The Student Room Group

CAS --> what are ur activities?

So far I did my CAS by: joining (well actually, pioneering) Red Cross Youth in my school, taking violin classes, tutoring English in a small village, Charity Club, Photography Club, visiting an orphanage and the "house of old" (not sure what they're called in Eng... the senile house, maybe?), coaching kids in a local swimming pool, helping the drama students painting their bg set, decorating the school gym for Xmas, and selling cheap 2nd-hand clothes n food to villagers.

About 170 hours so far. My school wants us to have 200+

What do you guys have for CAS? Maybe I can get some ideas from you. I think I have enough for C and S, though. Does Action always have to be sports-related?

And would you know if your hours are docked by the IBO?

Scroll to see replies

lol your school is dumb u only need 150 and u won't get more pionts for having more. old peoples home, home of the elderly i spose something like that anyway

Service: oxfam 200+ hours
Creativity: saxophone and piano / chinese lessons +90
Action: football +50

ooh i have lots of hours
:biggrin:
Reply 2
i did a did a translation of a guide to teacher of mentalling challenged students from english into russian. it counted for 50 hours, creativity and service: half/half. i also participated in maths competitions - also creativity. swimming for activity. and all sort of little things for service. action was my most difficult one coz i don't like doing sports. and service was my easiest. and the one i enjoyed the most.
my friend joined a community theatre group that got her 400+ hours creativity hours. I was in the school choir, I helped out with staging and backstage at school drama productions (both C and S). My school sets up a regular session where all CAS students go to an orphanage nearby to play with the kids every week. It got everyone their S hours without doing any extra on their own. I was in the Student Council and hours spent on council stuff was counted as S hours.

Action is more often than not sport-related. I always round up my hours though. lol. anyway, join a sports team. or do something like help someone by doing something that involves action. Oh, I don't know. I volunteered to help push some people in wheelchairs in the Terry Fox Run in my city once and got a few hours off it. that could have counted for either action or service.
well i did collection of donations and planning for activities essentially. not completed yet lol.

i dont think IBO will dock points. but try to follow their guidelines i.e some activities really aren't acceptable.

I think as long as someone is willing to sign for u and isnt your peer, it should be creditable
Reply 5
Yeah I know we only need 150 hours, but my school wants 200+ just in case some activities appear to be unacceptable, we can still get enough... err, remnants :tongue:

Student Council? My school NEVER counts SC activities for CAS!!!
I learnt French for Action and the CAS coordinator finally decided it's not good for CAS. Oh bother..

What about field practise during Red Cross? Would that be counted as Action? Coz we did some evacuations and learnt practically how to pass obstacles and such.
Reply 6
french definately can't count for action, but i'd say that your red cross thingy can. then again, my friend did "walking" for her action (cas coordinator loved her). however, she forgot to mention "walking from bar to bar". and... she basically made up everything and still was able to get away with it... hmmmm...:cool:
french is creativity, we all got signed for learning chinese
CAS is not ALWAYS sent to IBO. you get credited for CAS if your CAS coordinator says you've completed it. but sometimes you records does get sent away if they ask for it. *learning* french can't really be CAS. because does it help anyone other than yourself? but teaching does>

and my school counts Student council as CAS because it's doing a service to the school and students of course. I mean, we're giving up our free time here!
Learning a new skill (MAYBE language) comes under creativity, according to the guide :biggrin:
it's learning a new skill but doesn't CAS have to benefit someone else other than yourself?? unless you say you're giving your teacher satisfaction of teaching you a language... :smile:
Reply 11
well for creativity i have taken up visual arts....very interesting...60+ hours, for action ..swimming...what a wonderful sport lol...i can jus be at the beach and voila! i get those hours...ofcourse my teacher thinks i REALLY do swim lol....:wink: ! and um for service- we hav this government school children comin to us weekly and we teach them stuff like how to read and write English.etc.
ow well school made stuff really easy for us and THANKS to dem i hav completed my CAS hours. Phew!
HMSChocolate
it's learning a new skill but doesn't CAS have to benefit someone else other than yourself?? unless you say you're giving your teacher satisfaction of teaching you a language... :smile:

Well, according to this then how does any type of sports activity under action benefit anyone else other than you? In that case then I don't think swimming or jogging should be valid activities for action either... at least for team sports you can say you're contributing to the team =\

I think learning a new language should be valid for creativity but I'm not 100% sure of this.
i am they sign if off at my school and they won't sign ne old crap lol i think it is and it would make sense i mean ur being creative...and thus the ambiguity of CAS, after creating TOK ud think the IBO would have learnt :p:
lol...I agree, andy cole. some CAS coordinator thinks this is CAS and some don't. my CASC didn't count individual swimming as CAS. but he counted participating in teh school swimming competition as CAS...but not hte *individual* training you do...go figure.
Scrabble...
Yes..
I played it yesterday.
Coordinator approved.

I won, by the way. Not by much though.

we're going to call it scrabble CLUB. Service. Sadly, the club is now full. 4 player maximum..."oops"
Reply 16
You know I think we can cheat on this CAS thing... my friend's bf, who took IB in Spore, said his school didn't really make them do CAS. Their activities were nearly all fake.

Already done 180. Phew. Still need 20 hours :rolleyes: Looking forward to finishing it before December.
Of course you cheat on CAS. You round up hours, add a few more hours here and there. make up a couple of activities and get someone to sign for you. :smile:
HMSChocolate

benefitting someone other than yourself is service. learning a new skill is creativity :smile:

LOL whos your bf?! i'm doing in singapore and i dont get to cheat :frown: at least i dont cheat. because it ultimately benefits and enriches ones experiences. (:
well, "cheating" is more along the line of making an activity that's 1h30 into a 2h activity, etc. that's what I do at least. and I include travel time!! haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending