The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

Hi
I am on my gap year having achieved 3A* and 1A at A level with 90% UMS in maths physics chemistry and further maths. I want to apply for chemical engineering. Do i stand a better chance at oxford because my UMS are low for cambridge or i would be okay applying to cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eepero
Hi
I am on my gap year having achieved 3A* and 1A at A level with 90% UMS in maths physics chemistry and further maths. I want to apply for chemical engineering. Do i stand a better chance at oxford because my UMS are low for cambridge or i would be okay applying to cambridge?

Cambridge's UMS average at AS is around 95%, but the UMS averages for A2s aren't published. Whilst I would certainly expect them to be above 90%, I would also expect them to be lower than 95%. So whilst your UMS average will probably be on the low side for Cambridge, they won't be ridiculously low.

At least on paper at this point in time, it would appear that you'd have a better chance for Oxford, although it's certainly far from impossible for you to get into Cambridge. Just remember that if you apply to Oxford, I believe you will need to take the PAT so factor this in.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Cambridge's UMS average at AS is around 95%, but the UMS averages for A2s aren't published. Whilst I would certainly expect them to be above 90%, I would also expect them to be lower than 95%. So whilst your UMS average will probably be on the low side for Cambridge, they won't be ridiculously low.

At least on paper at this point in time, it would appear that you'd have a better chance for Oxford, although it's certainly far from impossible for you to get into Cambridge. Just remember that if you apply to Oxford, I believe you will need to take the PAT so factor this in.

Yes i know about the PAT which is why i do not really like the prospect of Oxford. I am working this year in an oil company and together with my A-levels i finished Greek school with 18.5/20. Do you think my application will be in the strong ones?
Original post by eepero
Hi

You said in the other thread you wanted to apply for physical natsci . . .?

Either way, I think the 486/600 in FM would be of concern to phys natsci/chem eng admissions tutors. That's only just a scraped A, after all.

It's tough to say for sure but I think you'd have a better chance at Oxford, though their courses are different to physical natsci/chemical engineering at Cambridge (as far as I'm aware).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ClickItBack

Either way, I think the 486/600 in FM would be of concern to phys natsci/chem eng admissions tutors. That's only just a scraped A, after all.

It's tough to say for sure but I think you'd have a better chance at Oxford, though they neither have a physical natsci nor a chemical engineering degree (as far as I'm aware).

Yes in cambridge you do natsci the first year and then change to Chem eng. You are right about the 486 but there are 2 units that are really low and all the other ones 85%+. Will they ignore that?
Original post by eepero
Hi

How much variation was there in your results? As a very rough guide, if they were all above 85% you're probably ok with Cambridge - as someone mentioned above the average is in the region of 90-95% for successful applications ON AVERAGE - so some students will have achieved lower results. Your work experience in an oil company could help a bit at interview. I would say that if you really love Cambridge and the Cambridge course then go for it :smile:

It's tough to say for sure but I think you'd have a better chance at Oxford, though their courses are different to physical natsci/chemical engineering at Cambridge (as far as I'm aware).

Cambridge doesn't offer Chemical Engineering as a first year course - so ChemEng students either do first year PhysNatSci or Engineering before starting Chemical Engineering in their second year. This also keeps open options to go into other physical sciences/ engineering subjects if you change your mind, which is quite helpful.

If OP did only scrape an A in Further Maths, that would be a bit more of a concern - the course at Cambridge (and probably also at Oxford) is very mathematical.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by eepero
Yes in cambridge you do natsci the first year and then change to Chem eng. You are right about the 486 but there are 2 units that are really low and all the other ones 85%+. Will they ignore that?

Ah right, so you're going for chem eng via the natsci route.

1 bombed module with the rest at 95%+ would likely merit a semi-write-off as a 'bad day'. 2 really low modules and the rest not exceedingly high will be looked at somewhat less sympathetically.

I think all anyone can say at this point is that you have a chance, though not a fantastic one. Also I believe you're certain to get an interview since you meet the auto-pooling threshold of 3A*s.
Original post by dragonkeeper999

Cambridge doesn't offer Chemical Engineering as a first year course - so ChemEng students either do first year PhysNatSci or Engineering before starting Chemical Engineering in their second year. This also keeps open options to go into other physical sciences/ engineering subjects if you change your mind, which is quite helpful.

If OP did only scrape an A in Further Maths, that would be a bit more of a concern - the course at Cambridge (and probably also at Oxford) is very mathematical.

Yeah I'm aware of that, I'm an ex-Cantab myself :tongue:. It's just that OP didn't mention anything about wanting to transfer to chem eng after 1st year in a different thread.
Reply 8
Ah right, so you're going for chem eng via the natsci route.

1 bombed module with the rest at 95%+ would likely merit a semi-write-off as a 'bad day'. 2 really low modules and the rest not exceedingly high will be looked at somewhat less sympathetically.

I think all anyone can say at this point is that you have a chance, though not a fantastic one. Also I believe you're certain to get an interview since you meet the auto-pooling threshold of 3A*s.

I thought i would have a fantastic one actually. It's 3 A*'s i mean its way over the offer. Now i am a bit concerned... Maybe i should not even bother applying
Original post by eepero
I thought i would have a fantastic one actually. It's 3 A*'s i mean its way over the offer. Now i am a bit concerned... Maybe i should not even bother applying

Well, not many people really have a fantastic chance to begin with. Moreover 3A*s, though a very strong achievement, is par for the course at Cambridge. The average successful science applicant scores slightly more than 3A*s - and there'll be many who achieve that who get rejected. Hence the focus on UMS - to distinguish further between the many students who achieve high grades.

If you feel strongly for Cambridge, I think you should give it a go. You will (I believe) get an interview and have a chance to show them that your maths scores aren't an accurate reflection of your mathematical ability. Also I would say it is very likely that you get offers from your other choices; hence you can afford to risk 1 UCAS choice on Cambridge.
Reply 10
Well, not many people really have a fantastic chance to begin with. Moreover 3A*s, though a very strong achievement, is par for the course at Cambridge. The average successful science applicant scores slightly more than 3A*s - and there'll be many who achieve that who get rejected. Hence the focus on UMS - to distinguish further between the many students who achieve high grades.

If you feel strongly for Cambridge, I think you should give it a go. You will (I believe) get an interview and have a chance to show them that your maths scores aren't an accurate reflection of your mathematical ability. Also I would say it is very likely that you get offers from your other choices; hence you can afford to risk 1 UCAS choice on Cambridge.

Together with the 4A*'s i have scored 18.5/20 in the Greek apolytirion. They ask for 19/20 without A-levels. I thought i had a really good chance but now i am so unsure if i should bother applying. Imperial is good too... maybe better
Average for sciences is not more than three it is 2.6A* i think
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by eepero
Together with the 3A*'s i have scored 18.5/20 in the Greek apolytirion. They ask for 19/20 without A-levels. I thought i had a really good chance but now i am so unsure if i should bother applying. Imperial is good too... maybe better

Although people are saying to go for oxford instead, I disagree. although their offers are lower, don't let this fool you. They are extremely combatitive in interview and successfull applicants score similar UMS-wise to that of cambridge offer holders. Imperial is much the same, I'd say go a notch lower unless you are stellar in EC's and interview.
Reply 12
Original post by Weenja
Although people are saying to go for oxford instead, I disagree. although their offers are lower, don't let this fool you. They are extremely combatitive in interview and successfull applicants score similar UMS-wise to that of cambridge offer holders. Imperial is much the same, I'd say go a notch lower unless you are stellar in EC's and interview.

So nowadays your chances are slight at cambridge even with 3A*'s... cool stuff haha
Original post by eepero
Together with the 3A*'s i have scored 18.5/20 in the Greek apolytirion. They ask for 19/20 without A-levels. I thought i had a really good chance but now i am so unsure if i should bother applying. Imperial is good too... maybe better

No, that's the average successful applicant across all subjects. Humanities tend to get a bit fewer than scientists.

From the Christ's College Admissions Tutor:

The average Cambridge entrant achieves just over 2.7 A*s at A Level, with Scientists achieving on average just over 3 A*s and Arts & Humanities students between 2 and 2.5.

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. Very few people can be absolutely confident of getting into Cambridge. Just because you don't have a 'really good chance' doesn't mean you shouldn't apply.
It's only one out of your five choices. Why wouldn't you take a chance and find out for your own peace of mind?
No, that's the average successful applicant across all subjects. Humanities tend to get a bit fewer than scientists.

From the Christ's College Admissions Tutor:

The average Cambridge entrant achieves just over 2.7 A*s at A Level, with Scientists achieving on average just over 3 A*s and Arts & Humanities students between 2 and 2.5.

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. Very few people can be absolutely confident of getting into Cambridge. Just because you don't have a 'really good chance' doesn't mean you shouldn't apply.

Those statistics, do you have an official source I can see? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've heard conflicting information and I'd appreciate an original source I could refer to.
Original post by Chlorophile
Those statistics, do you have an official source I can see? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've heard conflicting information and I'd appreciate an original source I could refer to.

Check OP by the Christ's Admissions Tutor in this thread.
Check OP by the Christ's Admissions Tutor in this thread.

Thanks!
From what I know, 3A* will give you a chance at either. People are saying that you don't have a fantastic chance, which is true but don't take it personally. Basically no one has a fantastic chance for Oxford or Cambridge, so don't be put off by it. I'd apply if I were you, not really got anything to lose by applying to whichever you prefer (remember through UCAS you can apply for up to 5 unis but not both Oxford and Cambridge, so you could just put one of them down and still apply to places like Imperial).
Reply 19
Original post by Sparticus515
From what I know, 3A* will give you a chance at either. People are saying that you don't have a fantastic chance, which is true but don't take it personally. Basically no one has a fantastic chance for Oxford or Cambridge, so don't be put off by it. I'd apply if I were you, not really got anything to lose by applying to whichever you prefer (remember through UCAS you can apply for up to 5 unis but not both Oxford and Cambridge, so you could just put one of them down and still apply to places like Imperial).

Well yeah but i thought my application would be strong and with a good interview i would get the offer. Now i feel that there is no chance or something. Its just like A*'s mean nothing...

Quick Reply

Latest