The Student Room Group

Should I apply for unis with a higher offer than my predicted grades?

I've been told unis will often rely quite a bit on what your predicted grades are and apparently my school has a reputation for being rather accurate with our predictions so unis actually base a fair bit of emphasis on our predicted grades in my school.

My situation is that I want to apply to both Imperial and UCL where their typical offers are A*AA but I've been predicted A*AB. I want to stay in London but these 2 are the only 'good' unis for the course I want to apply to that are in London. I've also been told that my predicted grades are, and to quote "non-negotiable".

Should I try my luck and hope that at least one of them will give me an offer? Does anyone know what UCL and Imperial are like in terms of being 'lenient' when giving out offers?

What about unis that want AAA? I've got a B in one of my predictions and now I'm terrified that I'm not going to end up with any offers except my back-up!
Email them and tell them the situation and see what they say. They'll be best to advise.
You can apply but I'd apply for ones with lower requirements than your predicted too just in case.
There are two issues here :

1) Is it worth applying to a Uni asking for higher grades than my predictions? Yes. Its worth having one 'risky' choice - but with an understanding that you may get a straight rejection. Unis make their decisions on more than just predicted grades. A particularly strong PS and/or reference can result in an offer. BUT (important bit), you still have to get those high grades in August, not your predicted grades. This might sound obvious but many applicants think 'I've got an Offer' means a place - they forget about the reality of results. Only you know if you really could get the grades being asked for.

2) Is it worth applying to Imperial or UCL in this situation? This is a different question. Both ask for high grades because they know that there are heaps of people out there who will get those grades - and higher. They have their pick of high achieving candidates. They do not need to be 'kind' to anyone else to fill the course, or be 'lenient' on Results Day - ie. as a 'lower' level Uni might. They are top Unis for a reason. This means that with lower predictions you will be very lucky if you get an offer at all - and remember the point above about getting those grades.

There is nothing to stop you waiting until you actually have your grades and applying for 2016 entry with a gap year if you do manage to get the required grades for UCL or Imperial - this would avoid holding a very risky Firm (a guarantee of a mega stressful exam season and Results Day).

Advice here about how to spread your choices across a range of required grades : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
(edited 9 years ago)
You've got five options. As long as most of them are realistic choices, there isn't anything wrong in principle with having a "ambitious" choice. However, as returnmigrant said, your chance of getting into UCL or particularly Imperial is very, very low with those predicted grades (and also it depends on what AS grades you got). That's not to say that miracles don't happen and there are stories of people getting into these institutions with results like yours, but they are exceedingly rare. Nevertheless, as long as you accept that it's a gamble (and probably one that won't pay off), there's nothing wrong with using a choice for one of them.
Original post by returnmigrant
There are two issues here :

A particularly strong PS and/or reference can result in an offer. BUT (important bit), you still have to get those high grades in August, not your predicted grades.

They do not need to be 'kind' to anyone else to fill the course, or be 'lenient' on Results Day

There is nothing to stop you waiting until you actually have your grades and applying for 2016 entry with a gap year if you do manage to get the required grades.

I believe that I do have a relatively strong PS, having heard feedback from my peers and teachers, and I have every confidence that I will get those grades (A*AA) as I truly believe that my B prediction was not accurate. I was close to an A at AS and my school tests have always been consistent at an A. With a retake of one of my modules which was what brought the grade down to a B in the first place, I don't feel that getting an A overall will be ridiculously difficult. But the problem is that the unis don't know that.

I was talking in terms of them being lenient with giving out offers, not on results day. I'm fully aware that they don't need to be 'kind' on results day, but I do know that unis always give out more offers than they have places which was where my question came from.

Whilst I want to go to either Imperial or UCL, I'm not so opposed to going outside London that I won't take up a place elsewhere. I have no intention of taking a gap year whatsoever.
Original post by Chlorophile
You've got five options. As long as most of them are realistic choices, there isn't anything wrong in principle with having a "ambitious" choice. However, as returnmigrant said, your chance of getting into UCL or particularly Imperial is very, very low with those predicted grades (and also it depends on what AS grades you got). That's not to say that miracles don't happen and there are stories of people getting into these institutions with results like yours, but they are exceedingly rare. Nevertheless, as long as you accept that it's a gamble (and probably one that won't pay off), there's nothing wrong with using a choice for one of them.

May I ask why you feel that my chances are, and to quote "very, very low with those predicted grades"? They want A*AA and I'm predicted A*AB... Does that 1 grade really make my chances from relatively good to very very low?

I also have a fourth A level that I'm doing but externally so unfortunately I don't have a predicted grade for it but did get an A at AS.
Original post by ResultInExcellence
May I ask why you feel that my chances are, and to quote "very, very low with those predicted grades"? They want A*AA and I'm predicted A*AB... Does that 1 grade really make my chances from relatively good to very very low?

I also have a fourth A level that I'm doing but externally so unfortunately I don't have a predicted grade for it but did get an A at AS.

First of all, Imperial are famous for giving people much higher offers than the "typical" offers on their website. In most cases, that's a minimum. From what I've heard, lots of Imperial offers are actually A*A*A and there was someone on TSR recently who had an A*A*A*AA offer.

Secondly, yes, that one grade really makes your chances low. Most people applying to Imperial are going to be predicted above A*AA. If you're predicted below the entry requirements, that's definitely not going to look good.
First of all, Imperial are famous for giving people much higher offers than the "typical" offers on their website. In most cases, that's a minimum. From what I've heard, lots of Imperial offers are actually A*A*A and there was someone on TSR recently who had an A*A*A*AA offer.

Secondly, yes, that one grade really makes your chances low. Most people applying to Imperial are going to be predicted above A*AA. If you're predicted below the entry requirements, that's definitely not going to look good.

I see, well that was definitely more helpful than your first post, haha. Thanks for the additional information.

May I ask if you have any idea about UCL then?
May I ask if you have any idea about UCL then?

What course are you applying for?
What course are you applying for?

Computer Science
Computer Science

As I said before, I still don't think it's a bad idea to apply to one (or maybe even both) of them. But I still don't think you've got a good chance. I don't know much about UCL's computer science department but certainly Imperial's computing department is incredibly competitive.
As I said before, I still don't think it's a bad idea to apply to one (or maybe even both) of them. But I still don't think you've got a good chance. I don't know much about UCL's computer science department but certainly Imperial's computing department is incredibly competitive.

I'm aware of Imperial's computing department's status and having heard what you just said about Imperial, I may no longer apply there. But I think I'll give UCL a shot anyway.

Imperial's website did say that they'd consider those with a marginally lower prediction than what they advertised so I'm going to need a long hard think over this.

Thanks anyway.
Reply 14
I'm aware of Imperial's computing department's status and having heard what you just said about Imperial, I may no longer apply there. But I think I'll give UCL a shot anyway.

Imperial's website did say that they'd consider those with a marginally lower prediction than what they advertised so I'm going to need a long hard think over this.

Thanks anyway.

I myself have applied for comp sci this year at those unis. Might I suggest looking at bath as well? I personally liked the look of the course, and their offer they gave me is A*AB or AAA which would be a 'safer' option for you. I think UCL are more likely to be lenient than Imperial, but slim chances. I've also heard of the horrors of Imperial offers, so I wouldn't recommend putting them down if you're 'only' going to get A*AA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending