The Student Room Group

Want to go to University!

Hello all, I wonder if you could help me.
I have been set on going to university for several years now. I left school with no formal qualifications due to person reasons and started my career in hairdressing, I am now about to complete my Level 3 in NVQ in Hairdressing.
The degree I would like to achieve is Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science (or something along those lines).
Some people are a bit confused why a hairdresser would want to do that, but I took the path of hairdresser because I wish to develop and design new hairdressing projects once completed my degree.
My current job gives me a very good insight on the current products, hair structure and many other scientific benefits for my future career.

I am writing on here as I need your help!
I would like to hopefully start my degree in 2015, problem is I don't hold the current qualifications to apply for it.

What would be the best course of action to take to ensure I can get into the course for 2015?

Many Thanks
J
Reply 1
Original post by ijacub

What would be the best course of action to take to ensure I can get into the course for 2015?

To begin with, 2015 isn't a realistic prospect with no qualifications but a Level 3 NVQ. I think you have a year or two of work to do before you can start uni, but it isn't impossible.

Your best route is probably via a 1 year Access course at your local college. However the academic year for these has already begun, so you probably won't be able to start until 2015.

Research the degrees for which you are likely to apply, as each will have unpublished entry requirements for mature students. Ask them which type off Access course they would accept to make sure that you're doing the right one.

Also, most unis - and many colleges - require applicants to have GCSE Maths and English at Grade C or above. You may even have to take these before beginning an Access course.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
To begin with, 2015 isn't a realistic prospect with no qualifications but a Level 3 NVQ. I think you have a year or two of work to do before you can start uni, but it isn't impossible.

Your best route is probably via a 1 year Access course at your local college. However the academic year for these has already begun, so you probably won't be able to start until 2015.

Research the degrees for which you are likely to apply, as each will have unpublished entry requirements for mature students. Ask them which type off Access course they would accept to make sure that you're doing the right one.

Also, most unis - and many colleges - require applicants to have GCSE Maths and English at Grade C or above. You may even have to take these before beginning an Access course.

Hi, I tried to do a Access course before but I couldn't continue with it due to I was unable to financially support myself whilst doing the course so this isn't an ideal or realistic option for me.

I can take my GCSEs as my local college starting Novemeber so the GCSEs arnt the problem. I've read about foundation years onto courses. Are they any good/easy to get onto with GCSEs and Life Experience?
Reply 3
I can only find one Pharmaceutical & Cosmetic Science degree and that's at De Montfort. It doesn't have a Foundation Year attached to it, but you could email them and ask for their suggestions on entry requirements in your situation.
Reply 4
Yea I know the degree i mentioned was only there but a pharmacy degree would be an alternative to me.
Would a science foundation be adequate for a pharmacy degree?
Reply 5
It will depend on the university. For mature students, entry requirements are decided on a case-by-case basis. Some will take a Foundation, some prefer Access and there may be other routes.

In your situation it would be worth picking half a dozen degrees which look interesting, then emailing the Admissions Office and asking what they would accept for mature student entry.

Unfortunately there's no 'one size fits all' answer for mature students. Students on the same course may have different entry requirements depending on their background and experience. For example, I didn't have to do an Access course but the other mature student on my course, did.

You're now at the stage where you need to ask some unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending