The Student Room Group

IB or A Levels?

Hi everyone,

So basically I'm in Y12 at the moment and I've started studying A Levels. I'm continuing at the same school, which overall is higher on the league tables than the IB school (which is also very good). I got 12 A* grades at GCSE. I know that I want to study French & Spanish at university.

Recently I started having doubts about whether I should do the IB because it's internationally recognised and in some cases, is more respected. It also has the ToK and EE elements. I'm not really bothered about CAS because I do a lot of extra-curricular anyway.

For IB I would take:
HL: English Literature, French, Spanish
SL: Maths, Chemistry, Philosophy

For A Levels I'm taking:
English Literature
French
Spanish
Maths
Economics
(+Critical Thinking elective - exam is optional)

I'm worried that doing 5 AS subjects might be too much. I have to study Spanish outside of school by going to course in London once a week since my school cut the subject. I'm aiming for Oxbridge.

What do you think would be best for me, IB or A Levels?
Reply 1
Original post by jeevanr21
Hi everyone,

So basically I'm in Y12 at the moment and I've started studying A Levels. I'm continuing at the same school, which overall is higher on the league tables than the IB school (which is also very good). I got 12 A* grades at GCSE. I know that I want to study French & Spanish at university.

Recently I started having doubts about whether I should do the IB because it's internationally recognised and in some cases, is more respected. It also has the ToK and EE elements. I'm not really bothered about CAS because I do a lot of extra-curricular anyway.

For IB I would take:
HL: English Literature, French, Spanish
SL: Maths, Chemistry, Philosophy

For A Levels I'm taking:
English Literature
French
Spanish
Maths
Economics
(+Critical Thinking elective - exam is optional)

I'm worried that doing 5 AS subjects might be too much. I have to study Spanish outside of school by going to course in London once a week since my school cut the subject. I'm aiming for Oxbridge.

What do you think would be best for me, IB or A Levels?

I never really considered taking the IB but my sister did. I heard its good if you like the humanities as you have to do lots of essays and its also coursework based. Its also a diploma which is higher than an A level ( slightly below a degree).
However, A levels are more mainstream therefore meaning that help with A levels will be easier to find than IB. Also with A levels you don't have to put in as much work as you do with IB, still a lot obviously. I quote that from friends who are actually doing the IB.
But at the end of the day its your choice and you should do what best suits you.

Quick Reply

Latest