The Student Room Group

Healthcare Science - 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMorty97
Well done! :biggrin: From who may I ask?

I still haven't received anything from any of my universities, the wait is killing me D:

Don't worry about it too much, I had to wait until February - April for responses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by sam_town1
Don't worry about it too much, I had to wait until February - April for responses.

The worst part is seeing other people in the sixth form getting all five decisions back within a week haha! I guess the type of course healthcare science is means universities won't rush making decisions!
Reply 42
Does Track only change when you get an offer
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, so I was wondering if you've had an interview from Swansea for audiology?

If so, what type of questions do they ask? Scientific or general?

[QUOTE="UniGal101;52118923"]Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, so I was wondering if you've had an interview from Swansea for audiology?

If so, what type of questions do they ask? Scientific or general?

Hi all, I'm a first year cardiac physiologist at Southampton, if you've got any questions, feel free to ask me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Received an unconditional offer today for Cardiac Physiology :biggrin:

Congratulations! What university? Wow an unconditional offer, do you already have your full a levels or something?
Reply 46
Anyone been to a interview or going to one for Healthcare at MMU really appreciate some heads up on what they ask
Well done! :biggrin: From who may I ask?

I still haven't received anything from any of my universities, the wait is killing me D:

Original post by JusstJen
Congratulations! What university? Wow an unconditional offer, do you already have your full a levels or something?

Thank you :biggrin: Yes, I have my A levels. I almost died when I had seen, "something has changed in your track"

Ulster University :smile:
Reply 48
Hi everyone,

I've applied to Cardiff, Swansea, UWE, LSBU and Liverpool for the Radiotherapy & Oncology course! Has anyone else?

I've had invitations to interviews for swansea, cardiff and UWE and my first is next week. Its cardiff and its my first choice, does anyone have any interview tips?

:-) Danni
Reply 49
If any of you want information on the audiology course at Southampton, I'll be happy to talk.
I'm a first year audiology student here and loving it :biggrin:
Original post by am-mtj
If any of you want information on the audiology course at Southampton, I'll be happy to talk.
I'm a first year audiology student here and loving it :biggrin:

hi im going to de montfort to study audiology and was wondering how is the course is it easy or hard and how does your week actually plan out to be like??
Reply 51
Original post by mohammed95
hi im going to de montfort to study audiology and was wondering how is the course is it easy or hard and how does your week actually plan out to be like??

I can't quite say for the DMU course since it'll be slightly different and of course with different lecturers, but generally the course is quite challenging (to be fair, that's with any uni course). At the very least, it certainly isn't "easy" as such.
There will be focus on anatomy and physiology and you should expect to revise a lot of many little details of the entire ear (there's a lot...) but you'll also have to be able to link those features to different disorders and vice versa. This will be expected of you in you career anyway so you better get used to it now.

For example, in one of last year's first year semester 1 exams, a question came up where an elderly woman had dry macular degeneration and hearing loss and from that info, you were expected to know how that would affect her day-to-day communication and lifestyle, even though we were never taught about dry macular degeneration.
You would have had to remember what the macula was and what it did, realise that degeneration of it would lead to so and so problems then figure out what those problems would do to your life.

Not trying to scare you at all, it's something that you will get used to after a while. It's just daunting at first. That question would never have come up if they didn't expect you to be able to work it out.

My timetable (at least for the first semester, hope mine doesn't change for the next) is very nice.
Mon 10-1
Tues 9-12 practical/1-4 lectures
Wed 11-1
Thurs 2-6
Fri FREE DAY

It really isn't that bad, especially compared to some degrees like the engineering courses and whatnot...

[EDIT] Yes, I did send this at this time in the morning...I'm about to head home for Christmas! :biggrin:
Original post by am-mtj
I can't quite say for the DMU course since it'll be slightly different and of course with different lecturers, but generally the course is quite challenging (to be fair, that's with any uni course). At the very least, it certainly isn't "easy" as such.
There will be focus on anatomy and physiology and you should expect to revise a lot of many little details of the entire ear (there's a lot...) but you'll also have to be able to link those features to different disorders and vice versa. This will be expected of you in you career anyway so you better get used to it now.

For example, in one of last year's first year semester 1 exams, a question came up where an elderly woman had dry macular degeneration and hearing loss and from that info, you were expected to know how that would affect her day-to-day communication and lifestyle, even though we were never taught about dry macular degeneration.
You would have had to remember what the macula was and what it did, realise that degeneration of it would lead to so and so problems then figure out what those problems would do to your life.

Not trying to scare you at all, it's something that you will get used to after a while. It's just daunting at first. That question would never have come up if they didn't expect you to be able to work it out.

My timetable (at least for the first semester, hope mine doesn't change for the next) is very nice.
Mon 10-1
Tues 9-12 practical/1-4 lectures
Wed 11-1
Thurs 2-6
Fri FREE DAY

It really isn't that bad, especially compared to some degrees like the engineering courses and whatnot...

[EDIT] Yes, I did send this at this time in the morning...I'm about to head home for Christmas! :biggrin:

In stark contrast to us Cardiac Physiologists & the Respiratory/Sleep Physiologists:
Mon: 9:30-4:30pm (Hospital).
Tues: 1-4pm - 'Professional Practice' with you and your fellow Audiologists.
Wed: Free.
Thurs: 9:30-4:30pm (Hospital)
Fri: 9:30-12pm (Hospital)
Find Audiology a bit confusing considering your technically Healthcare Scientists but based in Engineering, which isn't the case in other places e.g. Manchester Met - my brother who does Neurophysiology is taught with Audiologists. By the way, what do you think of the Professional Practice module?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
In stark contrast to us Cardiac Physiologists & the Respiratory/Sleep Physiologists:
Mon: 9:30-4:30pm (Hospital).
Tues: 1-4pm - 'Professional Practice' with you and your fellow Audiologists.
Wed: Free.
Thurs: 9:30-4:30pm (Hospital)
Fri: 9:30-12pm (Hospital)
Find Audiology a bit confusing considering your technically Healthcare Scientists but based in Engineering, which isn't the case in other places e.g. Manchester Met - my brother who does Neurophysiology is taught with Audiologists. By the way, what do you think of the Professional Practice module?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're only in the Engineering faculty here because we're based in the ISVR which was absorbed into the Engineering faculty years ago. Before the absorption, we were in the Health Sciences faculty.
I hate that module. So much. It's the only module I'm dragging myself through (absolutely love everything else) because it's a pile of poop XD Most of it will barely be useful for an audiologist (for the most part).
How's your group doing with the presentation package though? Mine have completed the leaflet and nearly finished with the presentation (Nancy and Hazel's group, by the way) . We just need to decide on a model and touch ups on statistics and whatnot.
Original post by am-mtj
We're only in the Engineering faculty here because we're based in the ISVR which was absorbed into the Engineering faculty years ago. Before the absorption, we were in the Health Sciences faculty.
I hate that module. So much. It's the only module I'm dragging myself through (absolutely love everything else) because it's a pile of poop XD Most of it will barely be useful for an audiologist (for the most part).
How's your group doing with the presentation package though? Mine have completed the leaflet and nearly finished with the presentation (Nancy and Hazel's group, by the way) . We just need to decide on a model and touch ups on statistics and whatnot.

You're not alone, I think everyone hates the module, it's utterly pointless, I really can't be bothered with it anymore. I'm in Harry and Hemna's group - we're doing Alcohol misuse in students, we've got quite a few statistics in our leaflet (done apart from a bit of colour) which we're using in the presentation. We're doing the 'Health Belief' model and adapting it to our issue, presentation should be done in it's first draft in the next couple of days. It's finding the time to complete this tedious thing rather than doing revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, so I had my first interview at Anglia Ruskin last week and I got the offer so I thought I'd brief you on the questions they asked etc.

We first of all had a group interview which involved the discussion of how clinical physiologists can meet the expectations of patients. There were 3 lectures, 2 cardiac physiologists and a service user in the room. I was also one of 8 candidates in the room. We first of all discused what the expectations of any patient would be then how we as clinical physiologists can meet those.

We talked about how you'd deal with being in a difficult situation, if people who self inflict diseases on themselves should get treatment (like smoking 40 a day, getting emphysema and continuing to smoke). Benefits of working in a team etc...

After that, they all left the room and I along with the other candidates had a good chat (they were really friendly). About 10 mins later one of the lecturers came in and told us we'd be split into 2 groups and each person would be called for their individual interviews.

In this one they asked questions just trying to explore how we are as individuals. I'll list the ones I can remember below:

1. What do you know about the role of a clinical physiologist?
2. Explain a time you used your communication skills effectively
3. In a team, do you prefer being a leader or not?
4. What is your motivation behind becoming a clinical physiologist?
5. Do you prefer studying alone or in a group?
6. How do you divide your social time with work? Is it easy for you to compromise your free time when you have a big task to complete?
7. How do you deal with work under pressure?
8. If you picked to do the cardiac physiology placement and the spaces were already filled, would you be happy doing the respiratory and sleep placement?

The questions look odd but they had set questions they were going to ask but they changed them according to my previous answers.

I had 3 interviewers and the other group had 2. Mine was compromised of 2 lecturers and a cardiac physiologist. At the end of the interview they asked if I had any questions and I asked two then I was free to go.

They were all very lovely, warm and welcoming. It was quite an informal interview and I was really pleased with how it went.

I have another one at UWE soon which I'll post about also. Also, did anybody else apply to St. Georges? If so have you heard back from them?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by JusstJen
Hi guys, so I had my first interview at Anglia Ruskin last week and I got the offer so I thought I'd brief you on the questions they asked etc.

We first of all had a group interview which involved the discussion of how clinical physiologists can meet the expectations of patients. There were 3 lectures, 2 cardiac physiologists and a service user in the room. I was also one of 8 candidates in the room. We first of all discused what the expectations of any patient would be then how we as clinical physiologists can meet those.

We talked about how you'd deal with being in a difficult situation, if people who self inflict diseases on themselves should get treatment (like smoking 40 a day, getting emphysema and continuing to smoke). Benefits of working in a team etc...

After that, they all left the room and I along with the other candidates had a good chat (they were really friendly). About 10 mins later one of the lecturers came in and told us we'd be split into 2 groups and each person would be called for their individual interviews.

In this one they asked questions just trying to explore how we are as individuals. I'll list the ones I can remember below:

1. What do you know about the role of a clinical physiologist?
2. Explain a time you used your communication skills effectively
3. In a team, do you prefer being a leader or not?
4. What is your motivation behind becoming a clinical physiologist?
5. Do you prefer studying alone or in a group?
6. How do you divide your social time with work? Is it easy for you to compromise your free time when you have a big task to complete?
7. How do you deal with work under pressure?
8. If you picked to do the cardiac physiology placement and the spaces were already filled, would you be happy doing the respiratory and sleep placement?

The questions look odd but they had set questions they were going to ask but they changed them according to my previous answers.

I had 3 interviewers and the other group had 2. Mine was compromised of 2 lecturers and a cardiac physiologist. At the end of the interview they asked if I had any questions and I asked two then I was free to go.

They were all very lovely, warm and welcoming. It was quite an informal interview and I was really pleased with how it went.

I have another one at UWE soon which I'll post about also. Also, did anybody else apply to St. Georges? If so have you heard back from them?

Hi
Thanks for this update but i have not applied at anglian ruskin but gives me an idea of may get asked.

I have applied to st Georges but only got a "received your application message" nothing else.

Any one out their been to any more interviews would be helpfull if you can post it as we will do the same. I have interviews Jan/Fen for Manachet Met and Wolverhampton
Original post by BoboG
Hi
Thanks for this update but i have not applied at anglian ruskin but gives me an idea of may get asked.

I have applied to st Georges but only got a "received your application message" nothing else.

Any one out their been to any more interviews would be helpfull if you can post it as we will do the same. I have interviews Jan/Fen for Manachet Met and Wolverhampton

Hmm okay, one of the candidates I had the interview with said she received an invitation for an interview there and most of the people I know who applied for biomed at St Georges got rejected so I'm a bit worried about that considering they had strong personal statements and high predicted grades.

Good luck at your interviews, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
Reply 58
How are people doing with their UCAS applications for Healthcare Science? :smile: has anyone finished their personal statements, visited any universities or sent their application off?

I've visited the universities of Plymouth and the West of England this week and will be going to see Leeds in a couple of weeks!

Hi
Did you get an interview for Plymouth at all and also what was the uni like and especially where physilogical sciences is going to be taught, placements etc
Hey guyss, was a bit nosey to see who would choose Swansea as an option!
Im in swansea doing my first year of Cardiac Physiology, It's an absolutely fantastic uni so any questions feel free to ask!
Big up on don't feel nervous about waiting for interviews and replies, I had my interview in Feb and didn't hear back until April!

Quick Reply

Latest