The Student Room Group

Placement course information

Hi, I'm planning to study Computer Science but as of yet I can't decide whether I want to do a sandwich year with an industrial placement or not.

I know that UCAS has codes for the course both with and without a placement, however what I'd like to know is do I HAVE to apply for a placement course at this stage, or if I would be able to apply for a regular 3 year course, and then once at uni decide if I wish to do the placement or not.

I don't think it's something I'll decide before the deadline so I need to know if I should choose both with and without.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 1
Original post by Daftybear
Hi, I'm planning to study Computer Science but as of yet I can't decide whether I want to do a sandwich year with an industrial placement or not.

I know that UCAS has codes for the course both with and without a placement, however what I'd like to know is do I HAVE to apply for a placement course at this stage, or if I would be able to apply for a regular 3 year course, and then once at uni decide if I wish to do the placement or not.

I don't think it's something I'll decide before the deadline so I need to know if I should choose both with and without.

Thanks for the help!

You can change, yes, although i'd recommend trying to apply for it now. It will vary on the departments and how they run it, but my course (not CompSci) only takes ~30-35 people on the industry course, and you can then only switch onto it if someone else drops off, by which point it goes on marks. Basically, I think it was easier to get the extra grade at A-level than be left needing at minimum 70%+ in first year. As I say, does depend on how the dept. run it, but if they also feel you're not suitable for the industrial course/don't have spaces they can bounce your offer back as a straight course.

Department dependent again, but in the majority of cases now, purely being on the course does not guarantee you a placement in any way. It usually comes down to second year when you're actually applying for placements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending