The Student Room Group

Why do people celebrate they birthdays...

Why do people celebrate they birthdays with other people? IMO, the birthday is something personal and that's why I have always celebrated my birthday by myself. Because that was(is) my day, not somebody else's.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Celebrating birthdays are pointless so might as well celebrate with others. Also time is relative so its always my birthday:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not much of a celebration when you're by yourself though is it?
That seems more depressing than anything...
Reply 3
We celebrate our birthdays with other people because it is excuse to have fun and get some nice presents - that's it.

Do you celebrate you birthday on your own because you don't want to celebrate with others, or you can't celebrate it with others?
This is such a typical TSR thread. Only here would you find someone that feels superior because their alone on their birthday.
I don't think it's pointless
You're celebrating how long you've been alive and the fact that you're still here, and your loved ones are celebrating the fact that you're still here too lol.

It's like "wahay I'm 30. I've made it to 30!"

and your mates are like "wahey, you've lived for 30 years. We're glad you're still alive! Congrats!"
Actually, I suppose it's a nice way of saying "wow, your getting older".

Once you reach 21, you'll (or I will) say I'm 21 for the second time the year after reaching 21. :rolleyes:
Because it's something to celebrate, I guess. Wouldn't be much of a celebration on your own :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know, to try and bring some happiness into life :rolleyes:
Reply 10
I'd say you celebrate your birthday with others because it's nice to celebrate with others and share the happiness/fun, especially with your parents because if it wasn't for them, you wouldn't be here to celebrate your birthday. If you want to celebrate it by yourself though then go for it, each to their own.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
This is such a typical TSR thread. Only here would you find someone that feels superior because their alone on their birthday.

:rofl:

Because I like to celebrate it with loved ones, OP. Your choice if you want to spend it alone but majority of people don't.

Haha lol!!!

Tbf there are some hardcore religious types that don't like birthdays

Thouhh they're totally cool with fireworks...

(IMO I think its just a way of saying that birthdays generally cost a lot more)
Reply 13
Original post by Scienceisgood
That's not much of a celebration when you're by yourself though is it?
That seems more depressing than anything...

Well, I don't feel depressed when I am doing it on my own.
Original post by VannR
We celebrate our birthdays with other people because it is excuse to have fun and get some nice presents - that's it.

Do you celebrate you birthday on your own because you don't want to celebrate with others, or you can't celebrate it with others?

I think that this is supposed to be my special day, that is only for me. And I can celebrate it with others, I just don't see the point in doing it.

Can you show me where I said that I feel superior?
What is a celebration without having people to celebrate with?
Surviving another year on planet earth :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by SirMasterKey
What is a celebration without having people to celebrate with?

Well, some people need another people to celebrate with, but I dont.
Reply 17
Original post by Multitalented me
Surviving another year on planet earth :biggrin:

Not exactly what I meant :biggrin:
Original post by Ecro
Well, some people need another people to celebrate with, but I dont.

How would one celebrate on their own?
Reply 19
Original post by SirMasterKey
How would one celebrate on their own?

I don't drink, so it actually gets easier. I can find an interesting book, some good music and food. Or if I feel like dancing, I can dance by myself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply