The Student Room Group

Upgrading my PC for gaming

Hi folks. Right now I have a somewhat basic gaming computer, with 8GB ram and a GTX 650 graphics card, but I want to upgrade! If I were to upgrade, what would you recommend I upgrade to? I want to spend abouttttt, £150-£200?

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you
Is there anything that you're struggling to run with your spec?
Can you tell us a little more, like what motherboard, CPU and PSU you have?
Also, what kind of storage are you currently using?
I'm so tempted to just burn my student loan on that :biggrin:.
Original post by AlexJWise
Hi folks. Right now I have a somewhat basic gaming computer, with 8GB ram and a GTX 650 graphics card, but I want to upgrade! If I were to upgrade, what would you recommend I upgrade to? I want to spend abouttttt, £150-£200?

Whats the rest of the specs like? such as the power supply, processor, case, mobo, etc
You're assuming there isn't something else in the system that will bottleneck it :tongue:
Although it does seem pretty beast, especially if its big brother is anything to go by :smile:
And why the MSI?
Original post by Jammy Duel
You're assuming there isn't something else in the system that will bottleneck it :tongue:
Although it does seem pretty beast, especially if its big brother is anything to go by :smile:
And why the MSI?

Assuming your processor is decent just get a new card, you obviously don't need any more ram or anything else. Games nowadays are way more GPU demanding than CPU. You also don't need a card with super amounts of memory or a dual core graphics card unless you have more than 1 monitor.

To be honest though, your card is fine for playing 99% of games still, I'd wait a bit for more cards to come out that can handle future 4th gen games and then upgrade.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Assuming your processor is decent just get a new card, you obviously don't need any more ram or anything else. Games nowadays are way more GPU demanding than CPU. You also don't need a card with super amounts of memory or a dual core graphics card unless you have more than 1 monitor.

To be honest though, your card is fine for playing 99% of games still, I'd wait a bit for more cards to come out that can handle future 4th gen games and then upgrade.

Well, thus far, they have failed to say what processor is, and you might want to look for the "Thread Starter" label too :tongue:
Also, the "fine for playing 99%" depends on the graphical requirements of the user.
Reply 7
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50GHz

It isn't that I'm struggling to play games, I can play the majority of games on at least medium setting, BUT I'm a big Skyrim goer, and I'd love to be able to smoothly play it on Ultra with a good few mods installed.
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50GHz

It isn't that I'm struggling to play games, I can play the majority of games on at least medium setting, BUT I'm a big Skyrim goer, and I'd love to be able to smoothly play it on Ultra with a good few mods installed.

If your power supply is 600-650watt higher..........you got a few graphics options, GTX770, R9 280, R9 280X, R9 285.

Out of those the gtx770 would be the best.....also another option is getting a new gpu and a new cooler for the cpu to run better.
And not in their budget range :tongue:
Quite a bit out actually. Also, if rumours are true, 300 series will beat it, rumour is 370X set to go against 970, 380X for 980 and 390X for what nvidia obviously have hidden up their sleve, presumably their first 20nm too in the form of the first big maxwell chip (obvioulsy partly locked) in the form of wither 980Ti or Titan 2 (whatever they choose to call it).
Might be worth sitting around a little and getting a 960 when it inevitably launches later this month. Expected to sit somewhere between 770 and 780 and MSRP of $249, so probably a little shy of £200

Expectation is GM204 with 6 SMMs and 1 memory controller disabled, giving 1280 CUDA cores, 192bit Memory Interface and 3GB GDDR5@7Gbps, or it could be GM206, nobody outside nvidia is quite sure yet. Note, that last bit is just speculation (and from WCCF :/)

I'm going to be building a new cost-effective computer soon so if there's anything you want to get rid of, please feel free to let me know, I might be interested in it.

Quick Reply

Latest