The Student Room Group

AABB at As and wanting to go to top universities, is this possible?

Hi,
Im currently doing my A2's in history, politics and english literature. My predicted grades are A* AA the A* being in politics. I'm looking to study politics at uni however I'm wondering if I'm still ok applying to universities with entry requirements with AAA even though my As grades don't quite match up???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annaisobel97
Hi,
Im currently doing my A2's in history, politics and english literature. My predicted grades are A* AA the A* being in politics. I'm looking to study politics at uni however I'm wondering if I'm still ok applying to universities with entry requirements with AAA even though my As grades don't quite match up???

Not sure if it's a troll... but I'll answer regardless.

Yes, the entry requirements are more about your A2 predictions, so you can get into a course which requires A*AA as per your predictions.
Reply 2
Original post by R Dragon
Not sure if it's a troll... but I'll answer regardless.

Yes, the entry requirements are more about your A2 predictions, so you can get into a course which requires A*AA as per your predictions.

Ok thanks, I just wasn't sure if the uni's would look at my As grades and and think I wasn't good enough as I didn't get straight As but perhaps I'm over thinking it
Hi,

Got AABC at AS and got into Oxford for History.
Original post by colourtheory
Got AABC at AS and got into Oxford for History.

What were your GCSE grades if you dont mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by monica555
What were your GCSE grades if you dont mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not great :colondollar: 2 A*s 7 As 2 Bs at GCSE and A*A*A at A2

People are actually really mean, I've had people asking me if I got in as the result of a severely disadvantaged background or widening participation scheme :O One guy suddenly exclaimed that I was his inspiration and that there was hope for everyone, as if anyone could do it now that the uni lowered their standards enough to let me in...
(edited 9 years ago)
well like someone else said about AABC, i also know someone who got into oxford for english with those grades, and someone with the same grades as you, also for english. so go for it if you want it!

People are actually really mean, I've had people asking me if I got in as the result of a severely disadvantaged background or widening participation scheme :O One guy suddenly exclaimed that I was his inspiration and that there was hope for everyone, as if anyone could do it now that the uni lowered their standards enough to let me in...

Ahahaaa, that made my day XD LOL, but who cares what people say! Just go do your thing and prosper academically~
Original post by R Dragon
Ahahaaa, that made my day XD LOL, but who cares what people say! Just go do your thing and prosper academically~

Thank you! I'm actually a bit bored of feeling like an utter fraud so I'm gonna take your advice whole heartedly :biggrin:
Original post by EmergencyBagels
well like someone else said about AABC, i also know someone who got into oxford for english with those grades, and someone with the same grades as you, also for english. so go for it if you want it!

Blips at AS are really common and as long as tutors think you can meet the minimum requirements then their usually happy to have a look at your application. The reason I applied to Oxford was because of their entrance tests which provide the opportunity to overcome stupid exam errors. I, for example, got 100% in my first Art History AS unit and a D in the second; I was penalised 30 marks for putting the wrong question number in the margin!

I bet you are referring me aren't you lol?:biggrin: :smile:
Reply 11
I got exactly those grades at AS and got an offer from the Uni of Manchester, who wanted AAA :smile: You should be absolutely fine with those grades. Those Bs can be pulled up to As, if you were on Cs and Ds you would be struggling for AAA unis but you're not, so don't worry :smile: Good luck!
Reply 12
Not great :colondollar: 2 A*s 7 As 2 Bs at GCSE

that's not 'not great'.
pretty good.
Hi,

I got offers for AAA and I got ABCC at AS

What !? Thats rude. I am also applying to Oxford for maths which is why I asked. I got 3A*s 6As 2Bs 1C for GCSE and AAAAB for AS, predicted 4A*s. Do you think I have a chance? I know maths is pretty competitive so Im quite scared :tongue:
Well, I got AACC at AS and got offers from York, Southampton, Durham and Cambridge - I'm on a gap year but will be starting at Cambridge in 2015 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RosieEPQ
Well, I got AACC at AS and got offers from York, Southampton, Durham and Cambridge - I'm on a gap year but will be starting at Cambridge in 2015 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah, how did you get an offer from Cambridge? I thought they were really stingy about AS results.
Original post by monica555
What !? Thats rude. I am also applying to Oxford for maths which is why I asked. I got 3A*s 6As 2Bs 1C for GCSE and AAAAB for AS, predicted 4A*s. Do you think I have a chance? I know maths is pretty competitive so Im quite scared :tongue:

Oh absolutely, you're grades are really good! I think GCSEs are a real source of confusion for a lot of people and as long as you have a good set of ASs, good predicted grades and perform well in interviews and the MAT then you still have a good chance. Too many people every year are put off because of GCSE performance or AS blips and I certainly wouldn't have gotten in without giving it a shot :smile:
Original post by Rstlss
that's not 'not great'.
pretty good.

Oxbridge has a lot to answer for in terms of grade snobbery; when I got my grades I was really happy but after talking to my careers advisor I started to view my GCSEs as a weakness, it's a real shame that 16 year olds are made to feel defeated at such a young age.
Original post by Skill Twix
I bet you are referring me aren't you lol?:biggrin: :smile:

Kind of :colondollar: Don't take offence though, I know you were just excited to see someone with a 'normal' academic profile get in, I know I would have felt a lot better if someone with similar grades to me on TSR had gotten in. That's why I post my grades so often on here, I want people to know that it is doable and that Oxford is for people who are inquisitive and passionate about their subject. In doing that though I've put my feelings on the line a bit and a couple of comments from people have hurt a little (not talking about you here, there is someone else in particular who was a bit of an idiot).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending