The Student Room Group

Best University for Occupational Therapy?

So due to my current college course not being something that will easily get me into this course, my uni choices are very limited. My choices are:
York St John
Coventry
Cumbria
East Anglia
Northampton
I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about any of these, like which has the best OT course, student life, accommodation, location, etc etc. Or anything you think I should generally know about any of these, whether it's just one or some or all.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I am also applying to York St Johns and Coventry. I've been to the York St Johns open day and I was really impressed. Tutors were brilliant and the facilities were good. It's a very small campus which can be seen as a positive in the aspect that it has a community atmosphere, however some people might prefer a larger, busier campus. I love the historic architecture of the university and the city, and the fact that both the university and student accommodation are integrated within the city centre, is a real bonus.
Have you been to any open days?
Original post by Rachel'B
I am also applying to York St Johns and Coventry. I've been to the York St Johns open day and I was really impressed. Tutors were brilliant and the facilities were good. It's a very small campus which can be seen as a positive in the aspect that it has a community atmosphere, however some people might prefer a larger, busier campus. I love the historic architecture of the university and the city, and the fact that both the university and student accommodation are integrated within the city centre, is a real bonus.
Have you been to any open days?

I actually have been to one of their open days a month or two ago, however not for Occupational Therapy (I changed my mind in the summer as to the course I wanted to do so that's why, I went to see Primary Ed) Did you go see OT at York St John? I can't go to their next open day so I can't see what the course will be like, hopefully if I get an interview then I will be able to see more on the OT course. I liked York St John though, it was good because it's north of me and would be closer to my boyfriend who lives in Scotland :wink: I'm not sure if I like the size or not though, but I wouldn't say small or big is that important to me. Thought the accommodation was really nice though. I kind of want to know more about the social aspect too... I'm also going to the Coventry one this weekend :biggrin: I haven't been to open days for any of the others though and I'm not sure if I will/can. :frown:
Reply 3
Yeah, I went to look at OT. There was a student who took us on a personal tour around the OT facilities. They had resource rooms equipped with OT equipment such as raised kitchen worktops, hoisters, seated baths etc. for us to understand the importance of and learn how to operate. The placements you have to do may be in York or surrounding areas within Yorkshire such as Hull and Leeds, or towns such as Scarborough and Wetherby etc.
As for the social aspect, here's the website for the YSJ Student Union:
www.ysjsu.com

Yeah, I've booked to go to Coventry but don't know whether I will, it's quite a journey from where I live (Leeds), I don't particularly want to go to a university too far away, for convenience and cost of travel purposes. Please message to say whether you were impressed/disappointed by the Coventry open day.
Yeah, I went to look at OT. There was a student who took us on a personal tour around the OT facilities. They had resource rooms equipped with OT equipment such as raised kitchen worktops, hoisters, seated baths etc. for us to understand the importance of and learn how to operate. The placements you have to do may be in York or surrounding areas within Yorkshire such as Hull and Leeds, or towns such as Scarborough and Wetherby etc.
www.ysjsu.com

Yeah, I've booked to go to Coventry but don't know whether I will, it's quite a journey from where I live (Leeds), I don't particularly want to go to a university too far away, for convenience and cost of travel purposes. Please message to say whether you were impressed/disappointed by the Coventry open day.

Thanks for letting me know:smile: The fact they have lots of facilities for OT students sounds good. Yeah I remember them saying about placements being far for the Primary Ed so I assumed it would be similar, but I think every uni is like that...
You're different to me as I want to go as far away as possible for uni:wink: I wanted to go to Northumbria but my course wouldn't get me into it:frown:
I'll let you know about Coventry tomorrow after I get back or on Sunday, I think it's meant to be quite a good one:smile: Though my only issue with it from what I see online is the aaccommodationdoesn't sound great/has some issues...
www.ysjsu.com

Okay let's see how much of yesterday I can remember...
Coventry itself isn't the best (especially in comparison to York) because of its history it's not very pretty. Although Birmingham is pretty close so if you wanted to go to a bigger city for the day then I would guess its about 10 minutes by train.
The OT course is HUGE I think there are going to be 190 students for it 2015-16 and there are about 35 staff members on it. Although a student said that even though the course (and uni) are big, you're still not just a number like you might feel at other big unis, you get a personal tutor who is always there for you and helps with stuff too. The facilities were really good, they had a big kitchen/lab type thing to show hand therapy and they had load of rooms where you are in smaller class sizes and you all sit in a semi circle and its a lot more personal.. They also had two rooms where one you could decorate cupcakes and one where you could play the wii :tongue: However I wasn't that impressed with the talk on OT itself as they didn't talk much about what was on the course or anything like that, it was more about how to get into their course and what people thought about it. I went to the Derby open day (however I'm not going there as I live far too close:wink:) and the Derby one was a lot better in my opinion (annoyingly for me).
I went to see 2 of their accommodation sites, singer hall (shared bathroom) and liberty point (en suite) they were both really nice, better than I though/heard about. There are 6 per flat and you all share a kitchen. Personally I would like liberty point if I go as I want en suite:wink:
I can't remember anything else but if you want to ask anything I might remember, unless I wasn't told the answer to it..
Reply 6
Thank you for all the info, it has provided me with real insight :smile:. Sounds like there are good and bad aspects to it, will definitely apply, but yeah, it won't be my top choice.
Really like Liverpool and York St Johns so far and I'm actually going to the Derby open day this coming saturday, I've never been to Derby before so I'm looking forward to it.
Thank you for all the info, it has provided me with real insight :smile:. Sounds like there are good and bad aspects to it, will definitely apply, but yeah, it won't be my top choice.
Really like Liverpool and York St Johns so far and I'm actually going to the Derby open day this coming saturday, I've never been to Derby before so I'm looking forward to it.

No problem:smile: Well I'm from there so if you have any questions about the city I will try to answer them.

Quick Reply

Latest