The Student Room Group

Family Guy or The Simpsons?

Poll

Family Guy or The Simpsons?

It's a running argument with my all of my friends. Which is better...Family Guy or The Simpsons?

I'm very much a Family Guy fan, but I wanted to get other views on this shockingly important matter...!

Scroll to see replies

Haha I love the picture
Family guy wins in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The Simpsons set the original bar - so it's got to be that for me. Family Guy has lost itself since its glory days. Obviously, The Simpsons is nowhere near the quality it used to be...but it's early years are unrivalled. What a show.
American Dad! :h:

Out of these two? Family Guy.
Family guy
Reply 5
Simpsons all day long but it has been getting gradually worse...
Family Guy is just unnecessary murder and Meg-bashing now, carried on the back of Brian and Stewie. Chris's character is useless. The Simpsons set the bar, dipped hard for the most part of the 2000s but now is a midpoint between 90s gold and 00s crap but I find it more tolerable than FG
simpsons
thats the only one that i've seen
Although Family Guy and The Simpsons aren't exactly top rivals - The Simpsons is aimed at a younger audience, and lots of people transition from Simpsons to Family Guy at they get older.

I think the other competitors are Simpsons vs. Futurama (even though they're both Matt Groening), or Family Guy (/Cleveland Show/American Dad) vs. South Park.
The Simpsons has the longevity and more mainstream acceptance, and when it was good it was excellent. But the best episodes of Family Guy are more hilarious, edgy and well constructed than the best Simpsons episodes, so I've gotta go with my boy Seth on this one.

The Simpsons opened the door, but Family Guy took the ball and run with it and pushed the boundaries.
Reply 10
Has anyone seen the new Family Guy episode starring both? Hilarious!
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
Has anyone seen the new Family Guy episode starring both? Hilarious!

Yup ... I loved the surreal feel of it all. Patrick Meighan is one of my favourite FG writers and he was the one who put that episode together. The Simpsons cast did a great job on it too :cool:
The older episodes of the simpsons (4th season and older!) are better than Family Guy, but Family Guy is better than the newest episodes of the Simpsons.
The Simpsons, seasons 3-10. Hilarious, intelligent and charming. Growing up with it helped shape my sense of humour, and taught more about pop culture than school ever did.

Family Guy is still great though, but not as good as classic Simpsons.
Original post by futbol
Simpsons all day long but it has been getting gradually worse...

In comparison to the older episodes, you are absolutely right. The most episodes of the simpson are too....fancy!
Original post by IanDangerously

The Simpsons opened the door, but Family Guy took the ball and run with it and pushed the boundaries.

If by 'took the ball and ran with it you mean' you mean borrowed moments of The Simpsons brilliance and spun them out into hours of repetitive, unimaginative gags, in place of actual jokes then I agree.

Seasons 2-8 of The Simpsons are essential, stone cold classics almost without exception. 1 is quite different but essential also to appreciate its roots and how it evolved. 9-11 vary wildly in quality and you can probably locate it jumping the shark thereabouts. Almost everything after may as well not be The Simpsons. The animation has lost its humanity and flamboyance and the characters are reduced to wacky impersonations of themselves... and then of course Homer gets <Family Guy>RAPED BY A PANDA<\Family Guy> lololol

Family Guy had its moments but there's hands down no comparison whatsoever between the two. Simpsons broke moulds, had a joke rate throughout a couple of hundred episodes that's probably unsurpassed, had a central family with humanity and charm and created dozens of the most brilliant, unforgettable side-characters ever. They also managed to churn out a couple of hundred episodes before the invevitable decline in quality, whereas FG managed 50 odd.
(edited 9 years ago)
Family guy 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehFrance
American Dad! :h: (...)

Yeah, American Dad is currently the best series. I really don't know what is better.
Family Guy - I watching the series in order.
I sort of progressed as I got older from Simpsons to Family Guy. The to American Dad and now South Park.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending