The Student Room Group

Sudden food aversion

It's been going on for a few weeks now, right now there's little food I can handle, mostly it's just raw foods like fruit/veg or chocolate. But cooked stuff, like gravy and meat (the worst), or even potatoes, eggs, even the smell of it makes me terribly nauseous, almost physically sick. Even the stuff I liked in the past. Tried doing research - pregnancy is the only thing that came up but that's not possible in my case gender wise.... So please don't suggest that. Any other clues, greatly appreciated, losing weight fast and I'm already bit a underweight.
Original post by Anonymous
It's been going on for a few weeks now, right now there's little food I can handle, mostly it's just raw foods like fruit/veg or chocolate. But cooked stuff, like gravy and meat (the worst), or even potatoes, eggs, even the smell of it makes me terribly nauseous, almost physically sick. Even the stuff I liked in the past. Tried doing research - pregnancy is the only thing that came up but that's not possible in my case gender wise.... So please don't suggest that. Any other clues, greatly appreciated, losing weight fast and I'm already bit a underweight.

This happened to me during my teenage years. Try eating bananas. Or foods rich in potassium. This will help recover your appetite.
I don't have a solution but would like to see what advice people offer you as I'm experiencing something similar.

Meat is also the worst for me, I've tried to force myself to eat it and I almost throw up every time. Just the smell even is bleurgh. I'm eating about 600 calories or so a day for the past few weeks and most of that is forced.

I found I'm ok with ginger biscuits but that's about it.
I'd see your doctor if its been going on for a few weeks. Its probably worth getting some blood tests, there might be a few things that could cause this.
I cant eat anything but watermelon...anything cooked makes me throw up,just the smell is bad enough.i had full blood test only thing it came up with is Zinc deficiency?now taking zinc for a wek now but no difference yet?

Latest