The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Art useful for Civil/Mechanical Engineering?

Is A-Level Art good for career prospects and is it good to have it, in order to do Civil/Mechanical Engineering at University in the UK? If not, Is A-Level Art good for other careers. I'm wondering, because I am currently doing it and it is a big work load. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Also, would I need A-Level Physics? If yes, should I do it as an extra, because I am not currently doing it. (it would be 5 AS Level Subjects then)...
No, not useful for engineering at all.
Reply 3
Art isn't required, or relevant. However, you definitely need Physics.
No. Engineering isn't about making things pretty, it's about making things work. You're still absolutely entitled to take art if you enjoy it, but you need to make sure you have maths and physics first if you're doing engineering.
I don't take A-Level Physics right now, that's the thing. Art is a big work-load, so I don't know if I can fit in Physics as an extra. Will Universities not take me in for Engineering, if I don't have Physics?
Original post by chromesilver7
I don't take A-Level Physics right now, that's the thing. Art is a big work-load, so I don't know if I can fit in Physics as an extra. Will Universities not take me in for Engineering, if I don't have Physics?

Maths is essential.

Physics is often required (not always, but worth having)

Generally the sciences/technology are what you need for engineering. Art will not count for much except as a spare qualification. I did maths, physics, electronics and product design technology to get onto mechanical engineering and I use most of those at least once a day. Engineering is more about functionality than aesthetics - Engineering design or product design may be more suitable if you're interested in the artistic route.
Should I do Physics as an extra subject then? I already have a LOT of work on my hand...
Physics is very important and frequently part of the offer for all engineering courses. Art isn't useful and will take up a lot of your time but I did AS Product Design and I genuinely think it came in handy for some of my design projects.
Yeah I think taking physics will help show that you're serious about engineering. Drop art if you have to, it's simply nowhere near as important as physics if you want to get into engineering and it'd be a shame if you were to not high enough grades in more relevant subjects due to your art workload.
True. But, I might go into design. I'm not sure. I just wanted to do engineering because it has more jobs, better salary and less working hours compared to architecture
(Should I just add on Physics?)
So will I be rejected by Universities if I want to do Engineering, without Physics????
So will I be rejected by Universities if I want to do Engineering, without Physics????

It 100% depends on their individual entry requirements. Some will want it, some will like it, some won't care. It is good to have, but it's not always required.

If you're concerned, you will have to contact them and ask them for their view on your subjects and if they would be appropriate. All universities will be different though.
Thanks for the help! I am a bit interested in Physics and regret not taking it instead of Art... Art is a HEAVY work load, so adding another subject would make things a LOT worse right?
Thanks for the help! I am a bit interested in Physics and regret not taking it instead of Art... Art is a HEAVY work load, so adding another subject would make things a LOT worse right?

Almost certainly. I ended up dropping Product Design (it took up a fair amount of my time) and did AS Further Maths over the summer. A similar arrangement might make A2 Physics feasible for you, e.g. if you covered the AS modules over the summer, then joined an A2 class, and sat all the exams at once?

I'm getting ahead of myself here. Have you just started Art? If so it shouldn't be too late to switch to Physics (assuming you want to study engineering, of course!); people at my school switched subjects 6 weeks into the term :tongue:
I want to do Engineering in University and I just started doing all four subjects. I don't want to add any on, and quite certain not to drop any for now... I was just worried whether or not to add Physics. I hope you don't NEED it to get into Uni for Engineering. :frown:
UCL have no specific requirements because they strongly encourage and consider students who have not done physics or maths. Some unis only

Art does not have to be relevant. If you mention the skills you have learnt in one subject and how it links in to the course also, maybe, career then I think you will be fine.
The strength of you personal statement will be a big factor and any outside work experience you have done.

With any subject, I believe there are transferrable skills. Some skills are weaker than others though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to do Engineering in University and I just started doing all four subjects. I don't want to add any on, and quite certain not to drop any for now... I was just worried whether or not to add Physics. I hope you don't NEED it to get into Uni for Engineering. :frown:

What are your other subjects? I'd say maths is a fair bit more important than physics, especially if you do lots of mechanics modules.
I do Maths, Art, Spanish and English Literature
I hope you don't NEED it to get into Uni for Engineering. :frown:

Check the entry requirements for universities. Contact them directly if you need to. This is the only way to really know.

It will very clearly state which subjects they require and which subjects they would like to see from typical applications.

They are the people who will be accepting your application, so you need to check with them.

Some will want it, others won't. You can use league tables to get a rough idea of where universities rack up (league tables are generally awful pieces of information though, so don't rely on them) and check their requirements.

You do have a lot of non-STEM subjects though. Art, Spanish and English are not really applicable to engineering. You may learn a bit about report writing in English, but it's something everyone picks up at uni anyway.

I would definitely try to get a second science or technology subject in there. Physics would be great, but getting to grasps with technology in general would be well worth your time. Engineering is not 100% about maths - You will use practical skills as well.

Quick Reply

Latest