The Student Room Group

French PS Help

Hi. I’m just about to send off my Personal Statement (for French and Italian at Cambridge, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh and Bath) but my teachers say I need a bit more ‘analysis’ as far as the literature part is concerned-in order to stand out a bit more and show I haven’t just read the book;

For example, Maupassant's short stories e.g. Boule de Suif and Flaubert's Madame Bovary provided interesting interpretations on 19th Century society, while I have also enjoyed works with a stronger philosophical bias, such as those by Camus and Alain-Fournier. Antigone by Jean Anoiulh provided an interesting combination of Sophocles' classic play and the setting of German occupied France; the power of the character of Antigone as a representation of the bravery of the French Resistance against the German Occupation is a particularly interesting aspect of the novel.

Can anybody suggest something I could put it to help achieve this?

Many Thanks
Reply 1
I'd have thought that would be just fine for your 5 other unis and for Cambridge I expect they'll ask you to explain in more depth what you mean by what you've said there. If you make it any more detailed they might just push you further on it anyway, and if you've already exhausted everything you have to say on the subject in your PS then you'll get stuck. I personally don't think you need to go any more into that; it's not an essay on topics that interest you, it's a personal statement, and therefore about you, not tiny details of books you've read.
Ronove
I'd have thought that would be just fine for your 5 other unis and for Cambridge I expect they'll ask you to explain in more depth what you mean by what you've said there. If you make it any more detailed they might just push you further on it anyway, and if you've already exhausted everything you have to say on the subject in your PS then you'll get stuck. I personally don't think you need to go any more into that; it's not an essay on topics that interest you, it's a personal statement, and therefore about you, not tiny details of books you've read.

:ditto: That's far more literary analysis than I had and I got offers (for French and Spanish) from Cambridge, Bristol and Exeter as well as Royal Holloway and Sheffield.
I mentioned one French book in my personal statement and said that I was moved by a particular character's inability to find happiness and that was it. I think that's plenty! I got offers for French & Spanish from Cambridge, Durham, Newcastle, Southampton, Birmingham and Liverpool.

Latest

Trending

Trending