The Student Room Group

Computer Science and Games-related degrees

I'm currently studying my second year in a level 3 BTEC extended diploma.

I am very interested in computers and have been an extensive computer user for a while now. More specifically in computers, I am interested in programming, web development and video games (Both playing and creating) but I am stoked on what degree I should take.

I have looked at a wide range of computer related Degrees ranging from Computer Science to Games Programming. I am worried my extended diploma may not be enough to enter one of these courses. I have also heard that Degrees relating to computer games are less wanted by the employers, such as a degree in games programming, design or development whilst a degree in Computer Science would be better sought out even for working at a games company. Another one is some Computer Science degrees do include games development as the emphasis, but not many universities do this, so it could be an option.

If you are wondering, the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma is in animation, which also has a large emphasis on video games. The problem I have here is that it may only be accepted for games related courses rather than Computer Science in which I much prefer to do.

What are your guys experience with game related degrees as well any computer science graduates that went into the games industry.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by krands
I'm currently studying my second year in a level 3 BTEC extended diploma.

I am very interested in computers and have been an extensive computer user for a while now. More specifically in computers, I am interested in programming, web development and video games (Both playing and creating) but I am stoked on what degree I should take.

I have looked at a wide range of computer related Degrees ranging from Computer Science to Games Programming. I am worried my extended diploma may not be enough to enter one of these courses. I have also heard that Degrees relating to computer games are less wanted by the employers, such as a degree in games programming, design or development whilst a degree in Computer Science would be better sought out even for working at a games company. Another one is some Computer Science degrees do include games development as the emphasis, but not many universities do this, so it could be an option.

If you are wondering, the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma is in animation, which also has a large emphasis on video games. The problem I have here is that it may only be accepted for games related courses rather than Computer Science in which I much prefer to do.

What are your guys experience with game related degrees as well any computer science graduates that went into the games industry.

Thanks!

Firstly, it is definitely true that a degree in Computer Science is more desirable than a degree in something like Games Design. This is because Computer Science is more of a branch of mathematics than programming. The skills you learn in Computer Science mean that rather than simply learning how to program or design games, you've got a much more in depth understanding of computation. I've heard people saying that whilst Computer Science graduates might leave with less practical knowledge than graduates from programming courses, their skillset allows them to learn most skills required for most computing jobs extremely rapidly. Computer Science graduates seem to have a better core understanding of the subject, so it is definitely true that a Computer Science degree looks better than something with "Games" in the title.

On the other hand, it is very important to understand the difference between Computer Science and a course focussed on games. As I said, Computer Science is very abstract and it's not particularly applied. Certainly at good institutions, it's probably more similar to maths than a programming-based course. Regardless of how desirable a computer science course might be, if you're not going to enjoy it, there's no point in taking it. So whilst a degree in Computer Science would be 'better', if you find a Games programming course you really love the sound of, I'd go for that. I'm definitely not an expert on this though.
Reply 2
I tried to write a simple game but I got a lot of exceptions ,man do what you love if you wanna study game go game programming it is not easy that you think. You need to spend a lot of time what you wanna do...
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest