The Student Room Group

How to get back in touch with a guy I haven't spoken to in 8 years?

In primary school I was quite good friends with this guy but then I went to a different secondary school (one in a city 45 mintues away from the town that their secondary school was in and our primary school) from the rest of my primary school friends and never saw him again. A few years after this happened I added him on facebook and recently I found out that he is going to university in the same city I am in (I'm on a gap year). I really want to get back in touch with him because he was a really lovely person in primary school (but I do realise that people change) and I just think it will be nice.

Obviously I can only contact him on facbook and he doesn't pop up much on facebook chat, so it would have to be a private message. But what do I say? Should I just say hi or pretend I've been frapped?

Please help! :P
Anon because I know people on here :wink:
Reply 1
bump
I really don't see why you'd need to pretend you were fraped? :lolwut:

To be fair, I think you're overcomplicating a simple Facebook message unnecessarily by overthinking it. Just say hello, ask how things have been etc. If he doesn't respond or responds negatively, does it really matter anyway? If he responds nicely and you get along - well, great!
Original post by Freudian Slip

To be fair, I think you're overcomplicating a simple Facebook message unnecessarily by overthinking it. Just say hello, ask how things have been etc. If he doesn't respond or responds negatively, does it really matter anyway? If he responds nicely and you get along - well, great!

Definitely overthinking it. Just be honest and direct, say hi I remember you from school and was wondering how you're doing. It's that simple.
Reply 4

Original post by black_mamba
Definitely overthinking it. Just be honest and direct, say hi I remember you from school and was wondering how you're doing. It's that simple.

Yeah I think you are both right. I do tend to overthink things :P I'm just worried because it will be a bit out of the blue and might be a bit weird. I mean how would you guys react if a girl from your primary school randomly messaged you asking how you were?
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I think you are both right. I do tend to overthink things :P I'm just worried because it will be a bit out of the blue and might be a bit weird. I mean how would you guys react if a girl from your primary school randomly messaged you asking how you were?

It's happened and I just responded to them, telling them what I'd been up to! :grin:
Original post by Anonymous

I used to overthink things a lot too. But then I started thinking like this: how he reacts is totally out of your control. As long as you're polite, and not overly familiar (i.e. pretending you used to be best mates or something equally as silly) then you're presenting the best of yourself. How he reacts is a reflection of him and not you.

So if for example if he finds it weird and doesn't respond - it doesn't matter because he was so closed minded that a polite message from a potential friend weirded him out. You were never meant to be friends and you found out early (which is a good thing by the way). If he reacts positively, then that's a good thing too. You've got nothing to lose. :smile:

Edit: sorry I reread your original post and you did say you were already friends with him at some point, so it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to be a little familiar.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
It's happened and I just responded to them, telling them what I'd been up to! :grin:

Original post by black_mamba
I used to overthink things a lot too. But then I started thinking like this: how he reacts is totally out of your control. As long as you're polite, and not overly familiar (i.e. pretending you used to be best mates or something equally as silly) then you're presenting the best of yourself. How he reacts is a reflection of him and not you.

So if for example if he finds it weird and doesn't respond - it doesn't matter because he was so closed minded that a polite message from a potential friend weirded him out. You were never meant to be friends and you found out early (which is a good thing by the way). If he reacts positively, then that's a good thing too. You've got nothing to lose. :smile:

Edit: sorry I reread your original post and you did say you were already friends with him at some point, so it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to be a little familiar.

I think I'm nervous because I haven't spoken to him in so long and to be honest I have a little crush on him :colondollar: but I will definitely take your guys advice. Thanks for your help and hopefully it will turn out for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending