The Student Room Group

STEP is too hard?

OK so I'm doing AS Maths at the moment with Edexcel (C1, C2 and S1) and am about 1/2 through C1 (self-study). I got a B in IGCSE Maths but, in my last C1 exam (sat 1/2 the paper) I got a grade A. I am really enjoying AS Maths and was thinking actually about doing it at uni (after having some wider reading)...but then downloaded a STEP I paper...and got very scared. I couldn't understand a single question. Granted, I've only really done C1 at the moment (1/2 of it properly) - but still, those papers look ridiculous.

What do you guys out there, who want to apply for Maths or are already doing it, think of the STEP paper and how have you prepared for it?

Thanks - any other information on STEP and Maths at uni in general would be most appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Air Conditioner
OK so I'm doing AS Maths at the moment with Edexcel (C1, C2 and S1) and am about 1/2 through C1 (self-study). I got a B in IGCSE Maths but, in my last C1 exam (sat 1/2 the paper) I got a grade A. I am really enjoying AS Maths and was thinking actually about doing it at uni (after having some wider reading)...but then downloaded a STEP I paper...and got very scared. I couldn't understand a single question. Granted, I've only really done C1 at the moment (1/2 of it properly) - but still, those papers look ridiculous.

What do you guys out there, who want to apply for Maths or are already doing it, think of the STEP paper and how have you prepared for it?

Thanks - any other information on STEP and Maths at uni in general would be most appreciated.

You won't make any sense of STEP if you're only working on C1 at the moment - C1 is barely above GCSE level!

Put the STEP paper away somewhere for the time being and see how you feel about maths when you've completed your AS year.

(If you get to a point where C1 and C2 seem ridiculously easy, that's the time to start reading ahead in C3 and C4 to understand what comes next. When you've got C1-C4 under your belt then you can start looking at STEP again)
Original post by davros
You won't make any sense of STEP if you're only working on C1 at the moment - C1 is barely above GCSE level!

Put the STEP paper away somewhere for the time being and see how you feel about maths when you've completed your AS year.

(If you get to a point where C1 and C2 seem ridiculously easy, that's the time to start reading ahead in C3 and C4 to understand what comes next. When you've got C1-C4 under your belt then you can start looking at STEP again)

Okay - I guess I was being a bit silly then! So far C1 has been pretty straightforward so might start C2 a bit early. Thanks again.
STEP is aimed at the top 2% of the maths a levels. And ontop of that very few people do extremely well. Concetrate on getting 95+ on all your modules and concentrate on finishing c3 c4 as quick as possible. Then start on step. M2-3 might be help aswell. Step takes very long to get used too. When finishing c1-4 do AEA papers then MAT papers and then start step as this is a good transition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
There's usually at least one question on a step paper that's accessible without specific a-level knowledge (although it'll still be hard) so you could have a go at that.

Quick Reply

Latest