The Student Room Group

Most overpaid profession...

We had underpaid yesterday. Who do you think earns too much?

I'll go with members of parliament.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not a profession, but a class of people: Hipsters. I've never met one with a discernable talent or skill, but a lot of them seem to be raking it in.

MPs - not really. 600 of them run the country. Some head teachers earn more than the Prime Minister.

Footballers - they're in the entertainment industry like actors and singers. I'd say you need a lot more hard work and talent to be Wayne Rooney than Orlando Bloom.
Tube drivers. Their salaries are not determined by supply and demand, but are artificially increased by them going on strike all the time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Doctors, Pharmacists, Some Lawyers, Dentists

People who deserve a rise:
Wayne Rooney
Original post by Clip
Not a profession, but a class of people: Hipsters. I've never met one with a discernable talent or skill, but a lot of them seem to be raking it in.

MPs - not really. 600 of them run the country. Some head teachers earn more than the Prime Minister.

Footballers - they're in the entertainment industry like actors and singers. I'd say you need a lot more hard work and talent to be Wayne Rooney than Orlando Bloom.

What does a hipster do!?
Few mates are management consultants, I've yet to work out what they actually do and their bosses are minting it.

Lawyers from a business perspective are a cost not a benefit, and an expensive one at that.
Reply 6
Bankers.
Reply 7
Original post by Bill_Gates
What does a hipster do!?

It's quite niche, you probably haven't heard of it :wink:
No-one in the private sector can be said to be overpaid since their salaries are determined by supply and demand.

People who say footballers should earn the same wage as soldiers or nurses make me want to bash my head against the table.
Original post by Arkasia
Bankers.

I think Bankers are underpaid. The work isn't easy and they work tremendous hours. So they're on like average pay for the hours they work (at base salary).

For those of us climbing to the top of the food chain, there can be no mercy. There is but one rue: Hunt or be hunged. After all we are nothing more or less than what we choose to reveal.
Bus drivers
Original post by mrkidd85
We had underpaid yesterday. Who do you think earns too much?

I'll go with members of parliament.

I'll go with tube train drivers. You don't need someone to sit there, you can just automate that train like DLR.
Original post by jenigma
Yes. How dare they earn more than 22 people kicking a spherical object up and down a field for no reason whatsoever when all they do is shoot stuff?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dat ignorance. You can apply that simplistic description to any mainstream sport. Golf, rugby, tennis, darts (:lol:), American football etc.
Original post by h3isenberg
Dat ignorance. You can apply that simplistic description to any mainstream sport. Golf, rugby, tennis, darts (:lol:), American football etc.

True! Golf is just the worst. What even is it

Anyone who says darts is a sport needs to stop collaborate and listen :lol:
It's just competitive, doesn't make it a sport
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Hydroxy
Footballers irrefutably win hands down.

Just finishing that reply off for ya...

</thread>
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
No-one in the private sector can be said to be overpaid since their salaries are determined by supply and demand.

Yes, all those C-level execs that sit on each other's remuneration committees voting in pay rises all round - exactly supply and demand. I'm so glad that free market economics works in the real world.
Original post by Le Nombre
Few mates are management consultants, I've yet to work out what they actually do and their bosses are minting it.

Lawyers from a business perspective are a cost not a benefit, and an expensive one at that.

I know a guy who sold his management consultancy firm for £10m and I asked him what management consultants actually do.

He thought about it for a few seconds, before saying, "good point".
Original post by Anonynous
I think Bankers are underpaid. The work isn't easy and they work tremendous hours. So they're on like average pay for the hours they work (at base salary).

For those of us climbing to the top of the food chain, there can be no mercy. There is but one rue: Hunt or be hunged. After all we are nothing more or less than what we choose to reveal.

What do these high paid bankers actually do?
Original post by tengentoppa
People who say footballers should earn the same wage as soldiers or nurses make me want to bash my head against the table.

It's incredible that people still use this argument.

The only problem I have with footballers being paid high salaries is that it results in most clubs having a wage bill that is far too high in proportion to their turnover. QPR's wage bill is 126% of their turnover, while Fulham's is 92%; these figures have to be a recipe for disaster.
Original post by Anonynous

How are they underpaid. They are the corrupt, scummy cancers that cling on to any democracy and feed themselves like the parasitic, greedy subhumans that they are. Most jobs have work that 'isn't easy' and many jobs have people working 'tremendous hours'. The difference here is that the higher up bankers get, the larger their base salary, and the larger their bonuses, padding their wallets out by exploiting a financial system.

'Hunt or be hunted' no longer applies in civilized society. We have found a means to cope with nature, and we have found a way to co-exist by co-operation, building this on trust and promises (unlike many countries). This 'no mercy' attitude is why scientific studies have shown that bankers are the profession that has the highest average tendency for the person to have psychopathic tendencies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending