The Student Room Group

Lecture clash?

So i'm studying creative writing and drama (this is offered as a joint by the uni) and my drama practical clashes with a creative writing module.
Both department have said it's the other persons fault and that we just have to pick which is more important.

So do i either miss my only hour of drama practical a week (the rest is all lecture) or stroll into my creative writing one an hour late?
Original post by Jackieox
So i'm studying creative writing and drama (this is offered as a joint by the uni) and my drama practical clashes with a creative writing module.
Both department have said it's the other persons fault and that we just have to pick which is more important.

So do i either miss my only hour of drama practical a week (the rest is all lecture) or stroll into my creative writing one an hour late?

What? Surely that can't be acceptable. Have you tried persuing that further with anyone, the SU perhaps? You can't be the only one doing the same thing either, ask others what they're planning on doing about it would also be a good shout.

If you are stuck with the issue, take a look at the assessment and marks for both modules and decide which is worth going to purely based on workload?
Reply 2
Classic case of joint honours departments not cooperating with each other...

I'd wager the practical is more worth it, as that's something once you've missed... you've missed it. If the creative writing is just a lecture type thing then you can get the notes afterwards.

Might be worth speaking to the creative writing lecturer
a) to tell them why you'll be walking in late all the time
b) any work to do before that lecture so you're not out of the loop during the second hour

This won't be the first time it's happened. Speak to the SU/council officers and push it as much as you can, although I doubt it will change anything this year.

That's terrible & absolutely not good enough! I would definitely contact the admissions department and ask them to review the timetable for both courses. You're paying enough, you shouldn't be getting advised to miss one of your classes. If they're not budging I'd seek support from the SU as Champagne Supernova has said - there should be a university advice and representation service.

You could also discuss the problem directly with one of our university reps if the university has one here on TSR?
Original post by Nymthae
Classic case of joint honours departments not cooperating with each other...

I'd wager the practical is more worth it, as that's something once you've missed... you've missed it. If the creative writing is just a lecture type thing then you can get the notes afterwards.

Might be worth speaking to the creative writing lecturer
a) to tell them why you'll be walking in late all the time
b) any work to do before that lecture so you're not out of the loop during the second hour

This won't be the first time it's happened. Speak to the SU/council officers and push it as much as you can, although I doubt it will change anything this year.

I think this is brilliant advice, solution-focused and essentially advising the OP to do everything in their power to not miss out on any learning and ultimately not play the "victim".

However, I still don't think the OP should have to proactively do this, bearing in mind the fees they are paying.
Reply 5
Original post by Champagne Supernova
You can't be the only one doing the same thing either, ask others what they're planning on doing about it would also be a good shout.

If you are stuck with the issue, take a look at the assessment and marks for both modules and decide which is worth going to purely based on workload?

There's only six of us doing both and everyone is currently making a decision as to which one to drop and just go to singles (even though that's not what we want to do)

Original post by She-Ra
That's terrible & absolutely not good enough! I would definitely contact the admissions department and ask them to review the timetable for both courses.

I went to admissions and they said it wasn't anything to do with them and that I should speak to my programme leader, both of whom I spoke to and they both said it was the other person's fault and they we need to choose which is more important at that time....

Thanks for the help though =)
There's only six of us doing both and everyone is currently making a decision as to which one to drop and just go to singles (even though that's not what we want to do)

I went to admissions and they said it wasn't anything to do with them and that I should speak to my programme leader, both of whom I spoke to and they both said it was the other person's fault and they we need to choose which is more important at that time....

Thanks for the help though =)

Speak to their manager/team leader until you get an answer. They need to cater for you guys too as that's your pathway.
At least it's not a seminar clash.

(Unless the lectures are compulsory, but usually they're not.)

I'd go to whichever one I'd feel like going to then go on Canvas/Blackboard and make notes from the powerpoint presentation uploaded from the one I missed (assuming your lecturers do that, sometimes they don't which is annoying). To be honest I find you don't actually need to attend anything in order to understand it - as long as the content is attainable then you can just self-learn it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending