional from edinburgh and York. York offer was pretty stiff. Just waiting for cam and Manchester.
Original post by Dster77
Yes, Manchester, York, St. Andrews and cambridge. Responded as unconditional from St. Andrews, conditional from edinburgh and York. York offer was pretty stiff. Just waiting for cam and Manchester.

Had you already sent your ACT/SAT/AP scores when you send your UCAS, or did you self report? Good luck for Manchester and Cambridge! Good schools!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending